While we're all talking about regretting stuff...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27165
    Well, somewhat hilariously for a band that's defunct, we apparently have a management deal waiting for us (a guy who left Earache Records and set up on his own). Strange, strange times.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28104
    Well, somewhat hilariously for a band that's defunct, we apparently have a management deal waiting for us (a guy who left Earache Records and set up on his own). Strange, strange times.
    Sounds like you're being pointed in a direction ... what's to lose by giving it a go?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    digitalscream;1131784" said:
    hobbio said:

What's stopping me now? Finding likeminded people, crippling stage fright that applies to any situation where I'm playing in front of people, lack of faith in my own ability...I've got so many riffs and half-written tunes I'd like to hammer out into completed songs with a band.

That one's easy to fix. I had the same problem; I just hid behind the PA stack on one side of the stage. Gradually, gig by gig, I ended up shuffling (very slowly, obviously) further away from the edge of the stage until I was actually looking at people wondering how the hell I got there.
    I've witnessed this on several occasions.
    I often toyed with the idea of moving his pedalboard while he wasn't looking........
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    digitalscream;1131796" said:
    hobbio said:

I've only ever gigged from a band loft. If I ever get my shit together then I may well have to follow your lead.

Your first gig's audience has to be one of two things: either completely full of friends and family, or completely devoid of them. Attempting to do a half-and-half only increases the pressure, in my opinion.
    I see where I went wrong.
    I had gigs devoid of friends and family AND regular audience members.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I tend to regret things I have done rather than things I haven't. I suspect that means I am an idiot.
    edited June 2016
    digitalscream;1131784" said:
    That one's easy to fix. I had the same problem; I just hid behind the PA stack on one side of the stage. Gradually, gig by gig, I ended up shuffling (very slowly, obviously) further away from the edge of the stage until I was actually looking at people wondering how the hell I got there.
    I've witnessed this on several occasions.
    I often toyed with the idea of moving his pedalboard while he wasn't looking........
    You'll have a job on your hands...the one I use for carpeted stages is stuck down with velcro so the singer can't kick it and dislodge stuff ;)

It occurs to me that if this goes ahead (still very much up in the air), we may actually stand a chance of touring Europe before the wall goes up. That wouldn't be a terrible thing.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7414
    Well son, a funny thing about regret is, that it is better to regret something that you have done. Than to regret something you haven't done. 

And by the way, if you see your mom this weekend be sure to tell her... 

SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN SATAN

(By the way this is my way of saying go for it)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thread resurrection!

...and possibly band resurrection. The drummer, the singer and I are going out for dinner next week to discuss things. Singer's being a bit cagey (totally understandable, given the manner in which I killed it), but she did let slip that she's looking forward to being able to record the last song we wrote (the heavy one from my Kraken demo clips).

Doubly-glad I didn't sell my Matrix cab now. Also, it would kinda-sorta justify my latest guitar purchase.

OK, so it doesn't justify it at all. No matter.

Unexpectedly, I actually feel a little mushy. Much as they were collectively the cause of a lot of stress for me, I do actually miss those guys.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    It's quite strange reading these posts, but having never been in a band I won't understand. 

On the flip side, I have never been in a band and don't have the interest (or time) to do it.  Then again I must pick my accoustic up 5 days a week.  

I do miss (regret) not having an electric, loop pedal & delay anymore.  I wrote some nice pieces on them.  Easily changed if I wish, but I didn't have the time to move it all to computer and mix it, and I probably have less time now. 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    Good luck man. 
  • FatfingersFatfingers Frets: 501
    I gigged four of five times a week back in my 20s and 30s, before moving away to get a 'proper' job. Kids, work and a couple of big relationship meltdowns then took up all my time and the only gig I've done in the last 20 years is at my wedding a couple of years ago. I got a few old muso mates back together and we had a ball doing it.

But now I'm stuck 300 miles away from them and while I try to play in my living room it's slipping now. Playing on my own I find pretty boring. Doing that gig reminded me that the pleasure for me is the interaction of playing with other people. So I empathise with anyone struggling to find the drive to play on their own, as I'm the same. 
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    No regrets but going to Greece on a whim made me realise how much I truly love being around loads of different people everyday and how much I have had my head stuck in the sand.  It is like opening Pandora's box to the past to how I used to live in my alternate life for years on end abroad.

I was happy before I went and living a brain dead simple life of self sustenance, bad hygiene and self employment, I was miserable and drunk for a day in anxiety over there, wanting to get back to my niche to what I do best like an idiot abroad, then I was happier as I always used to be. 

Now, back home, the simple life, crap weather and the local pub and going out occasionally and busting my balls just seems like a completely retarded way of padding out a limited lifetime.  For starters where am I going to get the opportunity to chat up Slovakian girls or share a beer with Finnish bikers and share good times with every nationality under the sun around here?

What is this excuse for a mediocre life with wife and kids, job and mortgage in a realm where you can supposedly allow your conscious mind to be truly free and put your soul to rest under three layers of cloud cover because I'd really love to know.  I'd buy tickets for that.

Just suppose I'II have to go back to self medicating and sticking my head in the sand and putting my soul back in the little golden box I had it previously stored in and maybe letting it out for a few hours a week in small, imaginary controlled bursts.

Music, art and literature and creating things and sharing them are the only reasonable exit strategies to a purposeful life we have, I wouldn't give up on it for the world personally and if it bothers you, make the changes to implement the change..

Often the things we miss are but smaller boxes of souls of distraction anyway, but time relative and it'll soon be gone.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27897
    Do it!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24882
    I regret wasting my talent - I've not done gig in over 20 years - marriage, parenthood and earning a living have all got in the way.

Hope before I drop that I'll have another go....

if if you feel open to going back, I think you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1044
    do it. Good band, and you're a talented chap :)
    do it. Good band, and you're a talented chap :)
    Thank you, sir :)

Well, just for some closure...met the guys tonight, and it looks like I have a band again. Still a lot of details to be worked out, but the intent is there. Just need to get another bassist (there's one in the frame).

Strange times indeed.
    <space for hire>
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4225
    God is everyone on a downer or what? What a miserable bunch of gits you are. 
    I love playing, but will have to retire soon as it's getting too painful to play, sad but so what thousands worse off than me. I feel lucky I have gigged almost 40 years without a break, got so many good and bad memories of gigs.