Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Beginner Guitar & Amp Combo?

What's Hot

Comments

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    edited October 2016
    Thanks all for the great advice!

William - i'm sure that is the case, but circumstances for the foreseeable mean playing at high volume is not an option. We've rehomed a rescue cat that is easily spooked so combined with unsociable hours it's a non-starter! So an amp that'll sound good through headphones and at low volumes in a small room is a must, but that's not to say that'll always be the case!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    My advice would be to buy a used guitar off here. Especially from someone with some decent feedback. Then get a Blackstar Fly 3 brand new for £50 (they're even selling them in Argos now). Job done.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14010
    get a Peavey amp and a cheapish Tele copy

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Any kind of Telecaster and a good modelling amp to keep things interesting. @modellista made a great suggestion earlier for your budget.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You could do a lot worse than this setup.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5035
    @Deadman the Blackstar Fly 3 costs €59 from Thomann and €75 from Argos. Thomann seem the best option...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    edited October 2016
    Hi @Rocker I paid £49.99 in Argos two weeks ago (for the union jack model). 

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5422779
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5035
    Deadman said:
    Hi @Rocker I paid £49.99 in Argos two weeks ago (for the union jack model). 

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5422779
    Oh! you mean the Brexit special...........
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2016
    Hey guys

Used Pacifica 112 plus Orange Crush 10W amp for £100 - good deal?

Seems like it would be a good little stop gap until next year and will be able to resell for similar money
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    Don't buy new.  Stick an advert on classifieds for a classic vibe/mexifender or that amazing Gibson should special for 360 delivered. 

Should be be able to get a nice little combo for 140. Laney cub etc. 

Good luck and enjoy
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4805
    blueskunk said:
    Don't buy new.  Stick an advert on classifieds for a classic vibe/mexifender or that amazing Gibson should special for 360 delivered. 

Good luck and enjoy
    I don't agree.  As I said in my earlier post

"As this is your first venture into the electric world I recommend you buy new.  Any problems, you have comeback/support from the store and a manufacturers warranty.  You can get more for your money second-hand but you won't have the experience yet to know what you're buying." 
    Re your amp recommendation, headphone use was a specific requirement by the OP. The Laney Cub is valve (nice amps - I have a Cub 12R) and has no headphone socket.  Hence why I and others recommended a modelling amp.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Or buy used but from a shop which is why I recommended that lovely used Squier CV from GuitarGuitar. 

Agree about the modelling amp, for home use where you're not going to crank it, valves are more hassle than they're worth. Plus the headphone issue. 
  • BRISTOL86 said:
    Hey guys

Seems like it would be a good little stop gap until next year and will be able to resell for similar money
    Not a bad deal as such but that amp's going to be average at best. 

You need to to decide whether your budget is £100 or £500 and stick to it. Too many variables otherwise. 
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Hey guys

Not a bad deal as such but that amp's going to be average at best. 

You need to to decide whether your budget is £100 or £500 and stick to it. Too many variables otherwise. 
    Yeah - to be clear I'm looking at this as a temporary stop gap to 'scratch the itch' until I can expand the budget. I figure worst case I get £75 back for it and it's cost me £25 for 6 months :) 
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

I recently got a Vox VX1 amp for a shade under £100.

Wow is all I can say.

A friend who is far better than I'll ever be could not belive the tones (for the price, it's a modelling amp). He was blown away by the fact he could get a driven sound akin to his Marshall stack at very low volumes.

SNAKEBITE said:

I recently got a Vox VX1 amp for a shade under £100.

Wow is all I can say.

A friend who is far better than I'll ever be could not belive the tones (for the price, it's a modelling amp). He was blown away by the fact he could get a driven sound akin to his Marshall stack at very low volumes.

I've heard very good things about the VX1 but have yet to play one. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11441
    Are any of the guitar mags running subscription offers where you get a free little amp?
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    Voxman said:
    blueskunk said:

Good luck and enjoy

"As this is your first venture into the electric world I recommend you buy new.  Any problems, you have comeback/support from the store and a manufacturers warranty.  You can get more for your money second-hand but you won't have the experience yet to know what you're buying." 
    Re your amp recommendation, headphone use was a specific requirement by the OP. The Laney Cub is valve (nice amps - I have a Cub 12R) and has no headphone socket.  Hence why I and others recommended a modelling amp.  
    Well I disagree :)
    edited November 2016
    blueskunk said:
    Voxman said:
    blueskunk said:

Good luck and enjoy

Well I disagree
    I'm not quite sure what you are disagreeing with? He said that he needs a headphone facility and you are recommending a Laney cub amp with no headphone ffacility!   :s

If you're referring to buying used gear then ok, but will he really know what he's buying? And if the amp conks out, he's on his own unless he buys used from a store in which case he'll have some comeback for a while but may not have any manufacturers guarantee (unless its ex demo). 
  • Classic vibe Tele. Boss Katana 50w.