Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Chandler Guitars To Close - end of era

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14866
in Guitar tFB Trader
Just announced in a trade magazine that Chandler Guitars will be closing - This was the first UK Boutique store in the UK that introduced brands like PRS, Anderson, Schecter and Seymour Duncan  to the UK when no one knew what they were

I recall those old adverts in guitar magazines and always read their ad to see what was new and interesting

I suppose after Doug and Charlie left it was always going to be tough to replace their influence - Add to that the changing face of how business is now conducted coupled with high overheads and I suppose enough is enough - It is fair to say they have not been the influence in the last 10 years or so that they previously were, but still sad to see another quality independent close down
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BensonBenson Frets: 242
    So is CCGX still run by Charlie? Not been there in years. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11547
    Wow!

I dread to think how much I've spent in there over the years - well into 5 figures

I think they were very important in getting Lazy J off the ground as well.  The early amps sold by word of mouth to people in and around Chandlers.  The shop also gave people a chance to try them as well - which is important.

Hope Al and Neil and everyone will be ok..
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14866
    tFB Trader
    Benson said:
    Yes - happens to be brother in law, but whilst they share a similar business name CCGX has always been totally independent from Chandler Guitars in Kew
  • Benson said:
    Yes, I was in there about a week ago. A couple of my amps are in CCGX being fixed at the moment.
    It's not a competition.
  • Wham are they closing? I've been watching their site and for the most part, even with 'sale' pricing they're still overpriced...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14866
    tFB Trader
    Oct 31st is the last date they are open I'm led to believe
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    This makes me sad. :-(
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4403
    Shame. It's a good place. 

They have stuff you wouldn't see anywhere else. 

And it it smells like a proper guitar shop. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3357
    Gassage put a thread up about this. Paula was just as important and relevant to the business as Doug and Charlie and has kept it going for some 15 years. Sad news
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    That is really sad. I regularly use the workshop there. Gutted.
  • I also made it known that the workshop guys (andy, andy, brinsley) are keeping workshop going at another close location.  I have saved up some work to deliver when they open as I think its vital this aspect thrives.

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Ah fellas, there's always Amazon....reap what you sow
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • I've never visited - but their Guitarist ads certainly made an impact. They probably 'invented' the 'high end' guitar shop in the U.K. - Sounds Great (in its halcyon days) followed a similar path, as did Machine Head, World Guitars, Toneworld, et al.

I love bricks and mortar shops - this is probably the most significant closure yet. Let's hope there aren't any more....
  • I've been watching their site and for the most part, even with 'sale' pricing they're still overpriced...
    I look at their website from time to time and am surprised how toppy their prices are. So presumably they don't sell much and it must be hard to keep a business going if you're relying mainly on repairs. Their second hand prices also seem well over the top - surprising really when they can look at the web and easily see how overpriced they are compared with everyone else. I guess they thought their brand and cachet was enough to keep customers coming even if they were more expensive, but it seems not.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7362
    Always meant to go in for a visit when over that way but never cropped up...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Lovely shop, great staff. I got my Mesa Boogie there in about 1990 and had Chandler's do a fret job on my Strat. I had noticed the shop's web site had lost the plot and was not really as informative as in earlier times. It is a tough, competitive world out there. It will be a shame to see this one close.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    I also made it known that the workshop guys (andy, andy, brinsley) are keeping workshop going at another close location.  I have saved up some work to deliver when they open as I think its vital this aspect thrives.

Any more detail on this? I've used those guys a lot and would like to continue to do so. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11547
    I think they have gone for keeping the margins up rather than moving lots of stuff.  They are in a very well off part of West London and there are some very rich people who aren't that worried about paying a bit more - just not enough of them.

With the second hand stuff most of it is sale or return.  They put their commission rates up a while back, but with the high commission rates people are asking high prices to compensate.  I think that was a mistake when Charlie's commission rates, and New Kings Road's rates are a lot lower.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    I've never been there, but it's such a shame when a great music shop goes. I was fortunate to have Machinehead on my doorstep for a great many years. Sadly it died on its arse after Jeff left and shut some time later. I've also lost Coda in Luton :( I just never get to the stevenage shop.