Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Money For Nothing ??????????????? - MK LP

What's Hot

Comments

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Brothers in arms is his big les Paul moment surely? 

Difficult to argue with that.
    But it would be awkward for Gibson to Re-issue the Brothers in Arms guitar, because.....that guitar is a mid 80's Pre-Historic.
    It is amusing to think that he is now using a 'Burst (live) to recreate the sound of the Pre-Historic used to record that track.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29187
    I would just like to say that in these times of environmental conciousness I am appalled at how many question marks were used in this thread. Flaunting such excessive consumption is awfully gauche.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24868
    Would look lovely in the gallery....
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4805
    Sporky said:
    I would just like to say that in these times of environmental conciousness I am appalled at how many question marks were used in this thread. Flaunting such excessive consumption is awfully gauche.
    ?????Are you? Why?????? Don't you like question marks????? Is it a from childhood thing??????  Why do you think its gauche??????  Do you think its fair to ration question marks???????  

:3  :#

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Voxman said:
    Sassafras said:
    I don't know, to me, one Les Paul looks very much like another.
    Same could easily be said about strats of course, but then as we all know its the tone, weight, resonance. playing dynamics etc that can be so very different. 
    Very true.
    For some reason Les Pauls just leave me cold. I find them very uninspiring.
    And before anyone starts up on me, I know that's profane and sacrilegious. 
    Sassafras said:
    Voxman said:
    Sassafras said:
    I don't know, to me, one Les Paul looks very much like another.
    Same could easily be said about strats of course, but then as we all know its the tone, weight, resonance. playing dynamics etc that can be so very different. 
    Very true.
    For some reason Les Pauls just leave me cold. I find them very uninspiring.
    And before anyone starts up on me, I know that's profane and sacrilegious. 
    Nothing wrong with that. Different guitars appeal to different folk. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    Timing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ESBlonde said:
    Timing.
    Is extremely important when you're strictly rhythm....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Lovely guitar, but fuck that price . 

He is the epitome of a player who gets his own tone and doesn't need 5k guitar to do it . 

I've always wondered what artists get out of this. What will he get out of 75 guitars? 
    edited October 2016
    joeyowen said:

He is the epitome of a player who gets his own tone and doesn't need 5k guitar to do it . 

I've always wondered what artists get out of this. What will he get out of 75 guitars? 
    Didn't Les Paul (or Leicester Polsfuss - if you're insistent on using his 'proper' name) get 5%?

MK is fantastically wealthy (well over £100 million in the last Sunday Times 'Rich List') so I would imagine the attraction is more about one of the world's most famous guitar companies recognising you, than the money.

Even if he got every penny, it would be a tiny fraction of his worth.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6939
    joeyowen said:

An old guitar is all he can afford...

Previously known as stevebrum
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    joeyowen said:

Nice little ego massage, maybe..?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 984
    seems a lot of money for what is essentially an R8 ...and not even a True Historic spec ... :)
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    mart said:
    ... so Money for Nothing is the most famous example of him playing a Les Paul, I'd guess.
    lustycourtier said:
    Brothers in arms is his big les Paul moment surely? 
    Brothers in arms is superb, a fantastic song with great playing. But there's no doubt that MfN is better known.
    skaguitar said:
    not even a True Historic spec ... :)
    It's not so far away....
    edited October 2016
    its a very limited run that you won't find on every street because they had to halt production due to an industrial disease hitting the plant. I realise the cost is so far away for many of us but that goes hand in hand with a guitar of this quality, and its perfect for playing some solid rock - so, why worry?  
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12521
    richardhomer said: 
    Didn't Les Paul (or Leicester Polsfuss - if you're insistent on using his 'proper' name) get 5%?

It's actually Lester. (got autocorrected maybe?) 

Agree on your other point though, it's not about the money for Knopfler, it's about the recognition by an iconic brand. I'd be really chuffed if I got a signature model. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    boogieman said:
    richardhomer said: 

It's actually Lester. (got autocorrected maybe?) 

Agree on your other point though, it's not about the money for Knopfler, it's about the recognition by an iconic brand. I'd be really chuffed if I got a signature model. 
    I took it took it to be an attempt at humour, rather than autocorrect. A successful attempt, at that, imho..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• joeyowen said:

Nice little ego massage, maybe

he's got a daytime job. hes doing alright

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Voxman said:
    its a very limited run that you won't find on every street because they had to halt production due to an industrial disease hitting the plant. I realise the cost is so far away for many of us but that goes hand in hand with a guitar of this quality, and its perfect for playing some solid rock - so, why worry?  
    Cause I've had to replace the pump in my swimming pool
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom