Ugh. FML.

What's Hot
So, last night after work I thought I'd fire up Elite: Dangerous and have a blast blowing things up for an hour or so. Reboot my machine into Windows (yuck, but needs must), start loading the game and go away for 10 minutes to feed the dogs.

Come back, and...the monitors are blank, and there's a distinct smell of burning silicon.

The closed-loop water cooler had died, thus frying the CPU, motherboard, new graphics card, power supply and probably the RAM as well. The disks seem to be OK (and I have obsessive backups anyway). All in all, about £700 of damage.

The best part? Wifey had removed the accidental damage upgrade from the insurance when she renewed it two months ago.

Currently typing this on my little Lenovo Yoga 2 laptop. It seemed like a bit of an extravagance when I bought it from @Sporky a few months ago...now it's the only way I can get any work done :(
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27897
    Yish :( 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29224
    Oh bugger. Sorry to hear that chief. And I'm out of old PC bits or I'd have sent you something to keep going.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27165
    Sporky said:
    Oh bugger. Sorry to hear that chief. And I'm out of old PC bits or I'd have sent you something to keep going.
    Aye, I figured I'd probably exhausted your stock by now :D

Yeah, it's a total shit. Especially since I've only just splurged on an upgraded graphics card :P
    <space for hire>
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    edited July 2016
    I think your wife should buy you a guitar to demonstrate the perils of false economy.
    On the bright side, I've just discovered that DisplayLink have sorted out the Linux drivers for their USB 3.0 video adapters, so I can still run a third screen without too many issues (there are some ghosting issues with the mouse pointer around window borders, but I can live with that).
    <space for hire>
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12123
    ugh, commiserations 
  • UnorthodoxUnorthodox Frets: 413
    Surely you must have had some high temperature shutdown points set in the bios?

Years ago when I had a water cooled PC I was playing Battlefield 2 when things started to slow down and get unstable. I had a temperature monitor on my desk which was showing 100C which was shortly followed by the smell of burning thermal paste. Turns out the pump had failed to start. Thankfully there was no damage at the time.
    Surely you must have had some high temperature shutdown points set in the bios?
    Yup. It just didn't work :(
    <space for hire>
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777

My amp is still dead, and I broke a string a couple of days ago. I want to raise my action slightly and don't have time to do that before I go on holiday, so have had to play my Epiphone Les Paul Special II for the past few days with strings that haven't been changed since November.

OK, not as bad as your PC problems, but trying to make you feel better.. 

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    If it makes you feel any better, this wouldn't have been covered under the AD section of your household insurance anyway. It would be classed as mechanical breakdown, rather than accidental damage.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

hobbio said:
    If it makes you feel any better, this wouldn't have been covered under the AD section of your household insurance anyway. It would be classed as mechanical breakdown, rather than accidental damage.
    Hmmm. Maybe if I spill a drink on it? :D
    <space for hire>
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Does the pump come with any warranty?
    It only covers the cooler itself. Given that I absolutely don't want another piece of shit like this one, I won't be taking advantage of it; I'm going back to air cooling.
    <space for hire>
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4655
    Doh!
  • Does the pump come with any warranty?
    It only covers the cooler itself. Given that I absolutely don't want another piece of shit like this one, I won't be taking advantage of it; I'm going back to air cooling.
    Take advantage of it and move it on straight away towards one that works!
    Honestly? I wouldn't knowingly inflict such a piece of junk on anyone else.
    <space for hire>
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6192
    If only some eBay sellers were as honourable.

• Does the pump come with any warranty?
    I understand that - but if it's a brand new replacement, it would be reasonable to expect someone research what they wanted, form an opinion and decide to buy.

There is no reason why you couldn't advertise by saying it's a warranty replacement as the last one failed and you wouldn't trust putting another in your pc. 

I dunno the going rate on a cooler but your troubles must be worth a bottle of wine or two!

I'm not promoting scamming or anything of thr sorts!
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Name and shame then, at least help other people avoid them.