Wristwatches.

What's Hot

Comments

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    John_P said:
    lloyd said:
    joneve said:
    lloyd said:
    I'm in the market for an automatic watch, I've recently re-started wearing a watch (cheap quartz) which is essentially just a bracelet with a clock on it.

I love the engineering of the proper ones.
    What's your budget?
    Probably a few hundred, £250-300 maybe. Can I get anything decent for that?

Something simple, white faced and not too bulky (I'm assuming you pay more for slimmer ones?)

The sort of budget would let you get a hamilton from creation - 
    http://www.creationwatches.com/products/hamilton-watches-250/hamilton-american-classic-valiant-automatic-h39515753-mens-watch-8514.html ;
    or
    http://www.creationwatches.com/products/hamilton-watches-250/hamilton-khaki-king-automatic-h64455523-mens-watch-2323.html

you could easily get something from seiko or orient for a bit less that fits that description as well but I like the look of the hamiltons (I wear a jazz viewmatic for work everyday and it's great)
    Nice, like the first one especially, thanks.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27698
    My mind always goes Hamilon as I'm a bit of a fanboy. You could definitely get one of the smaller Khakis or Jazzmasters for that price range. Really nice everyday watches. 

(I see @John_P beat me to it)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2487
    edited August 2016
    I was just about to post exactly what @John_P did. Hamilton sounds like what you are describing.
    I've used Creation a couple of times before and they were fine.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3695
    I've been a big watch fancier for donkeys years, mainly favouring vintage models although I have some modern Rolexes and Omegas.

In the past  watches had a lot more proper in-house movements and not just the ubiquitous ETA 2824's or Chinese clones that seem to be in most mid price stuff nowadays. The designs were so much better also than many of the "dinner plates" on offer now.

I've always hunted around boot sales and antique fairs for sleepers. My best deal was swapping an old watch that stood me in £140 in a straight swap for a Les Paul Standard.

Probably have a couple of hundred watches in the collection at the moment and have contributed to a couple of watch books over the years.

I did try a FT on a '70's Omega Seamaster for a Fender Tele but had no interest. :/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited August 2016
    80's? Rolex?

What model is this trinket of social injustice. (sorry, I'm northern).

Yes I'm Northern too - born in Gorton, Manchester. The fact I could buy a watch 'above my class' was strangely important to me - I don't really know why - but for me it represented the opposite of what you're suggesting.

If it makes you feel any better, I bought it  on interest-free credit - so I couldn't 'really' afford it.

If you are actually interested in the model, it's a stainless steel Oyster Perpetual Datejust, with a white gold bezel, stainless steel Oyster bracelet and a black dial.
    lloyd said:
    lloyd said:
    joneve said:
    lloyd said:
    I'm in the market for an automatic watch, I've recently re-started wearing a watch (cheap quartz) which is essentially just a bracelet with a clock on it.

What's your budget?

Something simple, white faced and not too bulky (I'm assuming you pay more for slimmer ones?)

God yes. That's plenty to get something nice. My Seiko was a hair over 100 iirc.

How big a watch do you want? How dressy? Simple and formal or lots of dials? Metal, leather or nylon strap?
    Smart casual basically, as small as possible, leather strap and white face-no gubbins, time and date, perhaps a wire garrote like what James Bond has got to stealthily kill my enemies.

I want something for every day rather than a metal bracelet that's a huge cock extension, like some of the Omega's....
    The reason for metal bracelets on sports models is so that you can wear them in water unlike leather.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Neil said:
    lloyd said:
    lloyd said:
    joneve said:
    lloyd said:

What's your budget?

God yes. That's plenty to get something nice. My Seiko was a hair over 100 iirc.

How big a watch do you want? How dressy? Simple and formal or lots of dials? Metal, leather or nylon strap?
    Smart casual basically, as small as possible, leather strap and white face-no gubbins, time and date, perhaps a wire garrote like what James Bond has got to stealthily kill my enemies.

I want something for every day rather than a metal bracelet that's a huge cock extension, like some of the Omega's....
    The reason for metal bracelets on sports models is so that you can wear them in water unlike leather.
    I'm sure there are many reasons, it's just an aethsetic I don't like. I'm not having a go at Omega's or metal straps.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

lloyd said:
    lloyd said:
    lloyd said:
    joneve said:
    lloyd said:

What's your budget?

Also, more than happy to have something second hand, old fashioned.

What are the makes to avoid and consider (quality wise, I'm not a snob).
    A good quality vintage watch sounds like what you are looking for.

White or silver dial, leather strap.

Something like this Girard Perregaux Gyromatic?

photo 851550606bb67ccd4207bf94cd67af0d153523a98bebf34575bbd42a9594d0522ccbdc54-1jpg

Not for sale I hasten to add!

From the days when you would get a fine wristwatch with a signed dial for 40 years service.

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1633
    edited August 2016
    80's? Rolex?

What model is this trinket of social injustice. (sorry, I'm northern).

Yes I'm Northern too - born in Gorton, Manchester. The fact I could buy a watch 'above my class' was strangely important to me - I don't really know why - but for me it represented the opposite of what you're suggesting.

If it makes you feel any better, I bought it  on interest-free credit - so I couldn't 'really' afford it.

If you are actually interested in the model, it's a stainless steel Oyster Perpetual Datejust, with a white gold bezel, stainless steel Oyster bracelet and a black dial.
    Just kidding Buddy, I'm from Crumpsall originally. Used to work in Gorton, they were talking about closing the tub last time I was there. Couldn't understand why? Not exactly rammed with amenities without that!

Rolex sounds lovely, especially with the black dial.

@lloyd have a look at the Orient Bambino. It's a dress watch and comes in different coloured faces etc. Incredible value, apparently.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27698
    I love Rolexes as a conceptbut in the Middle East every other bugger has one so they've lost their cache a little. I like the idea of something with a little more scarcity.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I love Rolexes as a conceptbut in the Middle East every other bugger has one so they've lost their cache a little. I like the idea of something with a little more scarcity.
    The thing with a Rolex is that it is a completely in-house watch, they don't buy in cheap movements like Breitling for instance which cost the same money.

Also Rolexes are rather like Porsches, they don't change the designs too much and consequently keep more of their value.

If you want scarce buy a Patek Phillipe, makes Rolex prices look cheap.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    Neil said:
    If you want scarce buy a Patek Phillipe, makes Rolex prices look cheap. 
    If I won the Lottery, the round, wafer thin gold dress watch on a black leather strap which Patek Phillipe do, would be mine.

Beautiful thing - and the height of understatement.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    viz said:
    I'm so happy with this one from China - it's an automatic, keeps really good time, and only has a few minor spelling mistakes. 

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab217/Vizzage/Mobile Uploads/image_zpsipe3nqdy.jpeg
    Very nice indeed! Where can I get one like that?
    axisus said:
    viz said:
    I'm so happy with this one from China - it's an automatic, keeps really good time, and only has a few minor spelling mistakes. 

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab217/Vizzage/Mobile Uploads/image_zpsipe3nqdy.jpeg
    Very nice indeed! Where can I get one like that?
    He's just said China!
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    edbolivar said:

For years I have thought I might do a horology course when I retire (a while yet) as I quite fancy the idea of making a watch/clock.

I've flirted with the idea of making a clock, to the extent of getting a project book to make a particular design (I think it's an 8-day one with weights rather than a mainspring), and searching online for bits of brass and special cutters for the milling machine. It's rather involved, and the special tools can be pricey (and they're on top of slightly less common tooling for the mill itself, such as rotary table and dividing head).

Very difficult to make bits as small as watch parts accurately without very good machine tools or hand technique. Clock sized bits are much bigger and can stand a bit more inaccuracy in terms of less precision due to machinery/hand being less than superlative. I wouldn't even consider trying to make a watch - the bits are just too small and too easy to screw up. A clock is much more feasible, and may well be a good way to start even if watches is where you want to go.

I have absolutely no need for a clock. It's really just about the engineering and machining challenge. If I ever do make one, it'll be set to local noon rather than GMT, just for the hell of it.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

edited August 2016
    I was joking about the China thing, incidentally.

@Nomad What is local noon? 
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

Local noon is when the sun is at its zenith (or due south - same thing), when observed from a particular (local) longitude. At noon GMT, the sun is at its zenith on the Greenwich meridian. I'm west of Greenwich, so it still has to climb a bit higher before it reaches its zenith at my meridian/longitude. To put it another way, it reaches its zenith at my longitude about 14 minutes after noon GMT. So, since I don't need a clock, I'd set it to show noon when the sun reaches its zenith at my particular longitude.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• BudgieBudgie Frets: 2112
    edited August 2016
    lloyd said:
    joneve said:
    lloyd said:

What's your budget?

Check out Steinhart and Christopher Ward watches. Both are difficult to beat for the money. You should easily find one in that price range on eBay.
  • I've decided (over a very short period of time) that I am a watch enthusiast.

It's good because it helps stave off GAS.

Turns out there's all this micro companies dishing out nice gear at pretty reasonable prices. 

Any watch fans on here?
    Yes big watch fan here. There does seem to be quite a cross over in guitar and watch enthusiasts. Ive got a lovely Rolex Bi-metal blue face submariner and nice Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean for when I don't want to wear a flashy watch.
    I work for http://www.reverb.com/uk Any questions, queries, complaints, Drop me a line.

Remember to check out our Bank Holiday Sale 15% off New, Used and Vintage
    https://reverb.com/uk/sales/bank-holiday-sale

edited August 2016
    Nomad said:

Local noon is when the sun is at its zenith (or due south - same thing), when observed from a particular (local) longitude. At noon GMT, the sun is at its zenith on the Greenwich meridian. I'm west of Greenwich, so it still has to climb a bit higher before it reaches its zenith at my meridian/longitude. To put it another way, it reaches its zenith at my longitude about 14 minutes after noon GMT. So, since I don't need a clock, I'd set it to show noon when the sun reaches its zenith at my particular longitude.
    Cool!

I used to live on the old green meridian in France. 

@Budgie I've been looking at Steinhart's divers, they look a bargain.

@iain.reverb we like nice things.