Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

vintage guitars....do you care for them ?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    miserneil said:
    miserneil said:
    TTBZ said:
    Never played one but they don't appeal to me in the slightest. Extortionate prices and I'd never really feel comfortable playing one, they always look like they're about to fall to bits.

Vintage amps on the other hand
    See, I'm the total opposite of this. It may be totally unfounded but vintage amps fill me with dread, I'd not be comfortable gigging one for fear of it failing on me. That's why I go for the boutique versions of the classics.
    Don't you even have a nice vintage amp at home to enjoy?
    This guy!

Nope, I find my Pignose perfectly adequate....

Yeah, but it's gotta be a vintage Pignose for the mojo, bro.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think the whole Vintage thing is a bit overblown these days both in prices and what is so called Vintage. 

Frankly people giving old CBS strats a fat mark up makes me laugh as they could not give them away when i was a lad. 

I think the whole vintage collector thing is again totally over hyped and collectors  are collectors by nature and get satisfaction from collecting it could just as well be stamps as guitars they  crave the guitar to be something that is Vintage correct down to the last screw who cares it sounds like a dog its a totally original and that all fine that what collectors do. 

As for sound and playability that is a very mixed bag and its only people like Bernie Marsden and occasionally Jo Bo that are big enough to say they there are far more dogs than good ones. And there in lies the rub in todays world of guitar playing anything old is considered better than something new. We forget that most of the guitar Icons of today had no Les Pauls or only Norlin jobs or crappy 70's strats so went and bought old stuff. These days the average Squire is better than a lot of 70's Strats. 

A large part of the vintage market has been fostered by media promotion of the big stars of guitar.

I think it was PRS that rightly said Hendrix played a brand new Strat and Marshall and recorded some of the best Strat tones we covet today.  He was probably very proud to own a shiny new guitar after growing up playing whatever was around in his jobbing days. Even when he had fame and money he did not say I want you to go find me a Strat like Buddy Holly had. Gilmour sounds  great also on his mongrel Strat, SRV sounded great on his mongrel Strat. etc etc

I have no doubt there are some magic old guitars and these are accidents of life and age, Its good to remember on stuff like Strats Fender never really cared about what corners he cut to make a buck he was running a factory not some hand made boutique. I can get a bit dewey eyed over something old and that has seen a bit of life but once you step back and use your ears I would say 90% of them are no better than what can be bought today. Most of it is nostalgia

It is also interesting that young musicians today who play in metal and other modern style guitar bands just look at you with a vague look of old git and would much rather have something modern. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322

It is also interesting that young musicians today who play in metal and other modern style guitar bands just look at you with a vague look of old git and would much rather have something modern. 

Yes, but with metal and high gain stuff in general, the inherent sound and character of a guitar is less important.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:

Yes, but with metal and high gain stuff in general, the inherent sound and character of a guitar is less important.
    I wouldn't say that given the wealth of choice of pickup and guitar that is tailored to "metal"
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    miserneil said:
    miserneil said:
    TTBZ said:
    Never played one but they don't appeal to me in the slightest. Extortionate prices and I'd never really feel comfortable playing one, they always look like they're about to fall to bits.

Vintage amps on the other hand
    See, I'm the total opposite of this. It may be totally unfounded but vintage amps fill me with dread, I'd not be comfortable gigging one for fear of it failing on me. That's why I go for the boutique versions of the classics.
    Don't you even have a nice vintage amp at home to enjoy?
    This guy!

Nope, I find my Pignose perfectly adequate....

Yeah, but it's gotta be a vintage Pignose for the mojo, bro.

definitely 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom