Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which guitar shops do you miss?

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14715
    tFB Trader
    Found an old copy last night of Guitarist Magazine - amazing how many names don't exists anymore

Tempo
    Sound Control
    Axis Music
    Trevor Durrant
    The Flying Pig
    Monkey Business
    Hessy's
    Woodroffes
    Jones and Crossland
    Greenhall's in Devon
    McCormacks - Glasgow
    Kitchens - Leeds
    JSG in Bingley
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12709
    impmann said:
    Wing Music in Sidcup

Allbang and Strummits in London

Andy's Guitar Workshop on Denmark Street circa 1989

crikey - your going back a bit - I first met Barry from Wing when he handled UK sales of Rickenbacker - Then Jon Gold from Allbang when he handled Hamer in the days of Steve Stevens etc - Jon did very well for himself with a senior role at Fender

Yep. :-)

Wing was my local music shop when I was growing up - and Barry was a great guy. I'd love to know what happened to all the Electro Harmonix stuff he had - apparently he had the concession at one point, and he had *loads* of boxed new old stock 70s EH pedals, plus service parts. One of my big regrets was not attending his funeral a while back - apparently it was like a who's-who of South London musos from the 1950s to the present...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Parker said:
    Mansons (Plymouth and the older shop that was kooky and crammed with gear!). Swag Music in Plymouth, ABC in Exeter (which was a Musical Exchanges for a short time too), All the shops that once frequented St Michaels Hill in Bristol.  

Don't forget Wants!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11512
    edited September 2016
    Stevepage said:
    erky32 said:
    did all that Denmark st disappear , it was decades ago since I visited that paradise, always thought I'd go back one day, but it sounds like it's vanished?? I live in SW France for last 13+yrs so a tad out of touch ....what happened?

There's some shops left but most of them have gone bust. It's certainly not the guitarist mecca it used to be.

Because of the Denmark Street reputation a lot of people still go there but the prices are generally pretty high.  At one point it was basically a Cartel.  I think 4 or 5 of the shops were owned by the same people.  Punters "shop around" and think that they are getting a good deal but they aren't.  They don't have the best selection of stuff either.

I would have to agree with those who mentioned Andy's.  I bought my first decent electric in there.

I'm going to miss Chandler's from next month.  It isn't what it was, but to have a shop of that quality, with a decent repair department 2 miles from home is great.

As also mentioned above the 3 shops in Hanwell:  Peter Cook's, Flying Pig, and Unplugged.

The original DV247 as well.  The Acton one was 5 minutes walk from my work.  The shop is still empty.

High rents and business rates are a major problem for retailers and other businesses.  I know the government is trying to reduce corporation tax to keep big multinationals here, but I think they would be better off reducing business rates and putting corporation tax up a bit and tax companies more on the profit they make.  It would help re-balance the economy, stop the dominance of internet retailers like Amazon, and also make our exports more competitive by removing an expense for businesses.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Machinehead in Hitchin was just down the road from me a few years back. Lovely little place. Eventually they just couldn't compete (some of their prices were a bit high).
  • It'Dopesick said:
    Machinehead in Hitchin was just down the road from me a few years back. Lovely little place. Eventually they just couldn't compete (some of their prices were a bit high).
    You're right.  The prices were high because they couldn't buy some of the stock as cheaply as some other retailers were prepared / able to sell it at.  Plus people aren't using High Street shops like they used to do (when there wasn't any alternative!)
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384
    Jimbro66 said:

Kingfisher Music in Fleet, Hants. A great shop in its time with a serious selection of quality guitars and amps, plus PAs and recording gear. You might remember their long ads at the back of Guitarist mag.

And very soon I'll unfortunately be adding Chandlers in Kew as a sadly missed store :(

You're right there, @Jimbro66 - Kingfisher was great.  My favourite beloved Japan reissue Strat came from there in 1990, and it's still the first thing I'd rescue if the house was burning down.  Me dad's Martin D-35 came from there in '86 or thereabouts, every time I pick that thing up and play it sounds better.  It was a proper place, friendly, interesting stock, it smelled like a guitar shop and bits of the carpet were held down with gaffa tape. 

I gather it's still there although the stock doesn't seem so interesting.  Actually, scrub that - just been on the website and it's shutting tomorrow.  Sad times.  The whole reason we went there in the first place was because the Denmark St. shops were so intolerable - I'll never understand the Tin Pan Alley love as long as I live.
  • For anyone who remembers Denmark Street as was, I can't resist posting this vid again from the late 80s of Mr Yngwie "where the *&^ is a guitar pick?" Malmsteen shopping in Andy's.

• Dopesick said:
    Sadly that wasn't their main issue in my view, the stock became far too narrow (and pointy!) and the service was dire from the 'rock d00dz' that worked there.  Used to spend over an hour browsing, by the end I was done in 5-10 mins :(
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    randella said:
    Jimbro66 said:

Kingfisher Music in Fleet, Hants. A great shop in its time with a serious selection of quality guitars and amps, plus PAs and recording gear. You might remember their long ads at the back of Guitarist mag.

And very soon I'll unfortunately be adding Chandlers in Kew as a sadly missed store :(

You're right there, @Jimbro66 - Kingfisher was great.  My favourite beloved Japan reissue Strat came from there in 1990, and it's still the first thing I'd rescue if the house was burning down.  Me dad's Martin D-35 came from there in '86 or thereabouts, every time I pick that thing up and play it sounds better.  It was a proper place, friendly, interesting stock, it smelled like a guitar shop and bits of the carpet were held down with gaffa tape. 

I gather it's still there although the stock doesn't seem so interesting.  Actually, scrub that - just been on the website and it's shutting tomorrow.  Sad times.  The whole reason we went there in the first place was because the Denmark St. shops were so intolerable - I'll never understand the Tin Pan Alley love as long as I live.
    That's a strange coincidence! Another once-great shop gone, but they'd been in decline for quite some years now. From selling top-range gear in the halcyon days to becoming one of those little shops that sell budget copy guitars and multi-coloured ukeleles to school kids :(
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2446
    What about Mark Hopkins Guitar Gallery? ;)  
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    edited September 2016
    The interesting thing about Kingfisher music is that for any guitarists living in that Surrey/Hants region in the eighties Kingfisher was by far the major store and the place to go whereas Andertons was just a small backstreet shop. How things have changed, with Kingfisher apparently just about to close after years of decline and Andertons now one of the largest stores in the south-east and with a huge on-line presence. It's quite a case-study.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14715
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    What about Mark Hopkins Guitar Gallery? ;)  
    you've got a good memory - pushing 20 years or so - I suppose it still exists now as Guitars4You - same principle regarding quality not quantity
  • Musical Exchanges in Brum. Not because I especially liked it, but I used to frequent it approx 25 years ago, and I miss those prices :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3602
    Way back in the mists of time there was a local shop doing second hand gear plus strings/stands etc. East End Bargains, Ivan was a legend (still is, although retired). Not only a great selection of gear to suit all pockets, if you wanted to try a PA it would be brought to your rehearsal and set up for you. Trying gear in the shop was relaxed and for many years there were ash trays scattered about too. A deal was always on the cards if you asked. I spent plenty of my saturday mornings there hanging out.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11512
    Jimbro66 said:
    The interesting thing about Kingfisher music is that for any guitarists living in that Surrey/Hants region in the eighties Kingfisher was by far the major store and the place to go whereas Andertons was just a small backstreet shop. How things have changed, with Kingfisher apparently just about to close after years of decline and Andertons now one of the largest stores in the south-east and with a huge on-line presence. It's quite a case-study.
    Andertons jumped on the internet bandwagon.  Kingfisher, Peter Cooks, and Chandlers didn't.
  • Kebabkid said:
    Chandlers (Kew) from the 80s & 90s
    Allbang & Strummit (Central London)
    Peter Cooks (West London)
    Gigsounds (Mitcham)

my Dad owned Gigsounds. Nice to know it's missed :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Music Mart and Socodi Music in Canterbury (guess where I grew up...)

The Brixton Exchange Mart - I bunked off school one afternoon to go and try out a Marshall 100w head they had in, when I got there it was sold.....there's a lesson there somewhere.
  • Tuscan777 said:
    Music Mart and Socodi Music in Canterbury (guess where I grew up...)

The Brixton Exchange Mart - I bunked off school one afternoon to go and try out a Marshall 100w head they had in, when I got there it was sold.....there's a lesson there somewhere.
    Yes. You should have had the whole day off and got there first thing. 
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Found an old copy last night of Guitarist Magazine - amazing how many names don't exists anymore

Kitchens - Leeds

Not surprised they struggled if they called their guitar shop Kitchens. That's just confusing. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom