Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How do you keep the strap on the guitar?

What's Hot

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4814
    octatonic said:
    Grolsch washers here too.
    I thought people were being weirdly retro about them until I tried some for myself about 10 years ago.
    They are simply the best engineering solution for this problem.

Get a bag of 50 from a home-brew shop and never worry about any of your guitars falling off a strap.
    I'd suggest caution - they are good, convenient and inexpensive solution, but I have had them come off on my Les Paul Custom so I now use Strap Locks on my heavier guitars and the washers on others.   ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyRAndyR Frets: 158
    I use plastic strimmer blades with the blade part removed. They go over even the biggest buttons I've come across, and clip nicely onto the shaft of the button. On the Les Paul angle, they just bend a bit - the angle doesn't pop them off.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Dunlop straplocks for me too.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5222
    edited November 2016
    I've got Couch straps on most of my guitars. They're made from upholstery vinyl, which I've found doesn't stretch and warp like leather strap ends, so it's not been an issue. 

Admittedly a bit of an expensive fix if you already have a nice leather strap that you like, but if you don't...

I still have some Grolsch washers knocking around somewhere. That's what I'd use otherwise.

Oh, and if you don't like Grolsch, all the Aldi stores near me have some german beers in with the same stopper tops :D

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1401
    Sassafras said:
    thebreeze said:
    I've never had this problem.  I guess I should jump about more?

I saw JJ Cale once.  He spent the entire gig sitting on a stool, most of it with his back to the audience.  Great gig though.

I don't think my heart could've taken all that excitement.
    For the record - I'm jealous.

Massive JJ Cale fan - would have loved to have seen him play - I'd have genuinely felt I was in the presence of a true legend....

I don't really get JJ Cale, he's alright, but the only reason anyone knows about him is because Clapton is his biggest fan. 
    Cale features on Clapton's latest live album. It's not good. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Right, I've sent @axisus a few Grolsch washers so he can try them and join the club ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Originally, I went for belt-and-braces Dunlop-style strap locks, but in recent years the oversized buttons on my RG and the tightish fit of its Levy's strap have been sufficient on their own. Not planning on doing this soon, so I find the above ample: https://media.giphy.com/media/QhNd1joaOO48M/giphy.gif
    english_bob said:
    Oh, and if you don't like Grolsch, all the Aldi stores near me have some german beers in with the same stopper tops :D

Wis'd this, swing-tops have been very much en-vogue in Germany in recent years, so there's a good selection of beers available with this type of closure. Most fortunate, as I don't like Grolsch. Also, some are available in different colours, I have some nice dark blue ones, and have also seen yellow and green about, for those who like to accessorise...

QI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip-top

De Quillfeldt rubber gasket, anyone?

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    One of those dunlop plastic things on the bottom end of the acoustic.

Standard oversize buttons on the Lite Ashe Tele.

Everything else converted to the dunlop straplocks. Even the button on the back of the neck of the ES335 is sound. The original buttons remain in each case sould anyone want to convert back for some reason. Every guitar has it's own thick leather strap pre adjusted so it's click and go.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    Aldi are selling a very nice dark German beer for 97p, the washers are identical to grolsch and the beers tasty too!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2958
    As @english_bob says the Couch straps are excellent. I have 3 of the racer straps and love them. Vegan friendly too if you're into that sort of thing.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 621
    edited November 2016
    The plastic Dunlop ones work for me but maybe I should drink some Grolsch in order to fully evaluate the benefits of their straplock / bottle stopper system.  So, 4 guitars = 8 bottles, plus I'll need a couple of spares.....best get a crate then.
  • We played a show a couple of weeks ago and the morning after our other guitarist found out that someone had stolen the Grolsch washers off his guitar, probably the weirdest theft ever...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebob said:
    Aldi are selling a very nice dark German beer for 97p, the washers are identical to grolsch and the beers tasty too!
    It's £1.97 at my local Aldi. Nice though.

• Grolsch washers here too. Good excuse to buy beer and they work really well!
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    When I look at a £2k guitar offered on Gumtree, and the guys says that the part that stops the guitar falling on the floor has been replaced.....by him......for reasons which are unknown or unclear......and he cannot quite recall if Matchsticks or Toothpicks were used to re-attach the vital part.....I hate that.

I really hate that.

In fact it can cause me to pass on the guitar.

There are 3 great solutions that work with the factory buttons on a Les Paul.
    Grolsch washers.
    Dunlop plastic locks (used by Mark Knopfler on his $800,000 1958 Les Paul)
    Planet Waves Planet Lock Strap (Highly recommended - by me).

I use the second and third options. I don't use a 1958 Les Paul. My guitar is slightly older.

grungebob said:
    North/south divide? Picked up more last night 97p. Lovely 
  • grungebob said:
    grungebob said:
    North/south divide? Picked up more last night 97p. Lovely 
    Lincs / Leics divide?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @english_bob  you wouldn't have thought so,maybe it's a short shelf life product at ours. It's Schwartz something or other and defo 97p a bottle. 
  • Grolsch for me. As the pose factor of guitar playing means your strap must hang as close to your crotch as you can get it and still remain playable but for those tricky tunes where you need to play "mark king style" you got to be able to quickly swap strap holes to shorten it. So straploks etc don't work - grolsch all the way