Should I buy a SG?

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27851
    And I highly recommend a Hiscox if the new ones only come with gigbags. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1090
    Thanks for pouring fuel on the GAS fire guys.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Would love an SG but terrified of neck breakage! Am I being a pussy?
    If they broke even half as often as the internet suggests you'd NEVER see any vintage SGs for sale. Obey rule number 1 and you'll be fine. 
    I'm more careful with my SGs than I am with my telecaster, but then you have to be more careful with a hammer than you do with a telecaster.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    No problem.

http://i.imgur.com/bodxwsB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1JrHDoy.jpg
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HoofHoof Frets: 498
    i played Les Pauls for years and made do with the weight, fret access and sheer girth  - then played an SG in a band and holy shit... for me the SG is so much more ergonomic to play standing up, everything is where it should be and they bark like a wild animal, but in a really good way :)
    That saved me some typing! 

I've got a 2016 standard traditional spec and my other guitars haven't really featured since I got it. Regarding the neck heaviness issue: I had a Epiphone Korina SG which suffered quite badly from neck dive (leather straps help with this btw) but my current one is beautifully balanced. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Would love an SG but terrified of neck breakage! Am I being a pussy?
    Erm.. yes. Sorry!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

Alnico said:
    I will certainly treat mine slightly more gently because i know they may be prone to it if they're abused but if it's looked after then no, it won't just break.

I have a rule, the guitar is only ever in 4 places.
    Flat on the bed - best place to restring it.
    Around my shoulders or on my knee
    On the stand
    In it's case

If it never gets bashed and never falls over there's no reason for it to break.

I will say that £900 for a Std. and you only get a gig bag with it ! That's a bit cheeky since the Gibson case is an extra £150.
    For £165 i can get a proper Ally flightcase so i think in time i will probably go that route.
    One could argue that's 5 places.. 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Phone won't let me do smileys..

Any time, friend!

• FezFez Frets: 547
    Yes and Yes to Cherry.
    I've been hankering after one for years but it also vies with a Firebird for my affection, gotta break out of stratdom sometime soon.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2958
    edited October 2016
    I have an SG with humbuckers as my only good electric guitar now. I was wary about parting with my les paul but I'm learning to love it more now I don't have anything to incessantly a/b it with to pick out minute differences. Still miss the LP some times but I'm very happy with it now. For the tones I go for I think a bridge p90 is too thin sounding for an SG but neck ones are great.

I'd say go for it but play one first. It takes a while to get used to the neck position and how far left everything feels compared to a LP etc.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    I really want a '61 reissue just like this:

http://www.buylespaulstandard.com/images/20120211/doc_images-1106230419519.jpg

The rare Frank Zappa model is killer too.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I've been trying to work out what attracted me to it and i think it's the neck, or rather the way the neck is exposed.

My other guitar is a Jackson Soloist and while the whole guitar is no longer than any other 25.5" scale guitar, the 24 fret neck feels really long when you play it due to the smaller body of the Soloist as opposed to a bigger bodied strat.
    I really like that long neck feeling and the way the SG leaves the neck uncluttered and well away from the body is something i will come to love more and more.

It's a psychological thing i know but it still feels like more freedom to me than say a Tele or a Les paul.

Apart from the tuners and the switch tip there isn't anything i want to change at all on that one above.
    Getting it from Doug also means i'm not in the slightest bit worried about getting a Friday afternoon job from Gibson. There may be cheaper brand new ones out there but the piece of mind that comes with going to see 'Our Doug' and handing over cash with a receipt (Yes i know you get one with mail order too) and having the whole 'New Guitar' experience, while supporting one of the best guitar shops on Earth is to me, worth every penny of whatever extra it may cost. Doug has actually said he will do the best deal he can for me on the day so again, it's all just piece of mind and a full warranty from a shop that's not too far from me so if there is ever a serious fault with the guitar, it's back to Doug and another cup of tea while we look at what's wrong. 
    There was no way i was buying a guitar that's known to be fragile in transit from a shop i don't know and aren't likely to care as much as Coda would.

Amazon Amateurs can royally piss right off !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    I've owned two SG's in my time first was a 2007 standard, that had terrible pickups and neck dive. The second was a artist model (Captain Kirk Douglas) 3 classic 57's and a bigsby and it was a wonderful guitar, sadly had to sell but I would wholeheartedly buy it back if I could find one again. 

Ive just bought a PRS S2 standard 24 satin and to my ears it sounds very much like a nice SG and suffers none of the neck dive or frailties of their design. Both are sold mahogany with thin nitro coats.  
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited October 2016
    +1 for Coda. Unquestionably my favourite shop in the UK.

I bought my Flying V there at the age of fifteen. Really should buy something else from them soon :lol:
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I want an SG badly. Was considering a 2016 faded as the prices drop, but think I will hold on for a standard next year. Has anyone tried any of the 2017 SG's yet? 

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2181
    I chose the SG over a les Paul because to an 18yr old me it made more sense. lighter, better upper fret access, two humbuckers like a les paul, same controls. 
    I genuinely think you can play anything on an SG. I'm not even an Acdc fan. I think of Clapton, zappa, Tony Williams lifetime era holdsworth. I've played nu metal incubusy music (i was young), funk,  reggae, dub,  dnb and jazz on mine. the more I think about it the more I think I should sell the others.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    No, get a Westbury Standard . 
    you're welcome :) 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11148
    tFB Trader
    I adore my SG ... not at all neck heavy, punchy, cutting but easily fat and singing too. They are very much a guitar I feel you have to try before you buy ... some are neck heavy, so make sure you get a good one.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23752
    edited October 2016

You should definitely buy an SG, unless you find a custom shop one with a really fat neck - in which case you should leave it alone and tell me where it is.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom