Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

vintage guitars....do you care for them ?

What's Hot
siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
What is the general consensus? Personally they mean zip to me...but that's me. Relic'ing new ones, not sure I even go along with that...think the worlds gone barking mad paying some bugger to bash a guitar up for ya and rust some of the metalwork. Nice, new freshly made is just fine for me. I don't think I could believe that someone say like a JoBo could pick out a 59 blindfold from say some new guitar that is modelled after one (so it feels the same). Anyway what says you ?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MossMoss Frets: 2409
    I like the feel of a worn-in guitar - whether reliced or vintage

'Mojo' definitely plays a part too
    Stop crying, start buying
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I could pick out a vintage Gibson over a reissue blindfolded, they are worlds apart. They don't look much different but the feel in hand is worlds apart and i''m no expert. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I could pick out a vintage Gibson over a reissue blindfolded, they are worlds apart. They don't look much different but the feel in hand is worlds apart and i''m no expert. 
    Im calling bullshit on that
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    tFB Trader
    I could pick out a vintage Gibson over a reissue blindfolded, they are worlds apart. They don't look much different but the feel in hand is worlds apart and i''m no expert. 
    Im calling bullshit on that
    I'm calling bullshit on this.

@Monstronaut is spot on.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24582
    @siraxeman - If they mean zip to you then why the new thread asking what everyone thinks?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    tFB Trader
    @siraxeman - If they mean zip to you then why the new thread asking what everyone thinks?

I agree, seems to be a bit of vintage guitar bashing starting on the forum recently or is it just me?
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

I'm not bashing them at all....more stating they're not of any significance to me...but I'd like to know how the general consensus is on the matter. Thought that was obvious in the OP ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Good old gear is 99% selection bias. 

Fight me, bro!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    miserneil said:

I agree, seems to be a bit of vintage guitar bashing starting on the forum recently or is it just me?
    It just seemed like a genuinely odd question to ask. Vintage aside (and bashing aside), if I'd have posted "I don't give a zip about xxx brand of guitars. Couldn't care less. Anyway, what does everyone else think?" I suspect most people would have been a little puzzled...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1755
    edited November 2016
    This is always an interesting subject.
    I personally think the prices of vintage guitars have gone stupid and it's a very hard market to understand if your new to buying vintage.
    Vintage guitars are no different to new guitars from the point of view that some are good n some aren't. 
    A lot of people seem to think that vintage guitars are the be all and end all and just because there old they must be great and worth a fortune.
    I do personally like vintage guitars, but I was brought up in a house that was full of them, Lol. But I'm not a believer that they are any better than new ones, they are just different.
     I like the mojo n the thought of the history of them.
    I do honestly think that there's a lot of tosh talked when people say they play better n sound better. 
    Imo they are a luxury but certainly are not the be all and end all. 
    Let's be honest 40 years ago there's wasn't such thing as vintage guitars. 
    A lot of people just get obsessed about value. The first thing that nearly everyone says that seems my collection of guitars is how much is that guitar worth, Not or that's a nice guitar. 
    I don't put any value on any of guitars I'm just not interested.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    This is always an interesting subject.
    I personally think the prices of vintage guitars have gone stupid and it's a very hard market to understand if your new to buying vintage.
    Vintage guitars are no different to new guitars from the point of view that some are good n some aren't. 
    A lot of people seem to think that vintage guitars are the be all and end all and just because there old they must be great and worth a fortune.
    I do personally like vintage guitars, but I was brought up in a house that of full of them, Lol. But I'm not a believer that they are any better than new ones, they are just different.
     I like the mojo n the thought of the history of them.
    I do honestly think that there's a lot of tosh talked when people say they play better n sound better. 
    Imo they are a luxury but certainly are not the be all and end all. 
    Let's be honest 40 years ago there's wasn't such thing as vintage guitars. 

40 years ago these were 'vintage' and people avoided them like the plague.. 

I couldn't cope with anything that needed me to take a footstool around just to play tho..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8164
    Genuinely, I'm not fussed about vintage guitars. 
    However, I'd love a Gretsch from my birth year, 1968.  Maybe a double Annie, or a 6120.  Annie's are my favourite...
    TheMarlin said:
    However, I'd love a Gretsch from my birth year, 1968.  Maybe a double Annie, or a 6120.  Annie's are my favourite...
    Which colour?
  • TheMarlin said:
    Which colour?
    Theres not many colours to choose from. 

TheMarlin said:
    Which colour?
    Theres not many colours to choose from. 

There's at least 3. The Green, Sunburst, and Copper. 

I've been thinking about one for a bit and wondered what colour others were drawn to..

• miserneil said:

I don't think it's bashing just poeple saying thier opinions. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8164
    They did copper in 1968?  That one!!  Or Green....though I already have a green Annie....

I've never liked sunburst Gretsches..... or any other sunburst guitar....now I come to think of it....
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935

^^zackly.....I just was asking what is the consensus...?? And stated my own position. If someone loves old guitars no problem - each to their own, but they're not for me and I'm critical that they are any better. Others might well (natch) have a different view...what is the general thoughts on 'em? Simples really..

• You could have a simular debate about highend guitars  been better. 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    tFB Trader
    A good vintage guitar feel plays and sounds special imo

I've played a retopped 58 that didn't blow me away whereas a 56 I played was bloody lovely and I didn't even plug in,  same as a friends 63 es335, it just had a great neck and set up

I think I could pick out a modern gibson and a vintage one just by the neck 

Vintage ones have a great profile modern ones don't, just my opinion

Of course they're silly money that I'll never have so I make my own like any respecting poor person would

It's a bit like when I was a kid I never got a new bike so had to make one or walk 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)