Screw upgrades

What's Hot
DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7716
I was looking at getting a brass block for my Ibanez edge, and while looking around the site also found that they sell a set which let's you replace all the screws in your strat with brass ones.
Fair enough if you want the brass look, but they're also claiming that this will enhance your tone. To be clear, that's complete bullshit, right?
It was the screws for the pickguard and tuners etc.

Its sort of put me off getting the brass block upgrade for the trem because their description of that could quite easily be exaggerated as well.
5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1649
    DefaultM said:
    I was looking at getting a brass block for my Ibanez edge, and while looking around the site also found that they sell a set which let's you replace all the screws in your strat with brass ones.
    Fair enough if you want the brass look, but they're also claiming that this will enhance your tone. To be clear, that's complete bullshit, right?
    It was the screws for the pickguard and tuners etc.

Its sort of put me off getting the brass block upgrade for the trem because their description of that could quite easily be exaggerated as well.

I think the Trem Block will make a difference to your tone but the screw thing is absolute crap. If the brass screws made a difference it would be indiscernible. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74484
    Not only total bullshit, but worse engineering - steel screws are much stronger and less likely to strip their threads, chew up their heads or break leaving a stump which is very difficult to get out… all of which brass screws do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    They've obviously got a boatload of brass screws they can't even give away.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sometimes I really despair at the sheer bollocks musical instrument retailers are prepared to spout. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    Mmmm gotta love me some brass screw tonez 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Is it Wudtone?

Brass made with pre-CBS materials, blended with 100% unicorn jizz.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    I replaced the crappy pot metal block on my Edge Pro with a big brass one. Definitely worth doing.

I'd be amazed if brass scratchplate screws make any tangible difference. I suppose theoretically they all add to the mass of your guitar, but practically I can't see how they affect things.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5852
    edited January 2017
    Jesus h Christmas,  that's the daftest thing I have heard that has not come out of Andy p wudtones  mouth,  there is no such thing as a screw upgrade,  unless you truly hate money and have no intelligence. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7716
  • Just saying my local hardware shop does brass screws individually you get served by a bloke in a brown coat and a paper bag to take them home in. Far more tone in them than those American ones
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30208
    edited January 2017
    Modern brass isn't the same as pre-70's brass, so it won't give you authentic vintage tones.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    DefaultM said:

They also do a brass trem claw. Will that do anything? 
    Waste even more money.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Haha thought it might. I could do with a new block because when I was changing strings last time a spring popped out and took a bit of the block with it.
    I just have the trem blocked anyway so I think I can afford to get a really thick one.
    The *block* does change the tone - that's a completely different thing. The mass and resonance of the block is directly attached to the strings and vibrates - more so if the bridge is floating, but still a bit even if it's blocked. So brass may well sound different/better compared to what's in there, especially if it's cheap alloy.

But applying that to other parts - even the claw, which is pretty effectively isolated from the bridge by the trem springs - is typical extension-marketing BS.

Unfortunately I can't have the bridge floating because it won't stay in tune. I think the knife edges might be wrecked. For some reason I thought that having it blocked would make the biggest difference.
    DefaultM said:
    Unfortunately I can't have the bridge floating because it won't stay in tune. I think the knife edges might be wrecked. For some reason I thought that having it blocked would make the biggest difference.
    It does change the tone, yes. The block material does as well though, especially between cheap alloy and a harder, denser metal like steel or brass. I haven't directly compared steel to brass but it wouldn't surprise me if there's a difference too.

When you say it won't stay in tune, do the strings stick in the same direction (sharp or flat) as the last bridge movement, or the opposite?

I think it was that they always went down in pitch, because I remember that I'd have to turn the fine tuners right in to the bridge and if I forgot to take my allen key to the gig I'd be out of luck.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Don't knock it 'till you've tried it. I've seen this a/b tested and it does make a difference. It was a Les Paul with steel screws vs a Tele with brass. Massive difference in tone, obviously because of the screws. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    DefaultM said:
    I think it was that they always went down in pitch, because I remember that I'd have to turn the fine tuners right in to the bridge and if I forgot to take my allen key to the gig I'd be out of luck.
    That does sound like worn knife edges sticking, yes. If they stick sharp after a down bend it's something at the nut end.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    MattFGBI said:
    Don't knock it 'till you've tried it. I've seen this a/b tested and it does make a difference. It was a Les Paul with steel screws vs a Tele with brass. Massive difference in tone, obviously because of the screws. 
    I thought it was nails not screws in a tele?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom