Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which guitar shops do you miss?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Thetford Music.  Spent many many hours in there playing guitar but mostly just enjoying a good chat with Richard, Glyn and Lee 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited September 2016
    Jalapeno said:
    And Kingfisher in High Wycombe - a Dominos Pizza gaff now - bought my Fender Strat there.
    Ah yes, I remember it. Wasn't a great shop by the time I started playing though, and closed down a year or two after I found it.

Used to be my closest music shop though - only a few miles from me when I lived in Amersham.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23536
    John Ham, Swansea. (Brother of Pete Ham of Badfinger fame)
    I didn't know the Pete Ham connection!  

That was the first music shop I used to visit just to stare in the window - I remember they had a Fender "The Strat" and one of those silver 25th anniversary Strats.  I got my first guitar and amp there.
  • Philly_Q said:
    John Ham, Swansea. (Brother of Pete Ham of Badfinger fame)
    I didn't know the Pete Ham connection!  

That was the first music shop I used to visit just to stare in the window - I remember they had a Fender "The Strat" and one of those silver 25th anniversary Strats.  I got my first guitar and amp there.

Yes... when Pete died, I remember there being a few cabs with Badfinger stencilled on them. Tragic.

John was a really nice guy. He and this team put up with the 14 year old me hanging around for ages every Saturday morning... before buying a Gibson medium plectrum and couple of first E strings and going to catch the bus home... ready to repeat it all next Saturday.

Do a Google search and you'll see info about the SG that Pete was given by George Harrison... it was auctioned a few years ago.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23536

John was a really nice guy. He and this team put up with the 14 year old me hanging around for ages every Saturday morning... before buying a Gibson medium plectrum and couple of first E strings and going to catch the bus home... ready to repeat it all next Saturday.

If that was around 1979/80, I was probably outside looking in the window when you were buying that plectrum.  ;)
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2446
    Strat54 said:
    What about Mark Hopkins Guitar Gallery? ;)  
    you've got a good memory - pushing 20 years or so - I suppose it still exists now as Guitars4You - same principle regarding quality not quantity
    Bought a couple of Cunettto era Relics from you back in the day, you always had interesting guitars for sale. 
    Here's another a went to JC's Guitar Workshop....lots of vintage Fenders in Newcastle...they had a '54 Strat for £4995 when I first went! 

• Another for Musical Exchanges. Sort of a Moroccan bazaar stuffed with guitars as I remember it. Going into Birmingham city centre seemed an adventure, then Snowhill was risking your life and at the end of it rows of ES335s down a musty corridor. Not so much a shopping experience more an Indiana Jones style adventure. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markblack said:
    Kebabkid said:
    Chandlers (Kew) from the 80s & 90s
    Allbang & Strummit (Central London)
    Peter Cooks (West London)
    Gigsounds (Mitcham)

my Dad owned Gigsounds. Nice to know it's missed :)
    I only ever went into Gigsounds once, but the man serving me was super helpful, unfortunately I was skint at the time, so couldn't buy anything other than strings.

I was gutted to see it had closed.