Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How do you keep the strap on the guitar?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
once my guitar straps get worn a bit, they seem to be forever coming off. It's darned annoying and very occasionally dangerous for both my toes and the structural wellbeing of my guitar. What do you lot do to keep them from coming off? I've tried various locking things and I hate them all. What's the best option?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Grolsch tops.

Do away with the button and use a flat washer and a felt washer and screw the strap permanently to the guitar.

Stand still.

:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Yes. These:

I'll send you a pair to try if you don't believe us.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1401
    I thought you could get 200 of those on eBay for £2 but a quick search says just 12 of them for £2? Dammit Brexit!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33996
    Grolsch washers here too.
    I thought people were being weirdly retro about them until I tried some for myself about 10 years ago.
    They are simply the best engineering solution for this problem.

Get a bag of 50 from a home-brew shop and never worry about any of your guitars falling off a strap.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11536
    octatonic said:
    I thought people were being weirdly retro about them until I tried some for myself about 10 years ago.

Get a bag of 50 from a home-brew shop and never worry about any of your guitars falling off a strap.
    Or alternatively just buy some Grolsch and drink it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Dunlop Lok Straps. The round ones, the pick shaped ones don't fit some of my guitars.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    octatonic said:

Unless you have vintage-worn Gibson buttons rear mounted by the heel. Oh, and a fat belly. Then they pop off. Sigh.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31213
    A bit anal, but on my vintage guitars, Grolsh, on my newer, straploks. I don't want to lose the old strap buttons y'see.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dunlop Lok Straps. The round ones, the pick shaped ones don't fit some of my guitars.
    The same for me. I know I'd be better off using proper strap locks but I can't be bothered to drill into the body and find the right screw width/length etc. 

That said, some of the new straps with integrated locks look sort of interesting like the Ernie Ball ones.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2958
    Schaller if they can be fitted because even if the mechanism fails the design will keep the strap on. Or grolsch rings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73121
    Vintage Rickenbacker buttons: Dunlop plastic rotary locks. Everything else: Grolsch washers.

As inspired by Bridgehouse, if the Grolsch washer isn't a tight enough fit on an old small button: Grolsch washer with a fibre washer from a Cliff jack over the top.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RolandRoland Frets: 8852
    TTBZ said:
    Schaller if they can be fitted because even if the mechanism fails the design will keep the strap on. Or grolsch rings.
    Schiller locks for the same reason, and because they sit closer to the guitar and put less mechanical strain on the screw than Dunlops
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Strplocks on my Rics and Grolsch washers on the rest
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7137
    tFB Trader
    Roland said:
    TTBZ said:
    Schiller locks for the same reason, and because they sit closer to the guitar and put less mechanical strain on the screw than Dunlops
    The recessed Dunlop "buttons" are pretty good in that respect, the strap lies very close to the guitar body. They do require drilling a big hole which some people might be reluctant to do.
  • derndern Frets: 357
    Schaller for me.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33996
    crunchman said:
    octatonic said:

Or alternatively just buy some Grolsch and drink it.
    I'm teetotal- I think axisus is as well.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4071
    Schaller on all guitars.
    And the icing on the cake is adding a couple of blobs of Loktite blue to stop the nuts loosening from the strap locks.  They're pretty good anyway but this sorts it completely.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    Image result for dunlop straplok
    Dunlop Straplok.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31981
    Schaller with Loctite here too. I always used Grolsch washers until I got a Les Paul, where the angle of the front button tries to peel the strap off if you're in the habit of lifting the headstock up when leaping about. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11770
    tFB Trader
    Dunlop straplocks all the way for me 
    My V and Rhoads guitars have the recessed buttons on the rear so the strap has a lower profile and doesn't tip forward.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!