Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD - R8 Plaintop

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25101
    We can slag off Gibson all we like, but they don't get it wrong all the time.  That is a beautiful thing.

I have to know... you said it was really light compared with the others.  What's the weight?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    Philly_Q said:
    We can slag off Gibson all we like, but they don't get it wrong all the time.  That is a beautiful thing.

I have to know... you said it was really light compared with the others.  What's the weight?

8lb 3oz
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:

8lb 3oz
    Even I'd be happy with that!  Excellent.  :)
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:

8lb 3oz
    Even I'd be happy with that!  Excellent.  :)
    Yeah - I reckon (didn't actually know the weight of the others) most of the others were a smidge under or over 9 lb. One was clearly a tubber and prob. 9 1/2 lb. 

Picked this one up, and I was like, is this a R8 cos it feels like it's chambered or summat!

Very pleased. Negative side is, of course, balance at the neck - R8's chunky neck needs something to counter balance. Seems ok on the strap tho, but I've not spent a lot of time with a strap on it. 
    edited November 2016
    I wouldn't have thought balance will be a problem, a little bit of extra wood in the neck isn't adding a lot of weight and it's not as if it's all concentrated at the headstock end.  

My R8 is chambered - it's a CR8, in fact, weighs about 7lbs - and it's not noticeably neck-heavy.
    edited November 2016
    Philly_Q said:
    I wouldn't have thought balance will be a problem, a little bit of extra wood in the neck isn't adding a lot of weight and it's not as if it's all concentrated at the headstock end.  

My R8 is chambered - it's a CR8, in fact, weighs about 7lbs - and it's not noticeably neck-heavy.
    The R6 Goldtop I have is a bit more - just a smidge more. To be fair they both seem to balance fine. It's not like they are SGs or anything ;)
  • Do you want my Pay Pal address so you can buy me a new pair of pants?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Do you want my Pay Pal address so you can buy me a new pair of pants?
    I'm afraid you are responsible for your own in-pant issues ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The one I tried a year back was also very light and not chambered. I was surprised. We need more media relating to your purchase!
    The one I tried a year back was also very light and not chambered. I was surprised. We need more media relating to your purchase!
    More?! Oh, okay - I'll see what I can rustle up tonight. Don't get too excited - late on a Sunday is not the ideal time for inspired composition! ;)
    @thomasross20 Why do I agree to these things? 

Right. This took 30 mins, and that included learning the thing as well, as for some reason I've never actually learned it before. It was on the radio whilst I was cooking earlier, so decided to butcher a recording just for a laugh. Plus the fact it's a famous burst so why the hell not huh?

Learned it, pulled together a cheesy vocal-copying lead-ish riff. Slapped a drum track down and did it in, ooh, probably 2 takes once I'd worked out what the hell I was doing. Yeah, yeah, I know.. I know.. still, you did ask for samples. (you didn't say they couldn't be crap ;) )

https://soundcloud.com/user-108106819/not-all-right-now
    (Chords are Bridge Pup, cheesy lead line is Middle position)
  • pj310pj310 Frets: 41
    @Bridgehouse Nice!
    pj310 said:
    Thanks man, I still think the intonations off tho.. ;)
  • What did you use for drums?
    That's great! That nice LP sound. Man.. you're a lucky guy!
    What did you use for drums?
    That's great! That nice LP sound. Man.. you're a lucky guy!
    Don't laugh - GarageBand, cos it was easy and it's late ;)
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16312
    CRACKER....is it a regular historic or a true historic bro?
    tae be or not tae be
    hootsmon said:
    CRACKER....is it a regular historic or a true historic bro?
    Regular. Hand selected top apparently. Other than that, a bog standard Custom Shop R8
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2831
    That is fantastic.  The importance of it being "the one" is that it will be played in (and worn out) by you over the years and will become exactly the plaintop you always imagined.