Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5916
    This is a good tune that's around currently. If it's not too blasphemous, it has "The Police" vibes to it in places.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4101
    Phosphorescent

My favourite thing at the moment.

And I'm having a think about if I can get away to see them cos they're around this neck of the woods.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1203
    Grunfeld said:
    Phosphorescent

My favourite thing at the moment.

And I'm having a think about if I can get away to see them cos they're around this neck of the woods.
    Enjoyed them at Glastonbury too. Really liked Muchacho. Might so see them in Glasgow in a couple of weeks. 
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    I bought Joe Satriani's "Unstoppable Momentum" today. Along with California Breed's album and a copy of Bounce by Bon Jovi cos it was real cheap, so I've just been listening to those.

Bon Jovi kinda made me wretch a little bit. It's not that good, is it!? The old stuff was better... waaaayyy better. But at least it was only a few bucks. Not worth any more than that! 

Meanwhile, Satch in typical fashion.
    Debating whether to go see him live in November or not still. Tickets quite pricey though! But I like the album. "Lies and Truths" has some very nice fretwork in there, so does "Jumpin' In" 

As for California Breed. Wonder who produced that? Production is awful. A LOT of focus on the bass. Which SUCKS because they've got a very talented guitar player/singer. Too much Glenn Hughes. Glenn seems to have a bit of an ego, especially since Black Country Communion. In all honesty out of the two projects... BCC and California Breed, the best thing has to be, for me, the Afterglow (final) album by BCC. It's got a maturity to it which is nice. Production kinda spoils it. But it's mature and you can't feel the stench of Hughes's ego. Whether others would agree he's egotistic or not, it's just what I feel. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Blocking out the world with Daniel Lanois - Shine

Haven't listened to this for ages, but it's on my Amazon Cloud Player account so I'm re-visiting it whilst ignoring annoying salesmen in the office.

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6951
    This is a good tune that's around currently. If it's not too blasphemous, it has "The Police" vibes to it in places.

Heard this for the first time yesterday and thought exactly the same thing, definitely a Police vibe in places.

• thewiddlerthewiddler Frets: 31
    edited July 2014
    Loving the new stuff from Real Estate. Ok, I admit that originality isn't one of their selling points, but they've got the songs and if you're partial to tuneful, jangly guitar pop then I recommend checking out the album Atlas too.  Ignore the video and have a listen...

• DougDoug Frets: 172
    edited July 2014
    Ok, late 80's/90's ish cheese AOR but still. Dann Huff /Giant~ Quality!

and these ~
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    Black flag
    I didn't pay much attention to the Steve Miller Band until there was something on TV, recent-ish live performance. 

He's a bit good isn't he? Didn't realise he could play like that.

Some of his lyrics are a bit shit tho, mind.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • therose789therose789 Frets: 467
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It's a great album that. Very impressed by Mastodon's output over the past few years. Blood Mountain/Crack the Skye/The Hunter/Once More 'Round The Sun, all very good albums. 

F*cking ACE.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    I heard about this band when in Canada. I really like their style and think her voice is awesome.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16669

F*cking ACE.
    I have that somewhere, must dig it out again. Given my general dislike of rock music made after about 1982 I'd probably have to describe it as a Guilty Pleasure. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    @EricTheWeary To be fair, it sounds like something that could have been made pre-82.

(i.e. it's good)

Neil Fallon (if that's his name..I'm not majorly into them) is a very engaging frontman/ singer. Almost "Fervent Baptist minister" in his delivery in places, you might say.

It's fairly simple, straightforward music, but it has something about it.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16669
    RocknRollDave;297507" said:
    @EricTheWeary To be fair, it sounds like something that could have been made pre-82.

(i.e. it's good)

Neil Fallon (if that's his name..I'm not majorly into them) is a very engaging frontman/ singer. Almost "Fervent Baptist minister" in his delivery in places, you might say.

It's fairly simple, straightforward music, but it has something about it.
    Bit Sabbath, bit ZZ Top as I remember it. I had a free download of the album via some weird offer in Guitarist. I think they would be fun live.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    This is superb. False lights brand new cover of Polly on the shore. Love that guitar sound:

https://soundcloud.com/folk-radio-uk/false-lights-polly-on-the-shore
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Picked up a very cheap (and in terms of sound quality not that good) double CD of pianist Bill Evans in HMV a month or two ago. 

I've finally got round to properly listening to it in the last week and I've listened to little else since then. 

This gives a taste of his general approach (the length is just due to it being a little sign off track at the end of his debut album). 

• dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    Picked a copy of the Daltry / Wilko calibration for a fiver. For a bit of authentic R&R it's pretty decent.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom