Screw upgrades

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 30208
    ICBM said:

The block material does as well though, especially between cheap alloy and a harder, denser metal like steel or brass. I haven't directly compared steel to brass but it wouldn't surprise me if there's a difference too.
    I'd be interested to find out if it's just a mass thing or if stiffness comes into it as well.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Really, is this serious, some half brain thinks pickguard screws effect the tone? What about guitars with no pickguard - less tone I suppose? Is it worth just screwing a handful into the body, do post 59 Strats with 11 pickgaurd screws have more tone than earlier ones with 8?

The only benefit of brass screws would be they don't corrode like steel ones, but as pointed they will more easier to damage or even shear.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74484
    Octafish said:

The only benefit of brass screws would be they don't corrode like steel ones
    They do too! Just differently. They go green instead of brown…

I suppose if they were made from Admiralty Brass they might not, although I suspect sweat might actually be more corrosive than seawater, so I'm not sure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

For technical metal I favour titanium screws.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1246
    edited January 2017 tFB Trader
    A quality Brass Block upgrade to a Strat or Floyd trem will make a vast difference to the tone & sustain, then fit it using stainless screws.
    We use lots of brass & Titanium upgrades from FU Tone, they work & it's not snake oil. It is however a personal choice whether you like or dislike the improvements they give.
    Brass screws for pickguards/tuners will make no difference whatsoever. A brass trem claw is marginal.
    ICBM said:
    Octafish said:

The only benefit of brass screws would be they don't corrode like steel ones
    They do too! Just differently. They go green instead of brown…

I suppose if they were made from Admiralty Brass they might not, although I suspect sweat might actually be more corrosive than seawater, so I'm not sure.
    Yes they do corride, notice I didn't say they don't corride at all, but that they don't corrode 'like steel ones'. Brass corrosion is much slower, rust eats into mild steel relatively quickly and brass can quickly be brought back to looking like new with some Brasso.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Sporky said:
    Could *that* be the definitive way to tighten up an already boosted JCM800 ?
    Octafish said:

Yes they do corride, notice I didn't say they don't corride at all, but that they don't corrode 'like steel ones'. Brass corrosion is much slower, rust eats into mild steel relatively quickly and brass can quickly be brought back to looking like new with some Brasso. 
    Sometimes :). Although if you've seen some guitars that made it through the late 1970s with brass hardware as 'working guitars' it's more debatable… if the corrosion is bad enough the metal starts to wear away nearly as badly as rusty steel does.

I've always thought that nasty soft green muck you get on brass hardware looks much worse than rust too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Alnico said:
    Sporky said:
    Could *that* be the definitive way to tighten up an already boosted JCM800 ?
    It might just.

Though I've heard that there are great advances in ceramics. Obvs for blues you'd want alnico screws though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

Sometimes :). Although if you've seen some guitars that made it through the late 1970s with brass hardware as 'working guitars' it's more debatable… if the corrosion is bad enough the metal starts to wear away nearly as badly as rusty steel does.
    Being serious for a mo (no, really), why not stainless steel screws? They're gaining traction in joinery circles because they don't react with timbers such as oak.
    Sporky said:

Being serious for a mo (no, really), why not stainless steel screws? They're gaining traction in joinery circles because they don't react with timbers such as oak.
    You can already get them.

https://www.callahamguitars.com/strat_accessories_catalog.htm

(Among others)

Sporky said:

I fitted stainless pickguard screws on a number of my gigging guitars a few years ago. Got fed up with the chromed mild steel ones rusting. Go mine here http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/screws_pickguardaftfender.htm

• WezVWezV Frets: 17499
    Stainless is an option at Allparts too.  
    Coolio - I had a suspicion someone would have beaten me to it. Ta for the links - all bookmarked.

Also I like the zingy tone they give. ;)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    Sporky said:

Also I like the zingy tone they give. ;)
    Careful now.. 
  • I'll put my two penn'orth in here. KGC are a well respected US manufacturer of (mostly) brass parts and their blocks have a good reputation on many forums, so I wouldn't have a concern buying one of their blocks. As for the screws improving tone, well they've obviously overstepped the mark a little there as it's clearly BS.

My black Highway Strat with maple neck has had both steel and brass blocks in it (from Kev Hurley on eBay). I purchased the steel one after enjoying the same mod in a red Highway Strat with a rosewood board. Now, the guitars are clearly not identical (fretboard's, pickups etc), but the steel block in the black/ maple Strat was a little shrill. Once swapped from steel to brass it had similar sustain but was a touch less bright, which solved that problem. I think brass parts definitely have their place, but perhaps with a bit more restraint than in the 70's and early 80's!

As for the trem claw, I (inevitably) showed a complete lack of restraint and went ahead and bought a machined brass one from a guy on eBay (MetalMan). I added it after swapping the blocks around, and didn't find the claw affected the tone at all. No disappointment there as I didn't expect it would have any tonal affect, but I do like the fact that it is a nicely engineered part, and the screw connection for the string earth makes swapping pickups a touch easier if that is your thing. And it looks nice too - yes, I am that shallow.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    I found that if I adjusted all my scratchplate screws so that the crosses in them were perfectly perpendicular to the grain, it aligned all the forces within the guitar and allowed the vibrations to transfer across the body unhindered. This, along with finding that brass on the bass side and stainless on the treble side, improved my tone massively - in fact, it made my Encore Coaster comparable to a pre-CBS Strat.

Some of our customers have reported that this upgrade is far better than the screws you can buy from Fender, Allparts etc. And of course, they are handmade right here in my garage... They only cost £169 for a set but I might be able to sort out a Fretboard discount if you let me bad mouth everyone else's products...

I've done a couple of videos that are totally undoctored in any way shape or form. The compressor was only switched on for the Encore to even out the inevitable spikes in tone you get when a guitar is so well set up. By the way, we sell set up tools... and they are so much better than everyone elses.

;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17499
    impmann said:
    I found that if I adjusted all my scratchplate screws so that the crosses in them were perfectly perpendicular to the grain, it aligned all the forces within the guitar and allowed the vibrations to transfer across the body unhindered. This, along with finding that brass on the bass side and stainless on the treble side, improved my tone massively - in fact, it made my Encore Coaster comparable to a pre-CBS Strat.

Some of our customers have reported that this upgrade is far better than the screws you can buy from Fender, Allparts etc. And of course, they are handmade right here in my garage... They only cost £169 for a set but I might be able to sort out a Fretboard discount if you let me bad mouth everyone else's products...

I've done a couple of videos that are totally undoctored in any way shape or form. The compressor was only switched on for the Encore to even out the inevitable spikes in tone you get when a guitar is so well set up. By the way, we sell set up tools... and they are so much better than everyone elses.

;-)
    i don't suppose you have any finishing products you can offer.  I am after something that looks like its been painted by a kid with a potato and chips as soon as you look at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Ordinary brass screws don't make the slightest difference to the sound. You need Class A Single Ended screws for amazing tone.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25103

Frankly I'm shocked that nobody has bothered to point out that slot headed screws sound better than Phillips ones. 

If you're going for true vintage tone they're abso-bloody-lutely essential.