Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD - R8 Plaintop

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584

Looks great, what pickups are in it? 
    Custom Buckers.. It's the new post-2014 Reissue "almost exactly nearly completely the same as the original PAFs as we can dare get them without ripping the space time continuum" things..
    Have you ever seen the original winding instructions for a paf pickup?
    No - do they sound like a Star Trek conversation, or is it a one liner "get some wire and wind it round 'ere til it's about this thick" ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pee burst...my favourite! ;)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17499

Custom Buckers.. It's the new post-2014 Reissue "almost exactly nearly completely the same as the original PAFs as we can dare get them without ripping the space time continuum" things..
    No - do they sound like a Star Trek conversation, or is it a one liner "get some wire and wind it round 'ere til it's about this thick" ?
    fill the bobbin and throw it in that bucket over there
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:

fill the bobbin and throw it in that bucket over there
    Ah ok - my kind of instructions ;)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15429
    tFB Trader
    looks mighty fine and glad you found one - Certainly does not look to glitzy - just enough flame etc - And did you take them a latte or is that my privilege still ?
    No, no - you're the only retailer with latte privileges!!
    2 key points

1) - you said it is probably the best LP I've ever played - that's what it is all about - top and bottom line - I assume you include tonal character within phrase

2) glad to hear about the latte - that is more important than 1)    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy your LP for many years
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74484
    ICBM said:

Intonation looks off though ;).
    I've got me screwdriver out right now to sort that out. Like tuning up an old banana box at the mo ;)
    I can't understand how it even left the factory like that! Even the cheapest far-east copy usually comes out of the box set 3+3 in an even stagger, which is usually in the right ballpark.

But if that's the only thing wrong with it I wouldn't care much either :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14265
    edited November 2016
    Good for you. I like my 2016 R8 a lot, I think these are the best value historics in the current lineup, such little difference to an R9 just a lot cheaper

ICBM said:
    ICBM said:

Intonation looks off though ;).
    I've got me screwdriver out right now to sort that out. Like tuning up an old banana box at the mo ;)
    I can't understand how it even left the factory like that! Even the cheapest far-east copy usually comes out of the box set 3+3 in an even stagger, which is usually in the right ballpark.

But if that's the only thing wrong with it I wouldn't care much either :).
    Just intonated it now - it's ended up not too dissimilar to how it was, but it definitely looks a bit more 3+3 now!
    looks mighty fine and glad you found one - Certainly does not look to glitzy - just enough flame etc - And did you take them a latte or is that my privilege still ?
    No, no - you're the only retailer with latte privileges!!
    2 key points

1) - you said it is probably the best LP I've ever played - that's what it is all about - top and bottom line - I assume you include tonal character within phrase

2) glad to hear about the latte - that is more important than 1)    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy your LP for many years
    Tonal characteristics and playability were the key. Acoustically it ringed out and felt much more resonant, and the board felt really comfy. I was amazed by neck dimension variation as well.

Latte will always be available - next guitar show I'm at I will bring another ;)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    edited November 2016
    I just came back to this thread to look at the pics again because it's so damned pretty & I really do like lemon-bursts.  In the words of Olivia Newton John - 'you're the one that I want!'.  Hopefully I'll be able to treat myself to one like this in the new year.  Depending on finances might have to be 'pre-owned' though from a trusted source (e.g. from a Fretboarder).  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74484
    Bridgehouse said:

Tonal characteristics and playability were the key. Acoustically it ringed out and felt much more resonant, and the board felt really comfy. I was amazed by neck dimension variation as well.
    Now you know that when you find the *right* Les Paul, you need to make sure you never sell it - unless you're absolutely sure Les Pauls are not for you. Even if you never use it for years, keep it - you won't find another one that perfect.

My mistake was not buying the *right* one when I had the chance, but that's another story.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

Now you know that when you find the *right* Les Paul, you need to make sure you never sell it - unless you're absolutely sure Les Pauls are not for you. Even if you never use it for years, keep it - you won't find another one that perfect.

My mistake was not buying the *right* one when I had the chance, but that's another story.
    My initial 'humph' yesterday was the 'right' one was beyond my budget - but I knew it was the right one. When they came back with the price, arms were bitten off..
  • ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

Man you really regret that! 
    Probably same with me but it was 6.5k... No way
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Lovely.
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    EXcellent. Happy NGD. My r8 is my most played guitar and has been ever since I got it. :-)
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Oh wow that's absolutely stunning. 
  • Just intonated it now - it's ended up not too dissimilar to how it was, but it definitely looks a bit more 3+3 now!
    Just intonation?!! ;)
    Just intonated it now - it's ended up not too dissimilar to how it was, but it definitely looks a bit more 3+3 now!
    Just intonation?!! ;)
    Yeah thought I'd try some Renaissance music over the weekend ;)
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    @bridgehouse What we need is a thread with pics and SoundCloud links of this collection you've been building.
    mixolyd said:
    @bridgehouse What we need is a thread with pics and SoundCloud links of this collection you've been building.
    I was wondering when I was going to get asked that. Yeah. I'll do some group shots. 

Then I'll try and pop some recordings together that use each of them and you can guess which is which then ;)