Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How do you keep the strap on the guitar?

What's Hot

Comments

• normula1normula1 Frets: 643
    The Dunlop straplocks for me too. I useto use the Schallers but got fed up of the constant metal on metal squeek and the nuts coming loose. My last strap was a real pain though, I had to crush it in a vice to get it thin enough to fit the circlip. Strap was a normal Levy just like my others.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    Not my thing, but they normally come with some kind of buckle or support thing, which goes around your partner's hips and clips on round the back. I'm not sure I'd risk it on a guitar though?

Did I completely misread the title of the thread???
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Schallers work but are overkill.

Grolsch washers are the easiest. Most of my guitars keep their straps on all the time anyway, so the fact that they're fractionally more difficult to take off than Schallers is moo.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Grolsch. I buy so much of it I should be endorsed!
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6835
    edited November 2016
    Teetotallers can go here. 24p a pop
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    Grolsch. I buy so much of it I should be endorsed!
    Or check in to the Priory.
  • Plastic Dunlop locking rings on my SG. Mono straps have tight enough rubber ends for my strat and Reverend.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3023
    Used to use Dimarzio Clip lock straps which thinking back on it were great, I was however paranoid that the plastic clip would fail (never did) so went to Schallers which I didn't like because I found them very 'clanky' & noisy in use. Currently on Dunlops but don't like how they space the strap off of the guitar especially on heel mount strap buttons...
    Thing is I've mullered all my straps widening out the button holes for the straps.,,

sigh...
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2820
    I've never had this problem.  I guess I should jump about more?

I saw JJ Cale once.  He spent the entire gig sitting on a stool, most of it with his back to the audience.  Great gig though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    octatonic said:
    crunchman said:
    octatonic said:
    Grolsch washers here too.
    I thought people were being weirdly retro about them until I tried some for myself about 10 years ago.
    They are simply the best engineering solution for this problem.

Get a bag of 50 from a home-brew shop and never worry about any of your guitars falling off a strap.
    Or alternatively just buy some Grolsch and drink it.
    I'm teetotal- I think axisus is as well.
    Indeed I am! Well remembered.
  • thebreeze said:

I saw JJ Cale once.  He spent the entire gig sitting on a stool, most of it with his back to the audience.  Great gig though.
    Presumably that's why they call you The Breeze?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    thebreeze said:

I don't think my heart could've taken all that excitement.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    He must have saved a fortune on all those little plastic things though. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    thebreeze said:

I'm guessing that you were the drummer and you were pissed
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Over sized strap buttons. Simple, cheap, effective.
  • Sassafras said:
    thebreeze said:

For the record - I'm jealous.

Massive JJ Cale fan - would have loved to have seen him play - I'd have genuinely felt I was in the presence of a true legend....
  • Sassafras said:
    thebreeze said:

For the record - I'm jealous.

Massive JJ Cale fan - would have loved to have seen him play - I'd have genuinely felt I was in the presence of a true legend....

I don't really get JJ Cale, he's alright, but the only reason anyone knows about him is because Clapton is his biggest fan. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FWIW the beer bottle rubbers. However, having bought a pack of the ones sold for home brewing they aren't as stretchy as the Grolsch ones, so Grolsch are slightly better ( although I've lost all mine). IIRC you can't always get the bottles in supermarkets but they come back into stock running up to Xmas. Hmm...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • olafgarten said:
    I don't really get JJ Cale, he's alright, but the only reason anyone knows about him is because Clapton is his biggest fan. 
    You're probably right about EC's patronage having placed him on people's radar. 

That doesn't mean he wasn't great, though.

It is of course perfectly okay not to 'get him' - just as it is to consider him a personal musical hero :)
    olafgarten said:
    You're probably right about EC's patronage having placed him on people's radar. 

That doesn't mean he wasn't great, though.

It is of course perfectly okay not to 'get him' - just as it is to consider him a personal musical hero :)
    I'm really pleased I got to see him - like you, he's one of my musical heroes.  I can understand why people don't get him but I was hooked from the first time I listened to Naturally in my early teens.  He's a great song writer but a great player too imho - his ability to keep things simple whilst at the same time throwing in the unexpected is a particular skill.  He creates the sense of casual simplicity whilst being completely tight.  Clapton, Knopfler, Young, Mayer, Leon Russell etc - they all revere him.