Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which guitar shops do you miss?

What's Hot
For me it was Machinehead in Hitchin before Jeff sold it (and the new owner ruined it) and Musical Exchanges in Birmingham which had all the grubby second hand gear in those alcoves. Picked up an Eggle Berlin for £400 on my 17th Birthday there :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• For me it was Machinehead in Hitchin before Jeff sold it (and the new owner ruined it) and Musical Exchanges in Birmingham which had all the grubby second hand gear in those alcoves. Picked up an Eggle Berlin for £400 on my 17th Birthday there :)
    Musical exchanges was a great shop
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, another one for Musical Exchanges, not really seen a shop like that since.

• Band Centre, Portadown. One of those shops used by pros and wannabes. I preferred it to those that only sold student instruments and strings. The owner ran it into the ground as he didn't want to share it with his ex-wife after the divorce. Bastard
  • Musical exchange all day long loved it there ....
  • ParkerParker Frets: 961
    Mansons (Plymouth and the older shop that was kooky and crammed with gear!). Swag Music in Plymouth, ABC in Exeter (which was a Musical Exchanges for a short time too), All the shops that once frequented St Michaels Hill in Bristol.  

• All of the shops on Denmark street. It's just a sad empty shell of a place now...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    DV247 in Barnet
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    edited September 2016
    * Bell Music Surbitton - it was always such a thrill to cycle over to visit it when I was 15

* John King Sounds Kingston - my first Fender came from there and I would love to have had the presence of mind and confidence to have had a good root round, but when you were young in the 70s, music shops saw you as a nuisance and not a potential...

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/8cff61_a5fda722e671643910140499dfa519d6.jpg/v1/fill/w_496,h_337,al_c,q_80,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/8cff61_a5fda722e671643910140499dfa519d6.jpg

oh and yes the previous incarnation of DV247 - who remembers the thrill of the Monday night B stock further price reductions??!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Ah yes, Musical Exchanges....went there quite often despite living 100 miles from it. Bought some late 80's Schecters from there new. Great shop. A1 in Manchester was like that...dusty, but interesting. I hate todays sterile shops...they all look the damn same, even the privately owned ones like Reidys....its like secondhand is a dirty word at these places too. 
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited September 2016
    Yes Musical Exchanges was great. The slightly edgy walk through the concrete, piss-smelling underpasses round the back of Snow Hill was worth if for my much younger self. 

Peter Cooks in Hanwell. Alladin's cave masquerading as two suburban semis. Also their acoustic only offshoot 'Unplugged'. 
  • Guitar Player in Rochdale, Tone World in Manchester
  • Marcus Music in Belfast.  They used to have a good selection of guitars, amps, videos, books etc, but the owner was an ignorant wanker and didn't help the demise of the shop.  They had a guy working there called Gordon, not sure where he works now, but he was a complete gentleman, great player and knew a lot about guitars.  
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    Oxford guitar gallery
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12709
    Wing Music in Sidcup

Allbang and Strummits in London

Andy's Guitar Workshop on Denmark Street circa 1989

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• The Drum and Guitar Centre and the Cambridge Rock shop, both, unsurprisingly, in Cambridge.
     The D&G often had some great stuff in there and always well priced. My '73 Ric 4001 came from there, cost £299!. I also bought a 70s Sigma DM10 for £150 and a silverface Bassman 135 and 4x12 pyramid cab for £399, amongst other things.
     The Cambridge Rock shop eventually became Music Village and then Digital Village, where things went downhill rapidly. Back in the day, I found most of the staff friendly and helpful. Two guys in particular- Steve and Duncan were great to deal with.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Strat54 said:
    ...its like secondhand is a dirty word at these places too. 
    eBay and the Internet killed off second hand gear in shops. Why trade in when it was so easy to sell yourself.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14715
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    Wing Music in Sidcup

Allbang and Strummits in London

Andy's Guitar Workshop on Denmark Street circa 1989

crikey - your going back a bit - I first met Barry from Wing when he handled UK sales of Rickenbacker - Then Jon Gold from Allbang when he handled Hamer in the days of Steve Stevens etc - Jon did very well for himself with a senior role at Fender

As a retailer I'm not going to add any names from the past, but I o think the most over ratted store I ever visited was the London Rock Shop in Kentish Town - massive hype and very little substance - Ed Jones I recall
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    tFB Trader
    For me it was Machinehead in Hitchin before Jeff sold it (and the new owner ruined it) and Musical Exchanges in Birmingham which had all the grubby second hand gear in those alcoves. Picked up an Eggle Berlin for £400 on my 17th Birthday there :)
    Yup, Musical Exchanges was a mecca for a 12 year old just starting out playing, the walls of Gibsons and Fenders and those little tunnels at the back full of old Marshall valve heads JMP's, JCM800's all for £200, they couldn't give them away, 1954 Goldtop £800....if only I knew then what I know now...
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    All shops that fell to online box-shifters. Every town used to have at least a couple of music shops. Now, I have to drive miles to get to a proper shop.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23536
    edited September 2016

I don't miss many shops, because in my youth I was the kind of person music shop assistants would either ignore or look down their noses at contemptuously.

Allbang & Strummit was OK - although I still slightly resent the fact that my guarantee of "free picks for life" became just a pipe dream after no more than a couple of years. 

And I remember Jeff telling me off for complaining about a guitar I bought at Machinehead.

Roka's (later Rockers) was very good for parts and spares, in the pre-internet days.