Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bands you really tried to like - but failed.

What's Hot

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5165
    Westlife
    Girls Aloud
     :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    edited September 2016
    Bob Dylan. 

Anything post The Jam by Paul Weller. 

The Who. The odd song is amazing. I Can't Explain and Substitute are fantastic. But there is so much shite to wade through. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sonic Youth. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30920
    ICBM said:
    Radiohead
    Placebo
    Incubus
    Skunk Anansie

I've owned at least two albums from each of them and really tried to like them… but couldn't.
    Three of those bands are not worth trying to like.

Mine is Bjork. Many people and musicians I admire love her stuff. I find it grooveless and hookless. 
    And tuneless, beatless and unmelodic.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    Philly_Q said:

Skunk Anansie's a good call, I never actually bought any of their albums but I could never see what all the fuss was about.
    I love three of their singles - Hedonism, Weak As I Am and Brazen (which my band used to cover), but the albums were nothing like them at all.

There's also one Radiohead song I love - Fake Plastic Trees (also a cover we did) and one I like a bit (Street Spirit) but the rest… I really tried, but I just can't stand them even after owning their first four albums (The Bends twice) and listening to one more.

And I like Bjork :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

Skunk Anansie's a good call, I never actually bought any of their albums but I could never see what all the fuss was about.
    I love three of their singles - Hedonism, Weak As I Am and Brazen (which my band used to cover), but the albums were nothing like them at all.

There's also one Radiohead song I love - Fake Plastic Trees (also a cover we did) and one I like a bit (Street Spirit) but the rest… I really tried, but I just can't stand them even after owning their first four albums (The Bends twice) and listening to one more.

And I like Bjork :).
    @ICBM Have you tried In Rainbows? It's easily the most stripped-back and probably their most accessible recent album
    Stop crying, start buying
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10410
    @ICBM if you don't like The Bends then I'm afraid it's terminal, completely incurable .... you have no taste :)

Prince ...... I don't get it ........ amazing guitarist ? where ?  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6390
    edited September 2016
    Danny1969 said:
    @ICBM if you don't like The Bends then I'm afraid it's terminal, completely incurable .... you have no taste
    That album is the exception though. I love it, but the rest despite best efforts, meh ....
    Danny1969 said:
    Prince ...... I don't get it ........ amazing guitarist ? where ?  
    IMHO he wasn't especially awesome on that front (could rattle of a pentatonic solo with great panache though), just - the prolific songwriting, dancing, multi-instrumentalism, ridiculous work ethic, mentoring of other acts and the badass groove to be admired !
    CHRISB50 said:

The Who. The odd song is amazing. I Can't Explain and Substitute are fantastic. But their is so much shite to wade through.
    Somebody had to call it, and I agree. Probably something to do with being force fed Tommy at school by trendy art/music teachers.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22837
    Jalapeno said:
    CHRISB50 said:

The Who. The odd song is amazing. I Can't Explain and Substitute are fantastic. But their is so much shite to wade through.
    Somebody had to call it, and I agree. Probably something to do with being force fed Tommy at school by trendy art/music teachers.

It's a fair point.  I've watched (only on film, sadly!) The Who playing live in the late '60s to mid '70s and they were incredible, absolutely awe-inspiring.  But on record... I've only got Tommy and Who's Next (and Live at Leeds), but they always leave me feeling kind of flat.
  • I worry about this all the time.....

I can NOT listen to any of that Guthrie, Vai, Bonamassa virtuoso stuff..... but I am ok with that.

More concerning perhaps is the other stuff I've never been able to get into....

Bob Dylan.

The Smiths.

The Who (though they did have some tidy get ups in their mod phase)

U2

Rush

Muse

Queen (same thing)

Daft Punk

Bruce Springsteen

Van Morrison

And now for some truly shocking stuff that I have never truly loved but is widely revered -

Jeff Buckley

Love

The Bryds!!!!

Not liking Metal and Jazz - I am totally fine with, that's just a sign of intelligence.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    Moss said:

@ICBM Have you tried In Rainbows? It's easily the most stripped-back and probably their most accessible recent album
    No… and I'm not going to. I've tried enough. I really just can't stand Thom Yorke's voice and Jonny Greenwood's guitar playing. I'm not even sure why I like Fake Plastic Trees.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2928

Not liking Metal and Jazz - I am totally fine with, that's just a sign of intelligence.

It's funny, because only someone who is thick as shit would say something like that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • The Beatles
    Eric Clapton / cream
    Iron Maiden
    Nirvana
    Springsteen
    Dylan

Had to teach a lot of stuff from the above artists in my time, so I own a fair few albums, but none of them really do anything for me. I don't really see anything wrong with that though.

Of those I've seen Springsteen, Clapton and Nirvana live. Springsteen was the only decent one. Quite enjoyed the show. Actually I find that even if I don't like the music, if an artist puts a lot into their show, then I can still enjoy it. Springsteen very much in that category. nirvana were awful, but Clapton gets my vote for worst live act I've ever seen. He just looked liked he'd rather be anywhere else. Total boredom.
  • Philly_Q said:
    ICBM said:
    Radiohead
    Placebo
    Incubus
    Skunk Anansie

I've owned at least two albums from each of them and really tried to like them… but couldn't.

I really liked Incubus for their first few albums, but then they got increasingly dull (although perhaps more successful and critically acclaimed).  I bought at least one album too many.

Skunk Anansie were one of those bands I got when I saw them live (at the Brixton acedemy I think). Skin really is a top notch vocalist. Very powerful band. Not heard any new stuff, but some of stoosh and Charlie big potato was quality. Not see keen on some of the more shouty numbers though.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Philly_Q said:
    Jalapeno said:
    CHRISB50 said:

It's a fair point.  I've watched (only on film, sadly!) The Who playing live in the late '60s to mid '70s and they were incredible, absolutely awe-inspiring.  But on record... I've only got Tommy and Who's Next (and Live at Leeds), but they always leave me feeling kind of flat.
    I think with The Who it's the really early stuff that is good. Anything else is hard going. 

I worked in a record shop when I left college and one of the other blokes went through a Who stage, where he listened to them non stop. All of their stuff. 

Songs like Boris the Spider are just shit. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• I shall get pilloried for this but:

David Bowie.

Some individually great songs, for sure, but never managed to get into a full album or into him in general

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    I love Incubus. 

but not the awful nu metal band one.  All the ones before that I know are great though. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    Philly_Q said:

Graveyard.

Their name and image says they should - or could - be a retro 1970s doom band.  They do indeed have a retro sound but to me it's more like late-'60s garage rock.  I buy all their albums but, hand on heart, I don't really like them that much.

Do you like Witchcraft though? After Norrsken split, Magnus had the riffs and the songs, Graveyard had the clothes and the jamming. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    Dire Straits. I like most Dad/Classic Rock, but I just can't get into DS.
  • Post-Syd Barrett Pink Floyd.

I have tried, really, but I just don't get it. I don't get the adulation, I find them really dull.