Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

ehx Soul Food - Klone?

What's Hot

Comments

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Why do people like klons? Im asking this never having played one.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27692
    Essentially just because it's a really nice overdrive. It works really nicely as a leave-on clean boost (basically just adds a bit of warmth and sparkle) but it's actually really nice right through the gain range. Just a bit more interesting than a TS imo.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    I saw a rather cryptic message over on TGP from a well known boutique overdrive builder that EHX have been working closely with a third party on these overdrives. Said third party was said to know a LOT about building good overdrive pedals.

There was conjecture that it might be Bill Finnegan(?)but no names were actually mentioned properly. Intriguing thought though.
    "Said third party was said to know a LOT about building overdrive pedals"

Not Bill then ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372
    I watched one of the demos and it seemed to work well as a general warmer upper, but quite a few things do that, and its own distortion seemed quite harsh when fully up  ( not in a good Neil Young way).
    I have seen a Klon clone demoed before and that seemed more impressive to me, but then a lot of reasons why youtube isn't the best way to hear something.
    I didn't hate it, just wasn't sure it is quite the Holy Grail for £49 either.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27692
    I watched one of the demos and it seemed to work well as a general warmer upper, but quite a few things do that, and its own distortion seemed quite harsh when fully up  ( not in a good Neil Young way).
    I have seen a Klon clone demoed before and that seemed more impressive to me, but then a lot of reasons why youtube isn't the best way to hear something.
    A lot of demos tend to leave the treble knob too high when they crank the gain. That extra top end is nice when it's clean but can get spitty and harsh when it's dirty. 

I'm not going to say it's the holy grail do-all pedal that some claim (I'm not convinced there is such a thing) but it's certainly got lots of applications.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372
    A lot of demos tend to leave the treble knob too high when they crank the gain. That extra top end is nice when it's clean but can get spitty and harsh when it's dirty. 

I'm not going to say it's the holy grail do-all pedal that some claim (I'm not convinced there is such a thing) but it's certainly got lots of applications.
    I think a lot of people find TS style overdrives a bit nasal - that's mid range focus when you are Carlos Santana playing the O2 through a wall of Mesa Boogies but sounds like a paper and comb when you are the guitarist from Mid Life Crisis playing down the pub through a 1x12 Laney. For the MLC's of this world (or me) a more open OD like the Soul Food is probably a better bet.I just got the impression it works better as a mild OD than as an amp in a small box type pedal.   
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    Essentially just because it's a really nice overdrive.
    Yep. It's ages since I tried one, and I was only able to try one once, in not exactly ideal circumstances (non-master volume high wattage marshall which i could only play at shop volumes), but it seemed like a very nice pedal. The kind of hype there is surrounding it is a bit daft, if you ask me, but to be fair it's a nice pedal which genuinely was original.
    juansolo said:
    I saw a rather cryptic message over on TGP from a well known boutique overdrive builder that EHX have been working closely with a third party on these overdrives. Said third party was said to know a LOT about building good overdrive pedals.

There was conjecture that it might be Bill Finnegan(?)but no names were actually mentioned properly. Intriguing thought though.
    "Said third party was said to know a LOT about building overdrive pedals"

Not Bill then ;)
    LOL
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    edited January 2014
    The EHX seems to have a softer attack (against the original Klon) It seems pretty much the same as the KTR though
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Ok, the GAS has got me, it's almost inevitable that I'll get one. 

So @MarkGAK what's the lowdown on the availability of these?
  • MarkGAKMarkGAK Frets: 118
    @not_the_dj They're on the boat as we speak! Should be arriving in the next week or so. I'd HIGHLY recommend getting a deposit down on one before they arrive as they've started selling very quickly already.
    @MarkGAK thanks, you'll have one less available now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • damodaidamodai Frets: 38
    me too damn gas this early in the year

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh look, a despatch confirmation e-mail :-)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • damodaidamodai Frets: 38
    Mine is "en route" , looks like the race is on :)

Package recieved :-)

Although as my amp died on Saturday night and I won't get it to a tech till later this week I'm not really going to get a good go with it and my regular rig for a while :-(

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7710

On the real Klon the Gain and Tone knobs are VERY interactive - as the gain knob goes up the treble has to come down - it seems to be part of how the circuit works - I recall that from my Silver one (that I wish I ahdn't sold - mostly for the cooler-than-cool enclosure :-)

And re the dual-gang pot, yes I've seen DIY klones that have them so no reason to suspect there aren't commercial ones with it too. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    @markgak I ordered one on Friday about 12pm but haven't heard anything since the order confirmation email. Are they still in stock?
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited January 2014
    Insanely jealous of anyone who's got a Soul Food right now  :(

made myself a resolution this year to cut back on my GAS and have lasted about a week!

• MistyMisty Frets: 135
    The discussion on TGP has reached 70 pages....

Whoever started the rumour that this is a Klone has done very well:-)

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited January 2014
    Misty said:
    The discussion on TGP has reached 70 pages....

Whoever started the rumour that this is a Klone has done very well:-)
    That would be EHX on their site. http://www.ehx.com/products/soul-food

I expect it'll be klonish rather than a klone. I doubt EHX could be arsed with germ diodes for a start, plus there's a few ways it could be changed (for the better) to differentiate it a little.