Ugh. FML.

What's Hot

Comments

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    How did it do so much damage? Surely the cpu getting too hot should just kill that (and motherboard if it's really bad ) or did it leak? 

I've fried processors hard enough that it blackened the chip and I just swapped it for a new one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    And I moan if mine hits 37. I'll have a look see if I've got any parts. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12123
    Here's my bad day:

I had a mirrored hard drive,
    backed up to an external USB drive
    I'd spent the last 6 months scanning in and trimming old negatives

on Christmas bloody Eve, well 1am or so Christmas day, the main drive blows, in the middle of a full (not incremental backup),  and the mirrored copy is unreadable

I'd spent years with every type of tape backup at home, Travan, DAT, etc, and this happens
    Because I have a lot of important data (recorded music and photos tbh), I had  another USB from 6 months previously, so only lost  6 months out of  20 years

Best of luck to you all -  and backup like your life depends on it (Now I have mirrored  NAS and multiple USB drives incl offsite, why let big firms be the only ones to cover their arses)

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24882
    The way this thread's going, Bucket will be in moaning about being done for using his phone while driving....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27165
    Myranda said:
    How did it do so much damage? Surely the cpu getting too hot should just kill that (and motherboard if it's really bad ) or did it leak? 

I've fried processors hard enough that it blackened the chip and I just swapped it for a new one
    Looks like it started with the pump dying, so the CPU got insanely hot and drew way too much power, which blew the power circuit on the motherboard, which took out the graphics card.

It can happen if the temperature rises faster than the motherboard's temperature sensor can react, which is why the thermal protection thresholds didn't save me. I also didn't realise quite how low the safe maximum temperature on that CPU was (it was only 3 degrees higher than the threshold).

That's a problem with fluid-based coolers - the block on the CPU has very little thermal capacity, so if the pump fails then the CPU will instantly hit massive temperatures (which is what happens when you've got 95-130W pumping in with nowhere to go). If a fan goes with a heatsink and air cooling, the heatsink acts as something of a buffer and slows down the heat increase, which gives the board time to react in a safe and timely manner.
    <space for hire>
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13054
    My  computer stopped working last week so I know your pain.

Trying to work out which bits to buy is such a faff. One day model numbers etc will actually be intuitive...
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6240
    tFB Trader
    I feel your pain, that is one expensive error! 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24732
    Would you like me to break into your house and 'steal' your computer ? ;-)
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    Would you like me to break into your house and 'steal' your computer ? ;-)
    :D

Well, I've just ordered replacement parts (including a pretty good air cooler). Core i7 6700, Arctic Freezer i32 cooler, MSI gaming motherboard, 32GB DDR4, modular power supply (just in case) and a GeForce 970 graphics card. It's not exactly top-spec, but it's a definite upgrade. I would rather have had a GeForce 1060 or 1070, but the reasonably-priced ones are out of stock at Scan :(
    <space for hire>
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    R.I.P. in peace

Oh well, I guess it gives you an excuse to upgrade, and saves you the bother of selling your older second hand parts :D 
    Yuh know, silver linings and all that.
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited July 2016
    @digitalscream ;;

Morgan is a PC Engineer.
    He won't be able to fix what you've broken but he may be able to help with a Temp replacement, maybe from a machine we can 'Find' so to speak.

PM me the most basic thing you could get away with using and i will see what Morgan can do to help.

You're not far enough away to make it a problem.
    Alnico said:
    @digitalscream ;;

Morgan is a PC Engineer.
    He won't be able to fix what you've broken but he may be able to help with a Temp replacement, maybe from a machine we can 'Find' so to speak.

PM me the most basic thing you could get away with using and i will see what Morgan can do to help.

You're not far enough away to make it a problem.
    Appreciate that dude, but as noted at the bottom of the last page, I've ordered myself something of an upgrade as recompense. Sometimes, I'm really rather weak :D
    <space for hire>
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Hey no worries man, i will be honest i skimmed that to get to the bottom of the page to reply. It's another day up there in the stratosphere with the aliens for me unfortunately.
    Glad you're sorted though.

:)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29224
    'Course, with all that new power you'll be wanting a QHD monitor to make the most of it...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    'Course, with all that new power you'll be wanting a QHD monitor to make the most of it...
    One? Peasant. ;-) 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29224
    edited July 2016
    Well, my current monitor tree is one QHD, one UHD and one FHD.

Used to be one QHD, one UHD and tow 2k, but someone made me an offer.

The practical choice now is three UHD, of course, but for work it's useful to have some variation - particularly if some of them are ornery about HPD and colour space.

QHD at 27" is a bit of a sweet-spot for desktop use, in my experience. I believe @digitalscream can vouch for my monitor GAS rate.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Oh yes, @Sporky is definitely addicted to buying monitors, which I profited from quite nicely. I have two of his Samsung 23.8" 2048x1152 monitors here, as well as my 24" 1920x1200 jobby.

Currently have the two Samsungs hanging off my laptop - got a great little gizmo which adds an extra two outputs via USB 3.0 and works nicely in Linux, so I could theoretically have 4 screens on a little laptop...which won't be happening, because my new toys arrive tomorrow and the laptop will go back to being the "want to work while sitting in the lounge" computer.
    <space for hire>
    Yes.  Sporky is addicted... I'm not. Nope. No sir... Pay no attention to the black rectangles behind the curtain. 

But I still want more... My setup is currently uneven. 1x 4k, 1x QHD and 2x FHD (and a spare FHD, and a 1980 x 1200 attached to the server) 

I'd really love three of those 120 hz 4k OLED 30 inch screens Dell just announced... But they $5000 each... So maybe not :( not sure I could justify spending more than a years student loan on 3 monitors... Even if they are shiny and lovely 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17948
    tFB Trader
    What do you do with them all?

At work I have one big 4k monitor and a 15" retina screen. At home I'm fine on just my laptop.
    Well... The plan was to use the 4k for movies and the three QHDs for gaming and desktop use... But I found myself unable to afford more. And I rather like the 4k for desktop space... 

But I like to spread my work out... 

I get very frustrated with just one screen... Too much alt + tab 'ing. 

Now if I could get enough monitors to use one for every browser tab and get the browser to "Open link in new monitor" I think I'd be over the moon