While we're all talking about regretting stuff...

What's Hot

Comments

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    eSully said:
    lloyd said:
    I'm the same, my band is on the way out and I've no interest in sitting and playing the guitar for enjoyment-I have never really have enjoyed just playing it for its own sake.

I did when I was younger-under 21 I suppose.

Without a band to play music with it all becomes a little pointless for me, which pisses me off but what can you do? There's no point doing it because you think you should.

I won't be starting another band anytime soon either.
    Are you the frontman for your band? My mate is the exact same, great guitarist, great frontman but pretty much no interest in playing guitar if it isn't in a band.
    No I don't sing.

I'm not sure what it is, I've never been interested in becoming technically good on the guitar, never enjoyed listening to solos or wanting to play them.

I play the guitar to write songs and because I like to make music with my mates it all starts and finishes there to be fair.

I'm sure I'll pick it up occasionally to noodle about with and turn the amp right up but I'm not sure I'll be able to sit and write whole songs on my own.

Think it's the collaboration that I enjoy. Guitar on it's own - playing or listening to - bores me.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I'm having to leave my band, last gig is next month. Regretting it before I've even done it.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7936
    I haven't played live since the chisel/hand thing a year and a half ago. It was on top of a pretty miserable time (missus not talking to me for months) so I used it as a handy excuse to bail out of the band and hide myself away.

The now ex-missus has finally moved out (two years of not talking to me) and I have the house to myself but apart from the occasional evening noodle on bass I'm not enthusiastic enough to think about playing properly again, the finger is still a bit stiff and not quite numb so feels a little disconnected, and I know that it'll take a bit of work to adapt to that and get back up to speed and right now I can't be arsed ;)

I'm hoping that once things have settled down I'll start again, I could jump back in with the old band in some capacity if I wanted to but I'm not sure if I'd rather find something new to do.

I definitely regret sticking a chisel in my hand ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29224
    Paul_C said:

And they say it's better to regret something you did do than something you didn't...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    Sporky;1131080" said:
    Paul_C said:

And they say it's better to regret something you did do than something you didn't...
    I'd say there are exceptions.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28103
    I regret "our" drummer throwing a moody about 2 years ago and hanging up his sticks.

Although it was nothing formal and only a very loose "band" (we went through too many bassists to count or remember), it was my opportunity to play with others and a prompt to learn stuff to play reasonably properly.

Since then, I've not played as intensively, nor had the prompt to learn new stuff.

Miss it.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17948
    tFB Trader
    Well, just for the record, the drummer took my "I don't know" and he's running with it. Seems pretty keen to reform. For all my foolishness, I'm actually considering it.

I'm also deeply, deeply ashamed about that fact :D
    Do it. 

When I'm out of bands I tend to give up playing. 

I've come to realise that playing with good musicians the bit I like. I find noodling on a guitar on my own quite boring. 
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    It's good to take a break from playing every now and then. My old band split up in 2012 (or we just stopped playing more like) and I didn't touch any of my gear for over two years. What made me go back to it? I think it was just seeing some of my friends play live, and just seeing more live bands in general. It took me about a year to finally get a new band going after that.

Another good way that helped me get back into playing guitar was playing on some cheap keyboard/synthesizer thing. I'm more of a writing song/riffs person than a general guitar noodler, and the simplicity and easy going nature of just twatting around and conjuring up melodies made me get the creative juices flowing.

Naturally of course when I wanted to start playing again I sold the majority of my gear and 'upgraded'. That helped a bit as well.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I regret not having the balls to actually get out there and into a band. I don't rate my own ability, and I don't have a repertoire because I much prefer playing music I've written.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27165
    hobbio said:
    I regret not having the balls to actually get out there and into a band. I don't rate my own ability, and I don't have a repertoire because I much prefer playing music I've written.
    What's to regret? Forgive my ignorance of your situation, but what's stopping you now?

I do regret not getting into the original band scene in my 20s; nobody wants to know when you're at the end of your 30s (fans, labels and management companies alike). I joined my first originals band at the age of 34, and it's not exactly been an easy ride as a result.

...and that's not even counting the fact that I'm a broken shell of a human being now. Would've been much easier back when I was fit and healthy ;)
    <space for hire>
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31263
     I have no regrets.

I am the Edith Piaf of theFretboard.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    management deal
    Is that where you pay someone to organise shit gigs in pubs across the country that you don't get paid for instead of shit gigs nearby you don't get paid for?

I'm always very cynically of this sort of thing!

I wish I was in a band, but I don't want to be in a shit band (who does?), but don't have the time and energy to be in a good band, and I don't want to "make it", which most people who are any good do. :(
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    hobbio said:
    What's to regret? Forgive my ignorance of your situation, but what's stopping you now?

I do regret not getting into the original band scene in my 20s; nobody wants to know when you're at the end of your 30s (fans, labels and management companies alike). I joined my first originals band at the age of 34, and it's not exactly been an easy ride as a result.

...and that's not even counting the fact that I'm a broken shell of a human being now. Would've been much easier back when I was fit and healthy ;)

Aye, I wish the band I'm in (actually just been told we've broken up today actually) I joined when I was 21. As it was I was 31 but there we go. I did it for 3 years and played a shed load of gigs. 34 now, that will be my last originals band I reckon......

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

management deal
    Is that where you pay someone to organise shit gigs in pubs across the country that you don't get paid for instead of shit gigs nearby you don't get paid for?

I'm always very cynically of this sort of thing!

I wish I was in a band, but I don't want to be in a shit band (who does?), but don't have the time and energy to be in a good band, and I don't want to "make it", which most people who are any good do. :(
    To be fair, of the 30 or 40 gigs I did with the band that's maybe-reforming, we only had two or three which were shit and devoid of folk. Very few were in pubs either (probably five or six) - the rest were in proper venues with a stage, a house PA and a sound engineer. Most we got paid for (at about a quarter-to-half the rate of a covers band, which ain't bad considering  we don't have to lug a PA and our sets were usually 30-40 minutes).

The ones we organised ourselves, we'd usually make about £200 - £300 on after paying the other bands.

And yes, we'd be paying somebody to run as a booking agent, sort out distribution and manage PR to a limited degree. Original bands don't expect to make money ;)
    <space for hire>

What's stopping me now? Finding likeminded people, crippling stage fright that applies to any situation where I'm playing in front of people, lack of faith in my own ability...

I've got so many riffs and half-written tunes I'd like to hammer out into completed songs with a band.

hobbio said:

What's stopping me now? Finding likeminded people, crippling stage fright that applies to any situation where I'm playing in front of people, lack of faith in my own ability...

I've got so many riffs and half-written tunes I'd like to hammer out into completed songs with a band.

That one's easy to fix. I had the same problem; I just hid behind the PA stack on one side of the stage. Gradually, gig by gig, I ended up shuffling (very slowly, obviously) further away from the edge of the stage until I was actually looking at people wondering how the hell I got there.
    <space for hire>
    I've only ever gigged from a band loft. If I ever get my shit together then I may well have to follow your lead.

hobbio said:
    I've only ever gigged from a band loft. If I ever get my shit together then I may well have to follow your lead.
    Your first gig's audience has to be one of two things: either completely full of friends and family, or completely devoid of them. Attempting to do a half-and-half only increases the pressure, in my opinion.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31263
    I regret my parents refused to buy me rollerblades when I was a kid and bought me the regular ones.

Cheapskates.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    My local family are all professional musicians in one way or another, so yeah, pressure.