Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do leads make a difference?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3694
I know the HIFI community can debate till the cows come home about leads and cables making a difference in sound, but with guitars is it more a build quality thing between cheap and expensive leads?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73185
    No - guitar cables do make a significant difference to the sound, because they have capacitance large enough to interact with the output impedance of a guitar pickup, in a passive guitar. (Little to none with an active guitar with something like EMG pickups, though.)

Cable capacitance is also dependent on length, so a longer cable will also affect the tone more than a short one even if the same quality.

Cable capacitance takes away top-end, and also lowers the resonant peak frequency of the pickups, so it has a very real effect on the tone of the guitar - not quite as simple as just rolling off treble.

No other property of the cable matters for the tone, though - not resistance or inductance, they are far too small to have any effect.

You don't necessarily want the lowest possible capacitance though - that can give an overly shrill tone which some people don't like. You can always turn down the guitar or amp tone controls, but it isn't quite the same effect, because of that interaction with the pickup.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3694
    Thanks, is there a recommended length? Obviously it depends on the guitar , Would a Squier standard Tele want a longer lead perhaps?
    Maybe. I find my Rickenbacker sounds better with a 10' cable and my Strat better with a 20', both of the same brand. Not a huge difference but noticeable if you swap them.

Usually you don't want anything shorter than about 6' (too awkward to move about with) or longer than about 20' (too much to keep from tangling easily), and at 20' you're going to get some treble loss with more or less any cable quality.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I always use 10' cables, but I make my own up. 

Thete is quite a difference between say sommer and van dam. 

I generally go for sommer, but My tele sounds better.which other makes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29220
    Also there is no correlation between cable cost and capacitance, other than that the very cheapest tend to be higher capacitance.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • j_rj_r Frets: 4

The effects of cable capacitance was discussed and demonstrated on That Pedal Show earlier this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSWqLuXUfnY

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    All Jimi Hendrix's curly cables must've added up to about 3 miles of cable.
    Not too many complaints about his sound.
  • Sassafras said:
    Nobody has said anything about better or worse - just different.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17004
    Curly cables are odd though.  The best ones add a really nice warmth. The worst just sound very dull.  Depending on your perspective, and the rest of your rig, that may well be the same thing
    Sassafras said:
    Exactly - about 120', if you stretch out four 10' coily cables to their maximum length and add it up.

Sassafras said:
    If you duplicate his setup with modern low-capacitance cables and don't use those nasty treble-sucking non-true-bypass pedals he did, then play a Strat on the bridge pickup through it at the same volume he did, you will not only get complaints, you'll probably be in breach of several Human Rights treaties...

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    So do leads deteriorate over time with use (a bit like valves)......is it good to renew them periodically?....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    rawk100 said:
    So do leads deteriorate over time with use (a bit like valves)......is it good to renew them periodically?....
    Not really, although they can go crackly and microphonic as they get old sometimes, which is actually a sign that they're probably about to fail.

I've been using the same set of Horizon cables for about twenty years now though - no problems other than having to resolder a few of the plugs and replace a couple that actually wore out, on my most-used one... through to the brass and not making such a good contact.

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3694
    As far as I'm aware curling cable effects capacitance
    robgilmo said:
    As far as I'm aware curling cable effects capacitance
    Only if it squeezes the dielectric into a thinner layer, which it shouldn't if it's a decent cable.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4824
    Interestingly, I recently bought myself a Line 6 G10 relay wireless system, in which the capacitance is pre-set to a cable length of 10ft. (with the more expensive Relay units you can actually adjust the capacitance cable length equivalent). When I first heard it at home volumes I could immediately hear better clarity than with my cables (I use a Vox curly lead and straight Pirhana cables of around 20ft). In a band mix at volume the difference is much more subtle, but it does help cut through the mix a smidgeon better, re-affirming its 10m cable capacitence setting. Very slight tweaks of the amps tone control get you back to longer cable feel. I also have a 10ft Pirhana cable, and its almost identical to the G10 Relay tone which suggests Line 6 has got its pseudo 10ft setting about right.  

These things are always personal, but the G10 did open my eyes/ears to the treble roll off you do get with cables. Some folk like quite a relatively high level of treble loss, which they perceive as warmer, others don't. But your ears do tend to get used to less treble roll off very quickly. As I mentioned the differences you hear at gigging volumes in a band mix are much more subtle than at lower home volumes.

But the theme of cable capacitence, alternative wireless solutions etc is an interesting one. Not a matter of better or worse tone, just slightly different.      
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    For a long time, the fact that wireless manufacturers hadn't woke up to the cable capacitance issue was responsible for the "wireless sounds thin, nasty and artificial compared to a cable" idea - which is wrong, a decent wireless outputs a signal identical to the one that goes in.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    Always amazes me how those Pedal Show guys manage to cram 3 minutes of subject material into half-hour video clips.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4824
    edited November 2016
    ICBM said:
    For a long time, the fact that wireless manufacturers hadn't woke up to the cable capacitance issue was responsible for the "wireless sounds thin, nasty and artificial compared to a cable" idea - which is wrong, a decent wireless outputs a signal identical to the one that goes in.
    And I think that's spot on. Initially I thought that the wireless tone wasn't wholly accurate...until I realised it was actually giving me a purer more direct quality tone and it was the cables that were colouring the tone!  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • When I started 30 years ago, all I could get was curly leads. Cheap ones. Then the shop started to stock straight leads. Cheap ones (it's one of those shops that makes its living on student equipment). 

Anyway. Curly lacked top end for me. Bit like a blanket over the amp.

I mostly use Kotz at the moment. Better than Stagg, not sure about Planet Waves.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3969
    I know one thing. I went through shitloads of cables until I got my Kabl!