Is there anything you would kill for?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    I am not sure I'd personally do the killing but anyone who uses the word 'vinyls' as a plural for 'vinyl' records clearly shouldn't be allowed to live.
    What is the pleural for vinyl?
    'Vinyl', as in 'he has a great collection of vinyl'.

ah right.  I don't have any vinyls, just CDs.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23850
    Can you kill the undead? jonnyburgo said:
    I'd kill a zombie if it was trying to bite me.

Yeah, you take it from undead to... proper dead.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29224
    octatonic said:
    I am not sure I'd personally do the killing but anyone who uses the word 'vinyls' as a plural for 'vinyl' records clearly shouldn't be allowed to live.
    Also anyone who says "Legos".
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Sporky said:
    octatonic said:
    Also anyone who says "Legos".
    I've heard it further compounded with "a legos" I almost vomited bricks! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29224
    May such people always stand on Quadro.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6264
    Anyone who says PIN number.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Other than to protect someone (or myself obviously) I really don't think I could.
    I'd have no problems in getting into fisticuffs, but I really couldn't kill someone in cold blood.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5349
    for fun
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    The OP has asked a good question but a more interesting question would be "who or what is it perfectly ok to kill?" 

Who's rules do we live by? Does circumstance change the rules? Does it matter who lives or dies as long as it isn't us? 

Hmmmm..... 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9870
    edited July 2016
    There's an interesting psychological test which, if I remember correctly, goes something like this...

Imagine a train track which at some point divides into two tracks, A and B, and you have control of the points. The default is that the train will take track A.

A person is standing at the end of track A, and you can save their life by moving the points so that the train diverts to track B. Would you move the points? Pretty much 100% of people respond that, yes, they would move the points.

Next, imagine two people at the end of track A, but only person at the end of track B. So this time moving the points saves two lives, but will result in death of the person at the end of track B. Now most respondents won't intervene since it means they're complicit in causing a death. Even if that one person at the end of track B is Adolf Hitler most people still don't want to have actively taken a life.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited July 2016
    I'd like to come face to face with your insect animosity.  Psychos wrapped in baby cushions.  I would feast off you carcasses if they weren't so fat and untasty. I mean if they were worth eating at all.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    edited July 2016
    ADMIN EDIT: C'mon, dude. There are limits.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6944
    HAL9000 said:
    There's an interesting psychological test which, if I remember correctly, goes something like this...

Imagine a train track which at some point divides into two tracks, A and B, and you have control of the points. The default is that the train will take track A.

A person is standing at the end of track A, and you can save their life by moving the points so that the train diverts to track B. Would you move the points? Pretty much 100% of people respond that, yes, they would move the points.

Next, imagine two people at the end of track A, but only person at the end of track B. So this time moving the points saves two lives, but will result in death of the person at the end of track B. Now most respondents won't intervene since it means they're complicit in causing a death. Even if that one person at the end of track B is Adolf Hitler most people still don't want to have actively taken a life.

What do the shrinks tell you about the mindset of people who choose B? 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9870
    TBH I don't remember. A bit of Googling suggests that the test is known as The Trolley Problem and was designed as an ethical rather than a psychological test. Seems the right answer should be whatever results in the greatest good i.e. most lives saved. I had got my facts muddled though - most people in the second test would change the points. However, an analogous test is would you deliberately push one person onto a single track to save two people who would otherwise be killed by the train. People who were happy to reset points were not happy to give one person a shove even though ultimately the situation is identical (one life for two).
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    The problem plus others is covered in this series of lectures.

Iamnobody said:
    HAL9000 said:

I think in truth, most people would ignore A and B entirely and get on with their lives.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34026
    Iamnobody said:
    HAL9000 said:

It is a rudimentary psychopath test and the thinking is that psychopath's can turn off their empathy and without too much thought divert the train.

I'm a bit dubious about this test though.
    It is hard to prove though, because any test that doesn't involve the death of a person will be easily seen through as a test with no consequences.
    Sitting here right now, I would think that I would have no problem flicking the switch and it would be difficult to construct a test where I thought someone would actually die from my actions.
    I don't think of myself as a psychopath though
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    I'd flick the switch. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7362
    edited July 2016
    Femidom...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>