Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

kirk hammet?

What's Hot

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    Sassafras said:
    And who can forgive him for burning down that orphanage?
    I know I can't.
    Ah, well that's an easy mistake to make, y'see he was asked to 'burn down the house' with his guitar... he just didn't hear the 'with his guitar' bit. ;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    Reverend said:
    All of Metallica were great in their heyday. 

Lars is the key to the band's success. Slag his drumming now (the problem is apparently code name William) but it perfectly fitted the music in the 80s. He is the driving force in all ways, so perhaps it would be good for him to dig out his old 7"s and stop listening to Oasis. 
    Lars used to be fine.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaveRave Frets: 268
    Best not get started on Slash!..

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Rave said:
    Best not get started on Slash!..

Hahaahhahahaha.. That's fucking hilarious!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

Bucket said:
    Reverend said:

Lars is the key to the band's success. Slag his drumming now (the problem is apparently code name William) but it perfectly fitted the music in the 80s. He is the driving force in all ways, so perhaps it would be good for him to dig out his old 7"s and stop listening to Oasis. 
    Lars used to be fine.

That was pretty good. 1989..? Younger, hungrier.. whatever..? Maybe that style of music is a younger guys game, and maybe as you get older, it's hard to keep that up..? 

I've got a mate who's a big Metallica fan. He LOVES the earlier stuff, but he hasn't liked ANYTHING they've done for a LONG TIME! Getting old is a bitch, I guess!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33987
    usedtobe said:
    Bucket said:
    Reverend said:

Lars used to be fine.

That was pretty good. 1989..? Younger, hungrier.. whatever..? Maybe that style of music is a younger guys game, and maybe as you get older, it's hard to keep that up..? 

I've got a mate who's a big Metallica fan. He LOVES the earlier stuff, but he hasn't liked ANYTHING they've done for a LONG TIME! Getting old is a bitch, I guess!
    Most of the guys in Testament are only 4-5 years younger than the guys in Metallica.
    Chuck is the same ages as Lars.
    Gene Hoglan is still a fucking machine at 49- his nickname is 'the atomic clock'.

And Live:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2016
    Obviously there are exceptions. Please forgive me for generalising....

I guess some guys keep the fire, and some guys lose it, along the way....

usedtobe said:
    Obviously there are exceptions. Please forgive me for generalising....

I guess some guys keep the fire, and some guys lose it, along the way....
    This has been my point though- Kirk lost it- MoP period he was totally on it but post black album things started slipping.

I don't really blame him- if I had a squllion dollars and had played all the biggest stages in the world for decades maybe I'd want to kick back and take it a bit easy too.
    I'm sure he has a lot of distractions in his life.

• I'm not really into that style of music but I appreciate that kirk is an amazing guitarist oh and yes he like gretsch guitars too. Lol. 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4699
    usedtobe said:
    Bucket said:
    Reverend said:

Lars used to be fine.

Man that is just ferocious , love it 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Oh Hell, No!
    I'd heard of the existence of such bands but never experienced their "music" before now.
    Never again.
  • Here's the brand new Metallica track released today. Have a listen to Kirk's solo.

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Well that was thoroughly pedestrian
    Same old same old.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    first of all...lets break this down, people are talking shit about Kirk now and for the last 10-15 years...but to me the last 26 years metallica hasn't put out anything worth while to begin with, so you cant just Kirks performance when you are talking in context of mediocre music.

I was a metallica fan when Ride the Lightning first came out, and from Kill 'em all to And Justice for all, Metallica was the best band, by far. Slayer was great...but in that period no one came close to Metallica (in my opinion).

So if you want to talk about Kirk being lazy or a not deserving of his fame for guitar playing, you need to listen to those albums...the solo's he did were memorable and amazing, and because those 4 albums (4 of the most important albums in metal history) Kirk is a guitar god till the day he dies.

As for Lars...again...see above. The drumming he did in Master of Puppets was incredible.

Its easy to say "you're only as good as your last performance or your last album" but fuck, some respect needs to be given to what these guys have done for music over a 10 year period that arguable changed a whole genre beyond just thrash metal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    The first short solo sounds exacty like something I'd play when I'm just randomly widdling out an Em pentatonic lick, and I'm rubbish. I do like the melodic breakdown section though, when he's just playing long sustaining notes.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Here's the brand new Metallica track released today. Have a listen to Kirk's solo.

1:02 - Love the fact they can't spell their own band name 
  • RaveRave Frets: 268
    Here's the brand new Metallica track released today. Have a listen to Kirk's solo.

They really did run out of ideas about 20 years ago didn't they?

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23699
    Errrr.... I quite like it.  Not sure about the vocal melody, but on the whole I thought it was alright.

Those bits where Lars is playing and wearing phones and a white headband... he looks like Karl Pilkington having a panic attack.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1085
    edited November 2016
    I didn't 'make it' either. I'm sure it must be Kirk Hammetts fault. 

he may not be the greatest, but he's not 'mustang sally through a CS guitar, OG Klon & Lazy J to an empty pub' shit,  is he?

(Including myself in this bracket)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom