anyone on here shoot?

What's Hot

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8797
    Had a cracking Nerf battle with my nephews on Friday.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    I'm a member of a gun club and have the following:

A .357 magnum long-barreled revolver.

A .22 semi-automatic rifle.

And a couple more.

I have a slot for a .38/.357 rifle on my FAC and may be getting a Winchester repeater, when I stop spending all of my money on guitars!

I use them for target shooting.

1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CyberjunkieCyberjunkie Frets: 3
    edited April 2018
    Haven't visited the range at the farm for a while, but it's all about field targets for me.
    I never shoot game as I just can't bring myself to do it.

I use a Daystate Airwolf .177 CDT (PCP)

https://i.imgur.com/1DbHgJW.jpg

....along with a Weihrauch HW97K MK2 .22 (springer).
    Still have the old Webley Tempest .22 and an original 66 .177

Tempted to go FAC and get an Edgun.

(Can't get image to upload!)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowla said:

And a couple more.

I have a slot for a .38/.357 rifle on my FAC and may be getting a Winchester repeater, when I stop spending all of my money on guitars!

What's the rules/ regulations/ laws about owning stuff like that in the UK @prowla? I thought handguns had effectively been banned after Hungerford?
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    sted said:
    As in sporting, not people or drugs!

always thought it very elitist but I'm amazed how very normal people do it and and how many disciplines there are. 
    Sticking with clays for now though, not sure about the whole game scene just yet.
    A farmer a few fields over is breeding pheasants and deer to shoot, but he's getting quite annoyed by the residents nicking the pheasants to raise as pets or released into the open countryside. The deer are escape artists so he's doing his nut about that too, much to the pleasure of the residents.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4156
    Used to do target shooting with my Webley Tempest air pistol. Think my dad has the gun now. I don't know if those things are still legal. 

These days with three kids I have become a crack shot with a Nerf gun. Found some cheap bullets on Amazon recently that are so much more accurate than official ones, they're so good they actually make aiming worthwhile. There are also some third party guns that are much  better than the Nerf ones. I bought one and have cause a household arms race with my boys.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Some great looking guns here - and I'm not a gun person.

I'm no fan of any killing of living creatures for fun or entertainment. But if they are either eaten or a pest that needs to be got rid of then that's a different matter.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I'm right handed but I can only shoot left handed. Wrong dominant eye I guess?
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    *DLM checks URL*

:confounded:

*DLM rechecks URL*
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4942
    prowla said:

And a couple more.

What's the rules/ regulations/ laws about owning stuff like that in the UK @prowla? I thought handguns had effectively been banned after Hungerford?
    The law is that guns have to be at least 2ft long, so the long barrel plus the stock (you can see the start of it in the photo) add up to that; it is officially a carbine, not a handgun.

As for the .22, it is a semi-automatic, meaning that you have to pull the trigger for every shot. Funnily enough, bump-stocks (which effectively automate the pulling of the trigger) are not illegal in the UK, but I've never seen one.

As for having an FAC, you have to have two referees, be member of a club, not have a criminal record, be interviewed by the police in person, and renew every 5 years.

The weapons have to be stored in an approved locked safe, separate from ammunition (which must be in its own safe) and you can take them to & from designated ranges (ie. not just have them in your car). Your FAC (Firearms Certificate, ie. licence) states which guns you can own and how much ammunition you can purchase and keep.

All in all, I think the system is a sensible one. I've had CRB certificates (my kids Scouts) and security clearance (for work) before, and the FAC is more stringent.

I've also got one of these (not mine in the picture) - the barrel is the whole length and the apparent silencer is really just a sleeve around it. Elsewhere in the world they are available without the long barrel and the appendage off the back.

My other gun, and the best one, actually, is an old single-shot .22 BSA Martini model (as featured in the movie Zulu).

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12424
    My dad had shotguns and used to go on pheasant shoots and clays. I had a go of the clays but as a lily livered veggie I never shot birds which my dad grudgingly accepted. He got a call one day from the land owner and was asked if he’d take a couple of visitors on a shoot, he didn’t say who they were. the visitors turned out to be Eric Cantona and his dad, this was in the 90s when he played for Man U. My dad said his “arse fell out” when Eric and pops pulled up to the place. Said they were very nice but a bit French.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    I shoot Rats - anyone want to see the dead caucuses??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Interesting election strategy.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    Still doing lessons but hoping to get my shotgun cert soon, not looking for a FAC as it seems to be a lot more hassle.
    already looking at guns and comparing barrel lengths, bores, wood finish.......almost exactly like guitar shopping! Lol!
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3344
    edited April 2018
    Had air rifles growing up, shot a lot in the air cadets (L98’s  & SA80’s and such) as well as fly a few planes, in fact I had my RAF marksman badge. 
    Shot a few time son holiday in Vegas , automatics can be fun but I don’t think I’d like to own any guns. 
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1847
    Christ it's like the NRA in here.

used to shoot a lot as a kid growing up on exmoor. Used to be in the clay club at uni then "pest control" on a few fish farms I worked on as a younger man and that was the last time I pulled a trigger in anger I guess
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8754
    57Deluxe said:
    Ditto squirrels.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    axisus said:
    I'm right handed but I can only shoot left handed. Wrong dominant eye I guess?
    Easy enough to determine if this is the case.  Simply extend your left arm and point at an object 10 metres away from you.  Then without moving your arm check which eye is master by closing the right eye and looking to see if your finger is pointing at what you pointed at.  Repeat using your right arm.

I would 'naturally' shoot from the left shoulder but my right eye is master so I had to learn to shoot from the right shoulder.  Shotguns for me not rifles.  You don't 'aim' a shotgun, you point it.  Hence the importance of determining which eye is master.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    A few years ago I gave up shooting, sold my guns and did not renew my gun licenses.

I have always had and used shotguns.  Game, wildfowl, vermin and sporting clays.  I shot game with a pair (not matched) of London built side by side guns.  Wildfowl and 'rough' shooting with an old Browning automatic, I had several barrels for this gun but mainly used the 28" barrel with no rib.  Clay shooting was with my Miroku over and under, this had multichokes fitted in the factory.

The only shooting I had to do, but did not like, was crop protection for local farmers.  Two guns were usually required as the pigeons get suicidal when they get the taste for the crop.  Serious bags are inevitable in those situations, the guns could and did get hot!  Hence the need for two.  As I said, a hateful activity but necessary.

Apart from the big bags of pigeons, we ate all the game and fowl shot.  The remarkable thing is that a failure to shoot game results in the serious depletion of the numbers of game in the locality.  Fairly hard shooting results in increasing numbers of birds.  I speak of wild pheasants, not had reared ones.  The formal game shoots are always hand reared birds, at those you need the services of a loader (and a second gun).

I enjoyed clay target shooting but the standard is so high that one missed target takes you completely out of the picture.  Pressure.  I was never good enough to shoot for Ireland but I did compete at National Championships but to no avail.  I made a lot of friends as a result of clay shooting.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Shot my load this morning.