Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Singers who aged well vocally

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22848

David Coverdale.

Just kidding.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    Bidley said:
    crunchman said:
    Bidley said:
    I don't really get the Bruce love recently... He gets more nasal with each passing year.

Paul Rodgers has aged really well in pretty much every way. He's more than twice my age and in better shape than me.
    He's had quite a lot of "work" done.

To be fair he's also lost weight and looked after himself well in recent years.  Go on Youtube and find footage of him from Guitar Legends Seville 92.  He didn't look quite so good then - although he did look a lot more natural.
    To be fair I half-heartedly googled "Paul Rodgers surgery" when I posted the above. Nothing came up but it definitely makes sense.

He still sounds great considering he's about 300 years old though.
    He's definitely had "something" done to his hair, he was very thin on top decades ago.  Other than that, though, he looks like he works out and generally takes care of himself, so credit to the old boy.
    I wonder if it's just that having his hair short makes it not look so bad. It looks pretty thin in places in the pic above. Can't believe this thread is devolving in to a discussion of whethee a sextagenarian rock singer has had plastic surgery. Gransnet.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2016

I wonder if it's just that having his hair short makes it not look so bad. It looks pretty thin in places in the pic above. Can't believe this thread is devolving in to a discussion of whethee a sextagenarian rock singer has had plastic surgery. Gransnet.

I'll try not to keep the Gransnet debate going for too long....  the pic above looks like it might well be his own hair, perhaps after a transplant(?). 

But if you hit Google images he was most definitely sporting the Advanced Hair Studio look a few years back, in the vein of Graham Gooch, Michael Vaughan, Martin Crowe etc (why so many cricketers?).  Which I think is some kind of wig/weave bonded on to what's left of your own hair.

• fobfob Frets: 1430
    Billy Bragg - although I think his voice (never great on its own merits) suits the ageing process.

Tori Amos sounds exactly the same to me now as when she first started
  • fob said:
    Billy Bragg - although I think his voice (never great on its own merits) suits the ageing process.

Tori Amos sounds exactly the same to me now as when she first started
    I would say Bragg's overall sound has improved over the years. 

I saw Paul Young supporting Rick Astley recently (...long story...) and his (Paul Young's) voice is absolutely shot to pieces, I'm afraid.  Not so Mr Astley, although to be fair he has had 20-odd years' rest.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    edited September 2016
    Philly_Q said:
    I saw Paul Young supporting Rick Astley recently (...long story...) and his (Paul Young's) voice is absolutely shot to pieces, I'm afraid.  Not so Mr Astley, although to be fair he has had 20-odd years' rest.
    I seem to remember that Paul Young's producer liked the 'crack' in his voice when he was made to sing slightly higher than he was comfortable with - so the keys on 'No Parlez' were deliberately pitched too high for him.

Subsequent heavy touring apparently really did knacker his voice - which is such a shame. He was s great pop/soul singer at his peak.
  • Paul had some medical problem years ago (nodes?)  and had to stop singing. He's done his tex mex band thing but I'm fairly sure he doesn't do all the singing. I'm suprised he was doing a solo gig. 
    Philly_Q said:

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Lol I miss read and thought Rick Astley was touring with Neil Young.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30922

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Paul had some medical problem years ago (nodes?)  and had to stop singing. He's done his tex mex band thing but I'm fairly sure he doesn't do all the singing. I'm suprised he was doing a solo gig. 

There were some backing singers and one or two band members helping out with the vocals, if I remember right.  He also had Jamie Moses on guitar, who I believe is a fairly well known session player.

I last saw him 30-odd years ago with the Q-Tips, that was a totally different kettle of fish.

I was the only person calling out for him to sing "Toast".

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Bidley said:

To be fair I half-heartedly googled "Paul Rodgers surgery" when I posted the above. Nothing came up but it definitely makes sense.

He still sounds great considering he's about 300 years old though.
    I think less formal/airbrushed photos of him look like a fairly convincing 66

He does look like a bloke who looks after himself though.
    Definitely had his teeth done. 

He still makes it look effortless even though, for me, he's lost a lot of the grit that he had in the early days of Free. But then, he'd sort of tamed it a fair bit by the time Bad Co started.....and Free were just a freak of nature really.

Meant to be rather 'testing' to work with, not that I've met him personally.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72350
    Philly_Q said:
    That's sad to hear. He made a really good album in the late 90s (just called 'Paul Young') where he sounded fine - older in a good way. Obviously it hasn't held up since.

Rick Astley is odd - he has a single out just now but I didn't recognise his voice on it at all, despite it being originally quite distinctive. It's a terrible song, too - at least some things don't change!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    regarding Bruce Dickinson, have a listen back to Live After Death and compare it with the live album that accompanies the Flight 666 film. For my money, the latter shows his voice to be in superior form.
    I think my angle is that now, he's just a worse version of what he was in the Powerslave era. Which is probably unfair, given that, all things considered, he's doing pretty well these days.

Paul Carrack still sounds great these days, from what I can gather.
    edited September 2016
    ICBM said:

Rick Astley is odd - he has a single out just now but I didn't recognise his voice on it at all, despite it being originally quite distinctive. It's a terrible song, too - at least some things don't change!
    I have to say, he was (unexpectedly, as far as I was concerned) very good indeed live.  Good band, good voice, good sense of humour and he was totally in charge of things on stage.  Not at all like a "tea boy" who got manufactured into a pop star.

I haven't heard his new album - and don't really plan to! - but apparently he wrote the whole thing himself, produced it and played all the instruments.  I can't help but be impressed.

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Colin Blunstone. Still sounding really good after how many decades?
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11297
    Jimbro66 said:
    Colin Blunstone. Still sounding really good after how many decades?
    LAst time I saw him with The Zombies he didn't go for the high note at the end of Say You Don't Mind, he just laughed and said "come on, at my age?". His voice is still liquid brilliance.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Danny1969 said:
    Dave Meniketti from Y & T is still insanely good live, the power, the range and he must be 65!!
    Great call - Dave is 62 and looking forward to seeing him in a month or so
    Sammy Hagar seems to still have it too.

Danny Bowes from Thunder seems to be holding up well

Joey Tempest from Europe is sounding great still

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Good call on Danny Bowes. Not my thing, really, but the ex-wife was a fan and whenever we saw them live his vocals always blew me away. IMO they elevate a fairly average band above what they otherwise would be.

• Up until recently, I'd have said Roger Daltrey but the scream during WGFA in the Galstonbury set was definitely mimed.  And what the fuck is that champagne bollocks all about?

Rob Halford is still pretty good....