Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

kirk hammet?

What's Hot
siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
I'm not a  metallica fan....but all this Internet hate for kirky? Whats up with him....why is he the object of such scorn and derision? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HoofHoof Frets: 498
    Yeah. Metallica have done quite well for a metal band with a drummer and lead guitarist who are both apparently shite. 

I think perhaps he got lazy for a while and just kept churning out the same old licks with too much wah pedal and it wouldn't do for a famous guitar player to stick to what they know would it?

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    I have to say that it does get on my nerves a bit. I spent 10 years over at the Petrucci forum and they were really nasty about Kirk all the time. I'm pretty indifferent, I don't really listen to Metallica. I think that he is perceived as not being that good a guitarist, playing in Em a lot, overuse of wah in solos, not having written any classic solos in a vast long time etc.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33988
    Because he's a lazy musician.
    I'm a huge Metallica fan but in spite of Kirk and to a degree, Lars.

He isn't very versatile, does the same stuff year after year and it is clear he doesn't practice.
    James has always been the better guitarist- his right hand is a total weapon.

When I saw the Death Magnetic tour Kirk was all over the shop- he wasn't in tune or in time for his solos.
    It was a mess.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Sandman is a great solo. If hetfield's so much better why does he rarely do any solos? He did a nice melodic one in nothing else matters. ....what else?
  • siraxeman said:
    Sandman is a great solo. If hetfield's so much better why does he rarely do any solos? He did a nice melodic one in nothing else matters. ....what else?
    The slow one in Master of Puppets, IIRC

• Kirk might be a lazy guitarist but Lars has to take the award for the worst musician in that band, he is terrible drummer - an absolute douche bag as well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33988
    siraxeman said:
    Because being able to solo doesn't define how great a musician someone is.
    Hetfield writes incredible riffs and his sense of timing is ridiculously good.
    If we want to judge a musician by how well they solo then sure, maybe Kirk is a better soloist, but he isn't a better guitarist (imho).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Haha.....i was waiting for this very response. So kirky doesn't write anything or any of his rhythm parts? Does james spoonfeed him all his rhythm parts? If kirky really was so bad i think your hero hetfield would have twigged by now....
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23699
    I'm not in a position to judge how good or bad a guitarist Kirk may be in any kind of absolute sense.

But it does seem to me that it's acceptable - almosted expected, in fact - to single him out for slagging off when I'm sure there are countless other players, no better or worse, who are left to just get on with their own business.

In that sense he's the Joe Bonamassa of heavy metal.

edited October 2016
    He's going to be a damn site bettererer than 99% of his haters who play puppets and sandman in their bedrooms. I go on boxing forums to and certain fighters get the same kind of bashing. From keyboard warriors that couldnt beat a dusty rug. Sad but troooooooohooooooo! ( do that last bit in a hetfield voice lol )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73087
    I believe that Marc Bolan used to get the same sort of hate forty years ago, for being a terrible guitarist - for seeming to know about two chords, not being able to string together a listenable solo, having about two different rhythms that he always played, all that sort of thing… which depending on how you look at it is mostly true. But he had *something* else - hard to define exactly what, but a unique feel and sense of groove is part of it, as well as a knack for writing catchy songs.

Forty years later, who is remembered - Bolan, or anyone who criticised him?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I've never met Kirk, so I can't comment on him personally...although some of the things I've heard him talk about I happen to like....

Seems to have done alright for himself despite allegedly being a lazy, unpractised, piss poor player.  

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Kirk Hammet is a fantastic guitarist in my opinion, technically not amazing but who cares - they guy has wirttien some incredible riffs and solos
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    edited October 2016
    Kirk Hammet is a fantastic guitarist in my opinion, technically not amazing but who cares - they guy has wirttien some incredible riffs and solos
    Written? He rarely gets writing credit so not sure he's written much.

siraxeman said:
    He's going to be a damn site bettererer than 99% of his haters who play puppets and sandman in their bedrooms. I go on boxing forums to and certain fighters get the same kind of bashing. From keyboard warriors that couldnt beat a dusty rug. Sad but troooooooohooooooo! ( do that last bit in a hetfield voice lol )
    So? I bet you couldn't build a car better than one you don't like, or can't code a better approach/website than one you complain about etc etc.

When did you have to be better than someone to critique them?

Metallica = Hetfield in my eyes
    You don't have to be better to voice an opinion on something or someonebut when put into pperspective often haters often make mugs of themselves especially when they're poor amateurs themselves....! There's voicing an opinion and there's hating....
  • I thought Kirk wrote the original Enter Sandman riff. And that Lars has a big hand in arranging the music.

Hetfield is incredible but he isn't Metallica on his own. Guy is an amazing rhythm guitarist though
  • The solo on unforgiven is pretty decent.

I think he has a harder job than everyone thinks. 
    If you are being brought tunes to solo over and not be involved from the start it can be hard to fresh and different, especially over a massive back catalogue like Metallica have. 

Where is the similar hatred for Dave Gilmour? Yes it's classed as tasteful note selection etc etc but it is all very similar
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    edited October 2016
    Do you mean "why isn't there similar hatred...." cos I've neverheard  of any ...
  • mortmort Frets: 720
    If only Mustaine hadn't kicked Hetfields dog.........
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23699
    edited October 2016
    Written? He rarely gets writing credit so not sure he's written much.
    He's had writing credits on at least 40% of the songs from Ride the Lightning onwards.  Of course I don't know exactly which bits he wrote, but he certainly contributed something.

Although interestingly, the new album looks like it's pretty much all Hetfield/Ulrich.