Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What exactly is Jeremy Corbyn's plan?

What's Hot

Comments

• oafoaf Frets: 301
    You'll have to tell Collins! I'm sure they'll be pleased to hear from you ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • adamrossadamross Frets: 18
    The man has seemed intent on pressing the self destruct button since he was elected to leader, at a certain point you've got to say enough is enough, for me the Virgin Train stunt was that point as it showed that he didn't have any foresight and also he could have gone on literally any train into London in the morning to find that there wasn't just no seats but no floor space for sitting either, totally incompetent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4382
    adamross said:
    The man has seemed intent on pressing the self destruct button since he was elected to leader, at a certain point you've got to say enough is enough, for me the Virgin Train stunt was that point as it showed that he didn't have any foresight and also he could have gone on literally any train into London in the morning to find that there wasn't just no seats but no floor space for sitting either, totally incompetent.
    Virgin Trains was *so* yesterday.  Now we have a party that's seemingly unable to organise its own annual conference.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/aug/24/labour-conference-could-be-cancelled-over-security-row-says-unite
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Taking on Richard Branson in not clever. He has a very large wallet, made his money in marketing and is extremely competent and not at all cuddly. I suspect he will have a Micheal Foot effect on Tory party coffers. The chances of Sturgeon putting him into power will drop as well as Scottish business donor money dries up. Wonder what odds I can get for a Tory majority in 2025 and 30. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    adamross said:
    Anyone who travels by train in London knows that in the morning, unless there's been a cancellation or two, the trains out of London are usually more than half empty. As you point any commuter line INTO London in the morning and he wouldn't have found floor to sit on (and I see Virgin Trains going into Euston with nobody in first class - that's 4-5 totally empty carriages - pointless - proves HS2 is a total white elephant).

Anyhoo, back to Corbyn - amateur spin gone wrong.

As for Branson using unauthorised film - so did Corbyn in filming the other punters in the first place !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11410
    Why didn't they book the seats in advance and reserve them?

Might have cost less, too.

Not the sort of financial nous you'd want from someone who wants to be PM, is it?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12076
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    scrumhalf said:
    Why didn't they book the seats in advance and reserve them?

Might have cost less, too.

Not the sort of financial nous you'd want from someone who wants to be PM, is it?
    And as a friend of mine commented today, you'd think a prospective PM would be assertive enough to politely ask someone to move their bags off the seat so he could sit down.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72956
    he's not a happy bunny
    He's a very silly man.

I had hoped for better. I was wrong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    It's like watching a series of The Thick of it, without seeing the back room shenanigans.  John McDonnell as Malcolm Tucker?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22520
    edited August 2016
    adamross said:
    Indeed. He could have accompanied me two weeks ago returning from London Paddington  to Bristol at the weekend. I didn't even bother heading into the carriage: the row of people waiting for a seat before we had left Paddington indicated that I should find my spot on the floor and get comfy. 

There have been many times with Momentum's online articles and releases on Facebook et al that have felt like they're the ones calling the media shots for his campaign and he goes along with it. In this instance, it's a colossal failure.  I don't think this was planned through, it has the air of amateur slapdash politics and improvised bullshittery, which is a pretty decent description of Momentum. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72956
    He should take this as a perfect illustration of why he should be much more determined to keep media stunts out of politics. Not only because it's a bad way to do politics, but because he's really crap at it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    He should take this as a perfect illustration of why he should be much more determined to keep media stunts out of politics. Not only because it's a bad way to do politics, but because he's really crap at it.
    It's too late for that. It could be the pivotal event to hasten his loss of support.  It's a worse sin than eating a bacon sandwich badly

His one positive image to rely on  was "decent, honest, not like the rest", which  has now been  shown to be false, as many suspected - but now everyone knows

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    The problem is that he lives in an acho chamber and will not mix with people who disagree with him. 
    ICBM said:
    It's too late for that. It could be the pivotal event to hasten his loss of support.  It's a worse sin than eating a bacon sandwich badly

His one positive image to rely on  was "decent, honest, not like the rest", which  has now been  shown to be false, as many suspected - but now everyone knows

The only problem with this is that the whole episode will only serve to strengthen his support among the more rabid Momentum arm of the membership who see the PLP and "MSM" as "enemies".  They're the one's who'll take the perceived moral high ground on the matter and take great delight in electing him leader.

He's already pretty much gained control of the NEC; his activists are busying themselves at constituency level too, so those "Blairite scum" moderate MPs who show any sign of dissent, no matter how big their mandates from the wider electorate, are going to start finding themselves deselected when the boundary changes go through next year.

I doubt he'll resign even if Labour gets smashed into next week in 2020 either, he's said as much.  It's increasingly hard to see how the party's going to right itself to be honest.  Anecdotal I know, but me and a handful of others I know who'd ordinarily vote Labour are pretty much done with the current shower.
    Basically, what @Evilmags managed to convey in about a twentieth of the words :)
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 535
    randella said:
    Basically, what @Evilmags managed to convey in about a twentieth of the words :)
    Yeah, this - I've just failed to find it, but I read an article a few weeks ago about their "Bunker mentality"

On my FB feed earlier, someone posted a pic of a much younger Blair sharing a drivers cab of a train with Branson, with a caption like "Virgin's latest attempt to smear Corbyn fails due to consistency error".

It takes a special kind of mindset to view "Corbyn launches unprovoked attack on Virgin and lies to make a political point, Virgin calls him on it" to as an attempt smear Corbyn.
    randella said:
    ICBM said:

The only problem with this is that the whole episode will only serve to strengthen his support among the more rabid Momentum arm of the membership who see the PLP and "MSM" as "enemies".  They're the one's who'll take the perceived moral high ground on the matter and take great delight in electing him leader.

He's already pretty much gained control of the NEC; his activists are busying themselves at constituency level too, so those "Blairite scum" moderate MPs who show any sign of dissent, no matter how big their mandates from the wider electorate, are going to start finding themselves deselected when the boundary changes go through next year.

I doubt he'll resign even if Labour gets smashed into next week in 2020 either, he's said as much.  It's increasingly hard to see how the party's going to right itself to be honest.  Anecdotal I know, but me and a handful of others I know who'd ordinarily vote Labour are pretty much done with the current shower.
    yes, but I think amongst the general public, any  lingering  suspension of disbelief will have been dissipated

I don't know what will happen, if  MPs will defect before they are dumped.

It has always  reminded me of the "holier than thou" student politics of the 80s: everything is black and white,  constant SJW and virtue signalling competitions before anyone started using those terms.

I think labour will have a shocking result in the next GE
    I would definitely not vote for them with Corbyn in charge (or anyone else  with a similar manifesto), even though I've always voted  Labour

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1633
    randella said:
    ICBM said:

yes, but I think amongst the general public, any  lingering  suspension of disbelief will have been dissipated

It has always  reminded me of the "holier than thou" student politics of the 80s: everything is black and white,  constant SJW and virtue signalling competitions before anyone started using those terms.

I would definitely not vote for them with Corbyn in charge (or anyone else  with a similar manifesto), even though I've always voted  Labour

Bizarre comment.

Vote in your interests, and those of your community: that's not manichean, it's common sense. Don't base your vote on some sort of image prejudice.

'I think Labour will have a shocking showing in the next GE'

'I would never vote for Labour under Corbyn'.

It's a common - self fulfilling - theme.

randella said:
    ICBM said:

Bizarre comment.

Vote in your interests, and those of your community: that's not manichean, it's common sense. Don't base your vote on some sort of image prejudice.

'I think Labour will have a shocking showing in the next GE'

'I would never vote for Labour under Corbyn'.

It's a common - self fulfilling - theme.

I disagree with Corbyn's ideas, as well as thinking he'd be a shit PM