Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD - R8 Plaintop

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
Day off today, and the missus kindly said she would accompany me down to Peach. Nothing at all to do with the fabric shop next door. No, nothing at all..

They have quite a few R8 plaintops in. I tried them all. 

The assistant handed over an R8 with a hand selected top which was not long in, and it was the antithesis of what I was looking for.. 

It had flame in it. It was a Lemonburst. It was really light compared with the others. It was also a hefty chunk more cash. 

But my oh my it played so well. There was variation between each of them - resonance, feel all sorts of things - but this one was the one. I sighed a bit as I admitted that it was the best. The best of all the R8s in the shop. Probably the best Les Paul I had ever played. 

So I went to go find the missus for a second opinion. On my way out I asked if they would do a deal on it. Got the missus, walked back in - the assistant said they would do it for a price that was lower than any other R8 in the shop - and lower than I had seen any other new R8's available anywhere else. "We'll put it in the Black Friday deals for you". 

Ooof. It was significantly under my walk in budget. So I spluttered, handed over my cash, picked it up and popped it in the boot. 

I guess I did want an R8 after all... I know, I know it's not a plain plaintop. And yes, It's a Lemonburst.. but it's my Lemonburst..

0reaction image LOL 39reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5670
    edited November 2016
    That looks bloody lovely - good score!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A fine piece! Many thanks for the business 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17499
    yeah, so plain.   you poor thing.  I feel sorry for you for not being able to afford one with some figure   ;)
  • love that one - lemonbursts look great :-)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    A fine piece! Many thanks for the business 
    You guys are a credit to bricks and mortar shops.. I had a lovely afternoon in the shop - and the missus spent too much of my money in the fabric shop!

I would heartily recommend anyone to go check out Peach if you haven't. It's like guitar heaven.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    yeah, so plain.   you poor thing.  I feel sorry for you for not being able to afford one with some figure   ;)
    If you angle it right under the right lights... Nah, balls to it - I love the top ;)
  • 'Wow'd'....
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17499
    WezV said:
    If you angle it right under the right lights... Nah, balls to it - I love the top ;)
    it is lovely... to me its just the right amount of figure for a les paul.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Looking online I was surprised to see quite a few leftys at Peach.  That might be the first place to go if my long-planned journey to find a quality Gibson ever comes to pass.
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2295
    That's stunning. Love the lemon burst. Congrats!
  • Peach are the best. Guitar shopping how it should be

They put many others to shame 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74484
    WezV said:

Agreed - not *too* symmetrical, not too even a flame, and some nice lengthwise grain - and just the right colour to look like a very faded old one too. About as perfect as any I've ever seen.

Looks like it has an exactly right neck angle too.

Intonation looks off though ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    F*ck me. "Plain". Riiiiight. Congrats!!!
    ICBM said:
    WezV said:

Agreed - not *too* symmetrical, not too even a flame, and some nice lengthwise grain - and just the right colour to look like a very faded old one too. About as perfect as any I've ever seen.

Looks like it has an exactly right neck angle too.

Intonation looks off though ;).
    I've got me screwdriver out right now to sort that out. Like tuning up an old banana box at the mo ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Love it. It's a peach. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So - let me get this straight...... You take the missus to a guitar shop (and no ordinary guitar shop either) and not only do you score a beauty but you get a great deal???????? Things come in threes ---- do the fucking lottery this weekend!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    That makes this Fender guy want a Les Paul - that's as near to my perfect looking LP as I've seen for some time, congrats.
  • Lovely Les Paul that, in fact, in Sheffield we would say "It's R8 that"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh lord that's a beautiful guitar. Congrats.

• That is very very pretty