Really nice semi-acoustics?

What's Hot
MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
A couple of UK luthier ones I'm aware of are the Waghorn Sauria Jazz:

http://www.waghornguitars.com/electric/sauria-j.php

and the Case J25:

http://www.caseguitars.co.uk/j25-product

which looks a bit lovely. Any other nice high end semi's I might like to oggle? (ooer, titter titter etc.).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Collings obviously
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Yep, Collings would have to be in the list, good one @Winny_Pooh ;

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3963
    Heritage
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks @Lebarque - they do make nice stuff it's true. I was hoping I might discover some more interesting, lesser-known builders to be honest, but maybe there aren't that many out there.
    All nice ones @Basher cheers - Gadow and Languedoc are new to me, and look interesting. Personally not sure re the 24 fret neck design of the Languedoc ones - I think probably I'd rather have 22 frets and the neck pickup a bit further from the bridge. But they certainly look very cool I must say. Haven't checked out what Eastman doing lately, so that's a good call. And of course Sadowsky make very nice guitars, and the venerable Yamaha is unquestionably worthy of note.
  • Taylor T series are nice. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Taylor T series are nice. 
    Just looked those up - I think a bit too far towards the electro-acoustic side of things for what I was thinking @olafgarten, but again very nice guitars, and worth a mention certainly. :)
  • Megii said:
    Just looked those up - I think a bit too far towards the electro-acoustic side of things for what I was thinking @olafgarten, but again very nice guitars, and worth a mention certainly. :)

I think the T5 is more acoustic like but the T3 has 2 Humbuckers and a proper electric bridge. 
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    From Charlie Christian onwards, the best choice for Jazz has been Gibson.

(I am reading Play it Loud * and was a bit stunned to learn that Charlie was 25 when he died. He took on a ridiculous gigging workload....got sick.....contracted pneumonia.....died in Hospital.)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Play-Loud-History-Revolution-Electric/dp/038554099X

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14846
    tFB Trader
    I've got to agree with Collings
    Megii said:

I think the T5 is more acoustic like but the T3 has 2 Humbuckers and a proper electric bridge. 
    See what you're saying, cheers @olafgarten - it looks nice enough, but not really to my taste really, forgive me for saying. For me it still has a bit too much of an acoustic body shape, and not particularly good cutaway access to the upper frets. And I don't like the way the neck pickup is so far from the end of the fretboard. Sorry, and appreciate being made aware of the guitar, and that is just me of course. :)
    Skipped said:
    From Charlie Christian onwards, the best choice for Jazz has been Gibson.

(I am reading Play it Loud * and was a bit stunned to learn that Charlie was 25 when he died. He took on a ridiculous gigging workload....got sick.....contracted pneumonia.....died in Hospital.)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Play-Loud-History-Revolution-Electric/dp/038554099X
    Cheers @Skipped - incredibly young age for CC to die, poor chap, and such an incredible talent that was lost there.

An old Gibson - maybe a 1964 ES335 for me, would be an amazing instrument to own no doubt. Although I've always found the 335 shape a bit too bulky, and a bit too bulbous with all that bulk behind the bridge - that's just how I find things personally of course. Hence why I rather like the more streamlined proportions of the Case J25 and Waghorn Sauria J that I linked to. But nice to chat about these things, and cheers for the reply! :)
    Would be lovely to try one some time, they do seem to shout quality when I look at pictures of them.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12118
    Megii said:

T3 is  a proper semi
    I have one
    Very flexible due to clever pickups and switching
    Anyway, do you mean hollow,  with centre-block, or both?
  • Megii said:
    Would be lovely to try one some time, they do seem to shout quality when I look at pictures of them.

... and they're an absolute steal for what they sell for on the second hand market.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    high end?? does around  £3k+ count?

Japanese-made Ibanez Pat Metheny & George Bensons
    PRS Hollowbody is wonderful
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Anyway, do you mean hollow,  with centre-block, or both?
    I guess more with the centre block @ToneControl although I'd also include things like the PRS Hollowbody 2 in there - I think that maybe has just a block where the bridge is, rather than running all the way down the centre. But generally more of the thinner kind of body, and the sort of thing that would have some solidbody-ish sustain and be able to work well with a bit of drive/gain, while also able to get into more woody jazz-ish tones as well. Not really looking at traditional jazz archtops - not that I'm really considering any purchase at the moment, I was just fancying a bit of chat re semi-acoustics in general, and to have a look at some nice guitars. :)
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3963
    Not wishing to derail the thread, but having assembled several partscasters, I quite fancy doing my own es-335 style. But where can i get the body from?