Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Walking Dead Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16960

Its the modern way of making TV.   The episode of the week style of story telling  is long gone, its all about story arcs that cross multiple episodes and series, usually with numerous cliffhangers that only ever get unsatisfactory resolutions the next week.

I was speaking to someone who had never watched Firefly the other week and he said he never would because it got cancelled and he didn't want to start a series with no resolution.   I pointed out that there are 14 episodes with 14 + fully resolved story lines and almost no cliffhangers between episodes.   It has bigger story arcs which were never resolved, but still gives more fullyresolved stories in those 14 episodes than most modern series do over multiple series

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ...and it's mostly resolved in Serenity anyway.
    I was going to say the problem surely with those series that are just one big arc is that they can only lose and not gain viewers as they progress. But, with DVD boxsets and digital and online catch up I guess that's not true.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16960
    ...and it's mostly resolved in Serenity anyway.
    I was going to say the problem surely with those series that are just one big arc is that they can only lose and not gain viewers as they progress. But, with DVD boxsets and digital and online catch up I guess that's not true.
    and a few comics wrapping up most of the rest
  • Well, that was a cracking episode. Very promising.

And we got to find out why Aaron is so well-groomed and stylishly-dressed. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    edited February 2015
    Much better episode last night! I was intrigued why the "12 foot thick walls" had a gate made of corrugated tin sheet though and why "nobody can hear your child when you're inside " when Rick could hear kids laughing at the gate. :)
  • I got a bit lost at points, not helped by a double glazing salesman phoning ( at 9:15 pm !). But at least it's moving on a bit now.
    Why no people in the photographs? Ooh.
    Who is trimming Rick's beard?
    Ooh.
    Why is Judith so tubby when they are starving?
    Ooh.
    Why does nobody look where they are going when they are driving?
    Ooh.
    Seriously, if they were more careful drivers half the plot lines wouldn't have happened.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2015
    Torn between a Lol and a Wisdom there @EricTheWeary.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Enjoyable, and given previous safe places, there's sure to be some bad goings on.

My biggest bug bear with the show is that in a world devoid of humans (almost) and covered in the mentally limited zombies, survival should be easy for the group.

When they were at the prison their days should have been spent adding more fences inside or outside of the existing ones, zombies can't climb so any lofted area with no access by stairs would be 100% safe, so replacing them with ladders would be a good idea. For all the machine guns used, given the zombies weak spot, slow speed and attraction to noise would a long pointy stick not be the best weapon.

So the answer is live in trees, get a long stick :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    I really, REALLY hope they follow the same dramatic story arcs as the comics for the upcoming episodes.

Also, it's creepy how much Aaron in the TV show looks like Aaron in the comics. Spitting fucking image, like he's completely made of CGI. 
  • Why does nobody look where they are going when they are driving?
    Ooh.
    Seriously, if they were more careful drivers half the plot lines wouldn't have happened.

Aaron warned them to take a particular road because they'd cleared it, but Rick insisted on going another way because he was afraid of an ambush. So, no surprise to me that the road they took was heaving with walkers.

I also like how different groups name the zombies. Walkers, Biters (The Governor's town) and now Roamers. But nobody calls them zombies!

• Abraham certainly crashed previously and I think there have been previous ones.
    I really liked the little nod to the early days when they changed the battery over in the RV last night.Although I'm fairly sure it's the wrong type of battery and wouldn't work, but nice nod anyway. :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    Just warming this up... :bz
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    I've already seen it. It's good :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9777
    Well, nothing much happened there.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16380
    Slowwww...so slowwww...
    Loving Carol in it, her interview was a rare bit of light relief.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1209
    I hope it won't get dull, like the 'farm' series. It seems to get a bit boring when they stay in one place for a while.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    I haven't read the comics but it feels like it's building to something sinister with a new twist.

or the could just stay there awhile and have a nice relaxing time but that would be a dull plot.
    It has far more sinister undertones than the Farmer Rick episodes, I get the feeling it won't be too long before it all goes pear shaped. I'm also intrigued by what Enid is up to.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited March 2015
    boogieman;542912" said:
    It has far more sinister undertones than the Farmer Rick episodes, I get the feeling it won't be too long before it all goes pear shaped. I'm also intrigued by what Enid is up to.
    Agree, I got worried we settling down for another couple of months of farming until Rick said if the others can't survive the they will just take the town :D

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    I'm only a handful of issues behind meeting Aaron in the comics. Must catch up :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires