Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Beginner Guitar & Amp Combo?

What's Hot
BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
Hey folks

I play acoustic but with one eye on my birthday next year I gave a hankering to diversify my style and spend some time getting acquainted with an electric. 

The budget would be £400-500 max for guitar and amp. It's imperative the amp has a headphone jack due to the time of day I get to play and my consideration for neighbours, and others in the house! 

I really do know precisely zero on electric guitar and amps so all suggestions most gratefully welcomed. Don't mind buying used from a reputable dealer. 

Thanks!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    edited October 2016
    Surprised this hasn't been picked up already, but I'll have a first bash! For guitar, I don't know what preference you might have, but you could play it safe with a Stratocaster, to give plenty of variation of tones etc. For the budget, you could buy a new Squier Standard strat, or a secondhand Mexican Standard Strat. Just depends if you want to try secondhand or not.

For the amps, I'd recommend as a first one, a digital modelling one to give a good variety of tones. There's about 5 different makes/models all competing in the "consumer level": Line 6 Spider V, Boss Katana, Fender Mustang, Vox VT series, Mashall CODE series. If you don't need a high power level, then the lower models in the 20-30W range are quite affordable. The Line6 and Boss amps are quite new and since these things are somewhat rapidly developing technology, the newness is definitely worth checking out. Most of the amps also include effects too, so it would save on buying any of these initially until you know what you want etc.

These are just example prices:
    Squier Standard Strat: £278
    Line 6 Spider V 30 Watt:  £170

That leaves a little left in your budget for lead, strap, gig bag, etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    If you're savvy then you can get a great rig with £500.

Used CV Strats and Tele's are common, often selling for around £200-250, maybe less if you're lucky (people often sell them on eBay as a Squier, not knowing they've got a CV) - These are much better than a new Squier Standard, and in my opinion probably better than most Mexican Fender's too, plus the added bonus that the CV line comes in great vintage colours. I picked up a Squier VM for £60 recently from an eBay'er that thought they just had an average Squier.

Amp wise, a used THR10 will be anywhere from £160-180 and are a great option, lots of the new modeller's are much better than what you could get in years gone by, but I'm always pro buying used, so that if and when you sell on in future you don't lose any money. I just picked up a Fender Mustang III v2 for £130 to use as a speaker for my Kemper, but it's pretty good as an amp in its own right too.

Any money you have left over is either a bonus to spend on something else, or you could get a pro setup done on the guitar, for peace of mind, as someone who is alien to electrics. A properly set up CV Squier will be a much nicer guitar to play than a new Squier, which wouldn't be setup as well from the box as a pro could do.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    What do you like to listen to? What would you like to play?
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Thank you guys that's really helpful. 

Ennspek - something that'll make me play just like this will be great  =)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86 said:

Something that'll make me play just like this will be great  =)

Then you'll need the "20 years of practice" model :)

£500 is more than enough to get you a very decent starter setup. By all means listen to the suggestions you get from the forum, but believe me when I say that there's absolutely no substitute for going to a shop and playing a bunch of guitars to find out what you like. 

If it were my money, I'd probably go with something similar to what others have suggested- new or used Squier and an a digital modelling amp- whichever you find easiest to work with and/or best sounding.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    BRISTOL86 said:

Something that'll make me play just like this will be great  =)

Then you'll need the "20 years of practice" model :)
    No, no....this is 2016....I must be absolutely amazing at everything I try within at MOST ten minutes, or it's not worth doing :joy: 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A couple of other things I meant to say....

- much like when I bought my acoustic I want to buy the best I can afford at the time so that in a couple of years I don't feel like I've outgrown it....I'd like something I can age into comfortably so maximising value for money is paramount....hence being more than happy to buy used. 

- and regards the amp, quality of sound at low volume is a really important factor, but I'm guessing that at my price range, it's much of a muchness?
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9831
    Any of the above. Also, Yamaha Pacifica guitar and Roland Cube amp.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4805
    edited October 2016
    As this is your first venture into the electric world I recommend you buy new.  Any problems, you have comeback/support from the store and a manufacturers warranty.  You can get more for your money second-hand but you won't have the experience yet to know what you're buying. 

Amp - I don't recommend a valve amp for your first amp. Tonally it is more restrictive, with no effects built in (you might get reverb), and they (normally) can't be used with headphones.  You need something that gives you lots of tonal options to experiment and have some fun with.  Replacing tubes can also be fiddly and expensive.

You could do a lot worse than the Fender Mustang I v2  or Mustang II v2.  This is a solid-state (no-valves) amp that broadly models the tones from famous amps and effects.   Light, compact, headphone for quieter practice at night, no valves (aka tubes) to worry about replacing, easy to use, good tone, built in effects, 2 yr Fender warranty in the UK, and you can have lots of fun with it, Store prices are typically £105 for Mustang 1 or £148 for Mustang II.  The II has a bigger, better speaker, more volume and should be loud enough for band practices and small club gigs - the smaller Mustang 1 is still pretty loud but is probably more for just home playing.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/2300104900/combo-amps/fender-mustang-i-v2-1x8-modelling-amp-combo
    https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/2300204900/combo-amps/fender-mustang-ii-v2-1x12-modelling-amp-combo

Guitar, I recommend something that gives you both humbucking and single coil tones.  This is your first electric guitar and its too restrictive to opt for an all single-coil or all-humbucking guitar.  Humbuckers give a fatter, darker tone that distorts easier; single coil tones are brighter but are bit thinner (less full) sounding.  This is a learning journey, and it's all about experimentation with tone & feel.  As your electric journey develops, then you can choose something more specific for your needs - but right now you don't know what these are.  

Depending on what your musical tastes are, you may want to think about whether to opt for an electric with a tremolo arm and floating bridge (where you can move the arm to 'wobble' the pitch like Hank Marvin, or a 'hardtail' which can't 'wobble' , A tremolo gives you some extra musical options, but can be less stable tuning wise and  some types can be a bit more awkward to string and set-up the guitar properly.  Unless you really want a tremolo, I'd suggest you stick with hardtail for your first guitar - less to worry about.  

For a first guitar that's easy to play, with easy access to the higher frets, light weight, with decent humbucker and single coil tones, I'd suggest you can do a lot worse than the Epiphone (made by Gibson) SG Pro, £299 from main stockists.  

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/EGG4CHCH1/solid-body-electric-guitars/epiphone-g-400-pro-sg-cherry-chrome-hardware

If you buy both amp & guitar together from the same supplier, you should be able to get a guitar strap, a lead, and/or a set of strings and a pick or two thrown in too or at least discounted.   

If on reflection you don't want to spend quite that amount of money, there are electric guitar starter packs available e.g.for £240 you can get this - the Affinity Squier guitar is made by Fender and has both humbucking and single coil pickups, and a tremolo, and the amp offers a range of tones plus some built in effects, and things like strap, lead etc are all included:

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Squier-by-Fender-Stratocaster-Pack-HSS-15W-Amp-Candy-Apple-Red/L81

The Squier by Fender Stratocaster Affinity Series HSS Pack features a stunning Candy Apple Red Stratocaster, a punchy 15-watt Fender Frontman® amplifier and all the accessories you need to get started straight out of the box! Ideal for beginners, you can now stop dreaming and start playing™ with this incredible Fender started pack including an electronic tuner, instructional DVD, gigbag, guitar cable, guitar strap, plectrums. "

Hope this helps, and good luck.   ;)

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Amp-wise I'd recommend a Tech 21 Trademark combo.
    It gives you the 3 basic amp sounds and is very easy to use.
    I'm not sure a modeller with dozens of options is a good idea, you might spend more time fiddling with the amp than actually playing.
    Guitar-wise: any of the above recommendations.
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Jack_ said:
    If you're savvy then you can get a great rig with £500.

Used CV Strats and Tele's are common, often selling for around £200-250, maybe less if you're lucky (people often sell them on eBay as a Squier, not knowing they've got a CV) - These are much better than a new Squier Standard, and in my opinion probably better than most Mexican Fender's too, plus the added bonus that the CV line comes in great vintage colours. I picked up a Squier VM for £60 recently from an eBay'er that thought they just had an average Squier.
    Maybe best to explain that CV here stands for Classic Vibe and VM is Vintage Modified.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    Thanks all some great pointers here :) 
  • My reaction to these questions is almost reflexively to say "go to the biggest store near you& try EVERYTHING you like the look of" it'll help you work out what you like & what you don't. Thankfully the days of dreadful budget guitars are almost in the past- the quality available for a relatively modest budget is excellent- I've seen pros gigging Squier and Epiphone guitars recently. (The Classic Vibe range is superb if you want a Strat or tele). 

I find amps more difficult to get a feel of in a shop, if you're planning on using headphones take them with you- many amps doing very different out loud vs through their headphone port. 
    I have a Thr 10, it's probably the single most used piece of guitar kit I've ever had: it sounds good, is versatile and looks good (meaning its always out & ready to use- some guitar amps are fugly). 

Pacifica guitars by Yamaha are worth looking into.  They are excellent in terms of build, versatility & value etc, however the necks are quite slim. This can be divisive. The higher the model number the higher in the range it is. I'd try a 112. 

Good luck with your choosing & remember that we NEED pictures when you have something! 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24868
    I'd spend more on a good, playable guitar and compromise on the amp. A used Highway 1 Strat and a Blackstar HT1 combo would get you off to a good start.

If you know someone who already plays,  I'd recommend using their experience to find a decent guitar. Nothing is more off-putting than a guitar which is really hard to play.

The good news is that there're are loads of decent used guitars about at good prices. You can upgrade pick-ups, or move it on without loosing money if you buy wisely and subsequently want to upgrade.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6939
    edited October 2016
    I'd spend more on a good, playable guitar and compromise on the amp. A used Highway 1 Strat and a Blackstar HT1 combo would get you off to a good start.

If you know someone who already plays,  I'd recommend using their experience to find a decent guitar. Nothing is more off-putting than a guitar which is really hard to play.

The good news is that there're are loads of decent used guitars about at good prices. You can upgrade pick-ups, or move it on without loosing money if you buy wisely and subsequently want to upgrade.
    I'd go with this split as well - in fact you can save a couple of quid more for the guitar by going ex-demo on the amp:

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/blackstar_ht-1_r_combo_w_reverb_1w_tube_guitar_amp-_ex_demo.asp
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5035
    Nobody can tell you what to buy my friend.  You have a decent budget so go along to a decent music shop in your town and ask to try a guitar and amp that suit your budget.  Then ask to try alternatives.  If you like a guitar, ask if they will include a setup and new strings.  Most new instruments need a setup and any demo guitar will need new strings too.  Hope you enjoy the experience.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• RolandRoland Frets: 8851
    HAL9000 said:
    Any of the above. Also, Yamaha Pacifica guitar and Roland Cube amp.
    The Pacifica is a particularly good choice. Besides being excellent value for money it also brings a good mix of key features:
    1. Both humbucker and single coil pickups
    2. A neck profile which lies between Gibson and Fender
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Yes, Yamaha make superb beginner guitars imo, and will give you a good range of tones. I still have my Yamaha RGX121d (slightly meaner take of a Pacifica) that I was given for my 16th birthday 20 yrs ago, every now and again it gets played and every time I'm reminded how sweet it sounds, esp the neck PU. 
    A Pacifica into a Yamaha THR amp would be on my short list to demo (if buying new).
  • Yes, Yamaha make superb beginner guitars imo, and will give you a good range of tones. I still have my Yamaha RGX121d (slightly meaner take of a Pacifica) that I was given for my 16th birthday 20 yrs ago, every now and again it gets played and every time I'm reminded how sweet it sounds, esp the neck PU. 
    A Pacifica into a Yamaha THR amp would be on my short list to demo (if buying new).
    Holy cow, I've never seen another one of these in the wild - I can certainly attest to it being a very well put together piece of machinery.

Agreed with everyone here: play whatever you can, wherever you can find it - IMO stay away from the "boxed-wine" quality guitars i.e. starter kits or anything less than £180 or so new, because while you can find gems below that pricepoint, everything above it is typically serviceable.

I went into guitar with the same idea as you (quiet, headphone, etc.) and that's still important to me now, but please don't underestimate the joy of playing through a 1x10 or 1x12, it's a whole new world.