Junior style guitar, what to buy, Take 2

What's Hot

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3023
    I had one of the SE One’s first time round. Absolute monster of a guitar, that slot in the guitar Arsenal was filled by a few Jr type guitars afterwards but It wasn’t until I got my JXG DC Jr at nearly 4 times the price that I felt I’d actually bettered it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    edited February 2020
    I really want a LP Junior tribute DC. But then I saw the new 58 Custom Shops. And I want one of those as well. 

Is there a middle ground one P90 type guitar? Say for £1000-1500?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3430
    edited February 2020
    LPManic said:
    I really want a LP Junior tribute. But then I saw the new 58 Custom Shops. And I want one of those as well. 

Er...Gibson les paul junior
    NelsonP said:
    LPManic said:
    I really want a LP Junior tribute. But then I saw the new 58 Custom Shops. And I want one of those as well. 

Er...Gibson les paul junior
    Sorry I meant a DC
  • Which part of Ireland you in @Creed_Clicks ?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14793
    edited February 2020
    Last option ... some kind of ... tele ... body with a P90 in the bridge
    The good people at Squier are ahead of you on this one.

Behold, the Vintage Modified Telecaster Custom II. Stock layout is two overwound Duncan Designed P90s through a Gibson LP style control layout. Everything is through the scratchplate. Hence, it would be easy to modify to single pickup and two pots. Either purchase a blank Tele Deluxe scratchplate or do like endorsee Deryck Whibley and tape over the redundant holes.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Which part of Ireland you in @Creed_Clicks ?
    Limerick (but kind of half between Spain and there currently)
  • Last option ... some kind of ... tele ... body with a P90 in the bridge
    The good people at Squier are ahead of you on this one.

Behold, the Vintage Modified Telecaster Custom II. Stock layout is two overwound Duncan Designed P90s through a Gibson LP style control layout. Everything is through the scratchplate. Hence, it would be easy to modify to single pickup and two pots. Either purchase a blank Tele Deluxe scratchplate or do like endorsee Deryck Whibley and tape over the redundant holes.
    Oh yes. Big blank scratch plate might look weird but that is an interesting option 
    Are you in Andalucía? Have you bought stuff from these guys before? 
  • @LPManic yep in Granada now , I’ve been to this shop a few times before for strings 
  • @Creed_Clicks that blows out the option of any suggestions I might have. LOL. I'm up north.
  • Last option, and one I might try and avoid is to find some kind of a custom tele partscaster body with a P90 in the bridge, or P90 route and have a t style bolt on junior. Also would be appealing in a way
    I'm sure @TTony has built a few like that. 
    My main guitar is an Esquire partscaster with an OilCity Alligator 90 in the bridge. It scratches the itch quite nicely. It's on the right. 

https://i.imgur.com/vKVZJui.jpg

Though I still borrow my daughter's guitar when I REALLY want to make a statement. 

https://i.imgur.com/DP63APW.jpg
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28035
    Last option, and one I might try and avoid is to find some kind of a custom tele partscaster body with a P90 in the bridge, or P90 route and have a t style bolt on junior. Also would be appealing in a way
    I'm sure @TTony has built a few like that. 
    Well, since you called @stimpsonslostson ....

Here are the triplets

This one is definitely special

:D

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @pintspiller do you mean shops up north ? 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 998
    edited February 2020
    @Creed_Clicks  ;There's only Preloved in Lisburn and Bairds in Belfast with a decent selection of used stuff
  • carlos said:
    Don't get a Gibson 2015 until you've played one. I had one, it sounded great & smelled AMAZING
    What the fuck?
    I know! I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I am will be along soon to enlighten us as to why, but when you opened the case there was a beautiful, almost chocolatey aroma. 

@Creed_Clicks have you looked at the new 2020 "inspired by Gibson" Epiphone range? 
    Les Paul Jr, vintage 50s neck profile too!:
    https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/191216352612008--epiphone-les-paul-junior-vintage-sunburst

It's not a jr, rather a Special (with 2 p90s) but I love the look of this. 
    https://www.gak.co.uk/cdn-cgi/image/fit=scale-down,width=1500,height=1500/https://58eca9fdf76150b92bfa-3586c28d09a33a8c605ed79290ca82aa.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.com/epiphone-sg-special-p-90-faded-pelham-blue-1013642.jpg
    More than a little bit in love with that Epi SG special. 

Anyone played one? 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Here's one I just picked up yesterday - a 1994 Epi Les Paul Special Double Cutaway

Very pleased as it was a bit of a bargain and now that it's had a fretboard oiling, a new set of strings and a bit of a set-up, I have to say it's very good indeed. I'll be putting it through it's paces properly this afternoon.

Mind I have to say, as a mostly-Fender sort of chap, that headstock/ neck join looks like a disaster waiting to happen.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3430
    edited March 2020
    A couple of years ago you had a choice between a custom shop at ££££, a sc Gibson LP jr at around £1200, a Gordon Smith or a Vintage v130.

Now epiphone have some nice sc offerings at around £300, the TV yellow special in particular (£1000 less than the gibson).

Gibson dc tributes can be had for £5-700 which is still an excellent deal. 

And if you can't get over 'that scratchplate' then the gibson sc jr and specials look great.

And then there are the SG jrs and specials.

It's good to see that gibson have finally responded to the demand for these guitars with a pretty great range at all price points.

I don't think you can go to far wrong. I'd probably budget for a good setup on all of them anyway.

Not sure on sc vs dc feel as I've not played a sc. But the dc feels great to me. Basic, balls out rock guitar, that also can do decent cleans. Very restricted on tonal options and it's pretty raw and basic in terms of build, but that's all part of the charm.

I also quite like the fact that its a little more unique and doesn't have the same instant artist association of the sc models. And the 'issues' that folks often mention (scratchplate, maple neck, front mounted jacks etc) mean that they can be bought very cheaply indeed.