What Burstbuckers Does Dave grohl Use?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• He didn't play on the first Nirvana album.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Kurt's tone was all about the gaffa tape he used on his jaguar which contrasted with the poly clear coat.

That special stuff with inbuilt mesh really pushed the mids.

Seriously though buy the Chibson and Gibson pick ups make sure you get the ones with the Gibson logo as they are substantially clearer. I would also seriously reconsider your choice of ebony fretboard. The benefits of rosewood tone over ebony are clearly documented and will add to to the authenticity of the tone you are looking to replicate. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3430
    edited July 2020
    Reviving this thread to ask if @kyle.tricarico ever found an answer to the original question.

This is from the spec of a DG335:
    "Grohl's taste is even expressed through the pickups which are Burstbucker 1 in the neck and Burstbucker 2 in the bridge. These pickups are within the original Patent Applied For humbucking spec, known for their ability to create clean and articulate distortion and responsible for helping to deliver the amazing tones that Grohl has become famous for while fronting the ever popular Foo Fighters."

And also, did you put burstbuckers into your Chibson DG335 . Were you happy with the result?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    I have Burstbucker 1 and 2 in my Gibson Midtown and love em clean or dirty .makes a very versatile guitar .For what its its worth I had a pair of Tonerider A2's in a  paulwonia strat body and they  came out very similar on most settings.
  • liamonliamon Frets: 105
    He didn't play on the first Nirvana album.
    I thought this was the joke. 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4258
    Great idea @Johnnyseven ! I'm getting it made from a professional dg335 replica site and making sure that everything is perfect, with the added ebony fretboard and binded f-holes. The guitar seems to be a very good replica from what I have seen in forums so hopefully it lives up to its name. Obviously I'm not expecting a Gibson sounding guitar but something close enough to it will do the job for me, just want to get the sound as good as possible, that's why I got an ebony fretboard and I want all electronics upgraded to Gibson standard @Sync . I'll most likely be making another forum once I have received the guitar to get opinions on what to do so be sure to check my page in a month or so to see how the body turned out :) going to do a forum kinda like what @guitargeek62 did on his DG335 or trini Lopez.

I’m curious to see how the build turned out. :)

I’ve still got mine six years later, and play it regularly. It’s been through a fair few pickup changes now, and is mid-way through another - not for any particular reason, mosty just because I fancied a change. Mine is just about due some fret work too now, as I’ve worn them down quite a bit by now, but there’s still a bit of life left so I should be able to get away with a level & dress. 

FWIW, I think Grohl (and the rest of the band) get sole great tones from their gear. The first Foo’s album is my favourite, and that was done solely with an AC30 and a RAT. Since then the gear has varied a hell of a lot, but as others have said it’s more about the attitude and feel, than chasing the exact rig used on a particular track/album. 
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4265
    Great idea @Johnnyseven ! I'm getting it made from a professional dg335 replica site and making sure that everything is perfect, with the added ebony fretboard and binded f-holes. The guitar seems to be a very good replica from what I have seen in forums so hopefully it lives up to its name. Obviously I'm not expecting a Gibson sounding guitar but something close enough to it will do the job for me, just want to get the sound as good as possible, that's why I got an ebony fretboard and I want all electronics upgraded to Gibson standard @Sync . I'll most likely be making another forum once I have received the guitar to get opinions on what to do so be sure to check my page in a month or so to see how the body turned out :) going to do a forum kinda like what @guitargeek62 did on his DG335 or trini Lopez.

I’m curious to see how the build turned out. :)

I’ve still got mine six years later, and play it regularly. It’s been through a fair few pickup changes now, and is mid-way through another - not for any particular reason, mosty just because I fancied a change. Mine is just about due some fret work too now, as I’ve worn them down quite a bit by now, but there’s still a bit of life left so I should be able to get away with a level & dress. 

FWIW, I think Grohl (and the rest of the band) get sole great tones from their gear. The first Foo’s album is my favourite, and that was done solely with an AC30 and a RAT. Since then the gear has varied a hell of a lot, but as others have said it’s more about the attitude and feel, than chasing the exact rig used on a particular track/album. 

There was a comment further up about an AC30 and a RAT and I thought it was someone taking the piss. That first album is great, easily my favourite of theirs. I remember when it came out, I was working one Saturday afternoon and had the radio on, there was a long interview with Dave Grohl and they played through the album. I can still remember how I felt hearing Wattershed for the first time!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8502
    Yeah the AC30 + Rat combo is awesome. Used to use it a lot live. AC30s have a fair amount of bottom despite their reputation, it's just not tight and doesn't project due to the open back cabs. But it's there, a Rat tightens it up nicely and if you're miking it up, it's a great thick tone. I believe some eras of Thrice also use the same combo.

As for Burstbuckers... I borrowed a BB3 from a mate 4 months back, and subsequently got a BB1 & 2 for my Explorer. I really rate them. They're not massively different in tone - the output's just balanced so 1&2 or 2&3 work together in neck and bridge respectively - so you can just extrapolate in either direction to work out what the tone difference is. 3 is just a bit hotter and has thicker mids than 2, but it's actually not night and day.