Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    SidNewton said:
    Stone Temple Pilots. Playing them to death at the moment. Can't get past the first 2 albums. Favourite tracks: Interstate Love Song, Crackerman and Kitchenware & Candybars,
    Their first two albums were their best by a long way IMHO. "Shangri-La-Dee-Da" was OK too. 

Was listening to Team Rock, but now listening to the new Gaslight Anthem. First track sounds good thus far. But it's going to take a lot to top "Handwritten" for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5110
    sinbaadi said:
    A favourite old album of my youth, the self titled Supergrass.  Remembered how much I loved this one:
    Never heard this track before, it kinda works its way into your brain.  Nice one.  Is the album still available @sinbaadi ?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1424
    Sure to be.  It's on the Spotify too.  
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    joneve said:
    Anybody ever catch the reality show that followed a supergroup looking for a singer? 

They did it for INXS as well. The INXS one was "Rock Star: INXS" but the one I'm talking about is Rock Star: Supernova where they already had the foundation band who were a supergroup. If I recall it's Jason Newsted and Gilby Clarke who were in the band and the reality show found them some unknown nobody to front the band and sing. Brooke Burke and Dave Navarro hosted the show.  

I found the one album they made in the library so I've loaned it. What a shame that it never really came to anything more! I really like it. It's a great rock album. Got a kinda Velvet Revolver thing going on in places (probably due to the fact Gilby Clarke was in the band)  I've got/had some of the albums that other people who were on both those shows respectively (including Juke Kartel and Marty Casey), and I have the one INXS album that came out after the INXS one (the SWITCH album). 
    I saw both series and was gutted when they didn't do any more!

Was pissed off with the INXS one though because Marty Casey should have won. His acoustic performance of Mr. Brightside was epic. 

They were clearly in it to find someone who had a bit of a Hutchins-esque vocal. Marty Casey was good. But I think he was too 'quirky' (vocals-wise) to fit the band's style. It would've been really interesting to see what his vocal and influence would've done to the band though. 

But today, I have been mostly listening to... "The Heart of Everything" by Within Temptation. Paid 50c for it at Cash Converters. I'll never turn down a bargain. They're clearly talented. They've got a good enough singer. It's just that kinda bog-standard operatic/symphonic metal stuff. It's not amazingly brilliant or world-changing, mind-bending, but I can listen contently. The musicianship is there. It'll stay on the shelf.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16669
    edited August 2014
    MAGIC. There is clearly much to be avoided in the phrase 'Canadian boy band reggae fusion' and their hit single was in 2013 so I am only just catching up but I like it.
    more guitar in this than the studio versions ( although hit single with guitar solo shocker if you listen to Rude).

EDIT: google says rest of the world in 2013, last few weeks in the UK. Doh!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    Allan Holdsworth - The sixteen men of Tain

Brilliant!
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    wolsnah said:
    I've recently been enjoying the debut Babymetal album. A colleague at work sent me one of their youtube videos for a laugh, and found it strangely enticing. A nice blend of metal and j-pop with catchy choruses. No idea what they're singing about, but makes for a really nice change at the moment.

Here's the link I was sent... apologies if others of you find it annoyingly catchy

Sweet Jesus! This just came on my spotify discovery mix thingy. What a pile of sh!te. I am usually tolerant of most attempts at music but this is just absolute cr@p.

• BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    Currently listening to Ventolin by Aphex Twin.

Well ok, "subjecting myself" to Ventolin by Aphex Twin is more accurate.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1941
    Been listening to some Aphex Twin, Cylob and u-Ziq into the wee hours.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    The first Thin Lizzy album during the morning commute :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    Them crooked vultures on this mornings run.
    Shame that seems to be a "one-off", to date! :(
    Quality album. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Pretty much Team Rock is all I listen to these days. Unless my boss is in the office, then I'll stick something a bit more generic on. 
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Anyone else into Dark Ambient? - discovered the whole genre recently, and find it strangely compelling. Lots on Youtube if you do a search. Not a whole lot of guitar playing in there I admit... :D
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    Them crooked vultures on this mornings run.
    Octahedron;327430" said:
    Shame that seems to be a "one-off", to date! :(Quality album. 
    It is. Still gets lots of plays in my house too.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

From the "Ones what got away thread", I've listened to Phantom Blue's Born to Run and SkyScraper's Superstate in the last 2 days.

Well worth it.

(And some Queensryche whilst sorting the overnight deliveries)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1247
    edited August 2014
    Loving the new J Mascis LP, Tied To A Star, that's out next week. It's been streaming all week here at NME website. He's great in acoustic mode and also showing some eastern influences.
    ^:)^
    Link to my trading feedback
    David Lee Roth's "A Little Ain't Enough" album after the thread or posts about Jason Becker. What an album... easily better than any Hagar-era Van Halen albums!! 
    Alice In Chains' Facelift, as I just found out this morning that Mike Starr died of an Overdose way back in 2011 :( 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4101
    edited August 2014
    I get a call this morning from my friend that she's moving a long way away in the next month or so.  I feel very down about it.  End of a long chapter. 

This is the soundtrack in my head.  Not for the first time either. 

Inspiral Carpets, "This Is How It Feels"