Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

MIJ/CIJ vs. USA Fender

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    So,  on a basic level, if offered a used M/CIJ Strat and a used American Standard Strat for the same money which would you choose?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    ICBM said:
    It's in the wood - and possibly the truss rod, which has a surprising bearing on the tone in my opinion... and I'm really not joking. @melvynhiscock wrote something to the same effect in his book years ago, and I think he's right. The neck and the way it resonates is a key part of the tone of the guitar - more than the body, I think - and the truss rod is definitely a part of that. It's probably one of the reasons Rickenbackers sound so distinctive - because of their unique double rods.

The word "bow" is used a lot when trussrods are discussed and it's easy to see the analogy of an archery bow and a guitar - the neck is the bow and the strings are, well, the string. When you pull back and release a bow string, some of that energy is transferred to vibrations in the bow itself. So, give 6 strings a strum and the guitar will vibrate - not so much the big slab at the end, but the much thinner neck part. I can see how there might be something in this!
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2934
    Richardj said:
    So,  on a basic level, if offered a used M/CIJ Strat and a used American Standard Strat for the same money which would you choose?
    American all day from recent experience     
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74489
    edited January 2017
    Richardj said:
    Whichever one I could most easily sell and buy a Mexican Classic Series with the money from.

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28749
    ICBM said:
    Richardj said:
    Whichever one I could most easily sell and buy a Mexican Classic Series with the money from.

;)
    Personally, the MIJ, but that's cos I don't like the US Standards very much spec-wise. 

I've had 2 MIJ Fenders (paisley Tele and a Jazzmaster). Both are/were good guitars from stock, but also required hefty upgrades to wiring. For some reason the MIJs always have pickups which are absolutely pony.

In terms of outright value I agree it's getting a bit silly.  MIJs were better value 10-15 years ago when the Mexicans weren't so good but they've made massive strides in the last decade and are now the best value stuff Fender make by far.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Richardj said:
    What MIJ/CIJ are you talking about, there's a very wide range of models and spec. I'd rather have a MIJ JV or VSP than a US standard, as I don't like modern spec strats and the JV and VSP should be comparable guitars. If you're talknng about the bottom of the range basswood/ceramic pickup MIJ/CIJ, I'd rather have the US and then sell it