Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    This morning; Throwing Copper by +LIVE+
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited July 2014
    Just listened to "Verklarte Nacht" by Schoenberg, in its entirety. The version conducted by Karajan. Awe-inspiring.

Now I'm listening to another extremely long piece, in a rather different style... "True Religion", by Ramleh. Also utterly mesmerising.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • This, lots of this

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    RocknRollDave;297507" said:
    @EricTheWeary To be fair, it sounds like something that could have been made pre-82.

(i.e. it's good)

Neil Fallon (if that's his name..I'm not majorly into them) is a very engaging frontman/ singer. Almost "Fervent Baptist minister" in his delivery in places, you might say.

It's fairly simple, straightforward music, but it has something about it.
    Bit Sabbath, bit ZZ Top as I remember it. I had a free download of the album via some weird offer in Guitarist. I think they would be fun live.
    Your assumptions are correct. They are fun live. :) 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    Work of Art - In Progress. This album is AOR perfection. 
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23195

After the bands you've only just got around to listening to thread I've been on My Morning Jacket this week. They are nowhere near the heavy awesome rock I was expecting given the hairy guy with a flying V I've seen in pictures. Turns out they're just hipster bastards and I'm not convinced they're very good :(

All you need from MMJ are the At Dawn and It Still Moves albums. After that they did indeed turn into sucky hipster idiots. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Lots of Badfinger today, on repeat in my brain.

This is my way of saying I've had "I'd Die, Babe" stuck in my head ALL fucking day. Great song though.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Judas Priest Redeemer of Souls.

Another Priest album which'll sit well with fans, old and new alike.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16477
    a random selection of Roddy Womble in his various incarnations.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2014
    Swans - To Be Kind. 

Two hours of basically being pummelled into submission but fucking hell, what a brilliant album this is.

Now though, I'm listening to "X&Y" by Coldplay for the first time in about seven years and I'm surprised by how little I hate it. Actually, "Fix You" and "Talk" in particular are bloody great. I loved those singles when they came out (I was only about ten)... "Fix You" still really works. That big rock bit they always use on dramatic TV scenes actually has, dare I say it, a bit of a post-rock sound.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    As I'm off to Brighton for the next two days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP4yP3-I8Tk
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6951
    edited July 2014
    Black Crowes - Warpaint and Lions albums

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    Bucket;303860" said:
    "Fix You" still really works
    It's amazing how apologetic people seem to get when admitting to liking Coldplay. Fix You and The Scientist have often reduced me to tears for all the right reasons. Can explain why - but they get to me on an emotional level.

I don't own any of their albums - just a handful of their songs which I've down-loaded. At their very best, they are wonderful.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 637

This, lots of this

Its been all Tame Impala over the last couple of days but these sound right up my street (not currently on my radar!)

@Deadman what an album, the bass lines themselves are absolute quality

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Absolute Radio on Friday and Saturday evenings: 80's night on Friday and Classic Rock on Saturday. 

All the stuff I thought I'd forgotten. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Following on from seeing him last Thursday night I've got the new acoustic album from the fabulous flashing fingers of Mr Richard Thompson.

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7420
    Finelines by My Vitriol, like it's 2001 again.
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Alice in Chains - Man in a Box. I fucking love that tune...
    edited July 2014
    Having a cheesy pop evening. Not going to call them guilty pleasures like a lot of people seem to, partly for fear of pissing off Emp Fab and partly because I genuinely don't feel guilty in the slightest about liking these songs.

So far:

Kelly Clarkson - "Since U Been Gone" and "Behind These Hazel Eyes"
    Carly Rae Jepsen - "Call Me Maybe"
    Wham - "Club Tropicana", "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" and "Freedom"
    ABBA - "SOS", "Knowing Me, Knowing You"

Now listening to "Beach Baby" by the First Class, which I first heard at the age of about six and have loved ever since. It's a great song, and the arrangement of the orchestral parts and the vocal harmonies is just utterly wonderful. Like the Beach Boys but more OTT.

Earlier I was listening to Strapping Young Lad though, so I'm not totally lame and un-metal.
    Alice in Chains - Man in a Box. I fucking love that tune...
    As I posted on FB last week. Probably my favourite guitar solo of all time.