Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

70's cooking...

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23759
    tone1 said:
    What....no Angel Delight?  :)
    We had Angel Delight tonight, my kids are mad for it. Butterscotch too, my favourite. Good old ma'am used to crumble up a flake on top of it. 
    Butterscotch is the best, although peach was pretty good too.  We never had the flake, but sometimes we'd have Instant Whip with a glace cherry on the top, to copy the picture on the packet.

Sadly I can't eat it any more, too much sugar.  :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    p90fool said:
    It wasn't just the 70s, we fled Swansea Uplands Rugby Club about 15 years ago when we found out the after match meal was spam and spaghetti hoops.

That reminds me of school dinners - spam or corned beef with (cold) baked beans was a perennial.

That was also in Swansea, oddly enough, but it was actually in the 1970s.  Maybe the "chefs" went to Uplands Rugby Club after the school closed....

Which school was that?
    Emmanuel Grammar School, but the dinners were shipped over from Bishop Gore because we didn't have our own kitchen, so they were always cold.

Another posh one!!!  :-)

Wasn't Emmanuel the private school? Didn't know it closed.

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2675
    edited January 2017
    I grew up in the North East in the 70's and was raised by my grandparents but I didn't have to endure the horrors of those dishes! However it was very traditional cooking. Suet puddings (my favourite bacon and leek) with mash and veg was one I loved. We had stotties with ham and pease pudding for packed lunches and panacalty for dinner. Everything was home cooked and my nan would buy it daily from the butchers/greengrocers/fishmongers. Always fish on Fridays. Big Sunday roasts were the focus of the week as the family always got together, I still remember the smell of roast beef coming from houses on a Sunday afternoon before we were all called in for our dinners when our dads got back from the pub. Times that are long gone now, never to return. 
  • Philly_Q said:
    tone1 said:
    What....no Angel Delight?  :)
    We had Angel Delight tonight, my kids are mad for it. Butterscotch too, my favourite. Good old ma'am used to crumble up a flake on top of it. 
    Butterscotch is the best, although peach was pretty good too.  We never had the flake, but sometimes we'd have Instant Whip with a glace cherry on the top, to copy the picture on the packet.

Sadly I can't eat it any more, too much sugar.  :(

OMG... instant Whip was disgusting. Like something you'd have had during the war - when rationing meant that a slice of air-dried rat was viewed as a luxury. I sincerely hope Instant Whip isn't still on the market.

Angel Delight on the other hand.... awesome. Try making two bowls... 1 x butterscotch... 1 x banana... eat spoonfulls from alternate bowls. That... my friends... is living large!

It was a private school, but my god it really wasn't posh, the facilities were shite.  I nearly did myself a serious injury falling through a hole in the gym floor once.

It closed in the mid-'90s I think, presumably it's a housing estate or something now.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:

I nearly did myself a serious injury falling through a hole in the gym floor once.
    In a public school... I guess that would be classed as 'character building'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:

I nearly did myself a serious injury falling through a hole in the gym floor once.
    In a public school... I guess that would be classed as 'character building'.
    But this was private, not public!  There were a handful of boarders, but they were all missionaries' kids and presumably they got free board or reduced fees, I imagine missionaries are paid bugger all.
  • Strat_a_tat_tatStrat_a_tat_tat Frets: 2761
    edited January 2017

@Philly_Q....

CLosed in 94... now a bunch of houses  

(Apologies for the derail)

That's it!  :)   

I could name some of those teachers at 0:39 in the clip and my brothers were taught by Richard and Kristine Maton (she was Miss Jones at the time).
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6185
    Those halcyon days of prawn cocktail, steak & chips followed by trifle washed down with a bottle of Blue Nun (or, if you were feeling rock n roll, maybe a Mateus Rose, fave tipple of Rod the Mod).
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10431
    https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Rw4Rmf0HL._SX385_.jpg

If you were feeling really exotic you could chuck those little fried noodles on top.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Rw4Rmf0HL._SX385_.jpg

If you were feeling really exotic you could chuck those little fried noodles on top.

Classic stuff... but I think the one with the fried noodles was the Vesta Chow Mein (or was it the Chop Suey?)

There was also the Beef Italienne... and Prawn Curry... and Chicken Curry. YOu can tell that I had a varied diet... if Vesta made it - I ate it.

• Blimey... you can still buy them...

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=257550162

The instructions mention something called a microwave oven.  But it's the 1970s... and microwaves didn't exist (well not in most homes).... must be some mistake in the instructions.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11772
    tFB Trader
    People in the 1970s were tougher than they are today - they could eat this muck whilst sitting in a room with orange and brown wallpaper dressed in flairs , aide collar shirt, kipper tie and a tank top.
    There were only 3TV channels and paedos presenting pop shows.
    You only had power 3 or 4 days a week and had to make do with camping gaz lanterns or candles 
    ...but we were 'appy!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7362

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • The frankfurter crown looks awesome.

... as the old saying goes...

If the crown fits, wear it.

Truly, I think you'd be better off wearing it - rather than eating it.

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4954
    Vesta Beef Risotto sandwiches FTW!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12530
    Nitefly said:
    Vesta Beef Risotto sandwiches FTW!
    You sick person!!  :)