Does anyone actually play PRS?

What's Hot

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    edited May 2020
    Have never owned a PRS, but the next guitar I get will probably be a PRS SE. Was tempted by the S2 Range for the satin finish but I think the value for money definitely looks like it comes from the SE line-up. Also with the S2 I noticed that 85/15 pick ups are the same as the SE range.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3853
    Why is PRS so divisive? 
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1284
    Early Mira in sparkly lilac with a few dings here. Mind you I'm not sure Miras count...

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3853
    A Mira without birds is about the best one they've ever designed. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    Attempting a serious answer:
    Regardless of the guitar brand you can argue that there are distinct "styles" of guitar which tie into the vibe / image of the performer:
    - I'm sophisticated, classy;  I play a blingy instrument - see the early rock and rollers, the Chicago bluesmen moving into the 60s, more recently the jazz fusion performers
    - I'm keeping it real and am paying my respects to the legends before me - I'm going for the CS relic look.

Obviously there are exceptions to the above but I think there's a certain truth here.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052

The truth is, regardless of object, I think when something is new, I take care of it more, but once I get that first ding, I care less.

It’s can be the wheels on my car, the first kerb ding is the worst, all of them after that is just another one. It will all be fixed at the same time when I refurb it anyway. Or it can be a baking tray, the first time I use it I scrub it like new, but after a few years they all look the same and I make no effort to scrub it to shiny, just clean it so it’s not sticky. But what the heck are all those black stuff?!

All my guitars that looks new, Taylor or PRS I keep in the case, I also keep my Gibson in the case because of the headstock. Both my Strat and Tele I leave out because they are relic, the ding is already there. The by product of that is the guitars in cases will stay looking new longer, and because they are in cases they also get played less which goes hand in hand of them staying new longer.

It’s gotten so bad that I haven’t played my Custom 24 in about 5 years! So if I sell it, it certainly will look new and immaculate.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3860
    If you deliberately ding your guitars, you're a bit of a bell end.  I can say that with authority because I've done it, very badly, many years ago.  I'm a reformed bell end (actually, I'm not reformed). 

I own one PRS (that's up for sale) and it's in excellent condition, with a few small marks, but it has definitely been played.  I've other guitars which cost more and have some minor marks but I do try and protect them - and why would I not?  I've gigged regularly and kept guitars in excellent condition and I'm heavy-handed as a player and clumsy.

Does anybody here drive an expensive car and not give a shit if they scrape up against other cars/walls/people/whatever?  I wonder if car owners have forums where they mock Porsche drivers (dentists too, etc.) for them not being treated like a tractor. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12723
    I love my PRS guitars. The CE22 has lots of honest play wear but equally doesn’t look like it’s been attacked by sweaty bloke just wearing a sandpaper wristband and a studded codpiece.
    My 305 has some minor scratches etc as it’s been looked after and played in equal amounts.

PRS are an easy target. Frankly I find the R8 and R9 Gibson’s far more bling-y and vulgar but that’s just me.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1284
    Loobs said:
    Y’Know, I’m kind of biased (because that’s what mine is) but I think you might actually be right about that.

Although Eldest Son’s SC245 with Suhr Aldrich pickups is also kind of sweet...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14784
    tFB Trader
    When PRS first came on the scene and distributed in the UK via Chandler Guitars - Almost everyone I knew who purchased one was an actual gigging muso - The 'exotic dentist tag' came much later - But initially all PRS Guitars were played - I recall the likes of Tony Hicks, Geoff Whitehorn, Phil Hillbourne all playing them - Remember this was in the late 80's and early 90's and Gibson + Fender were certainly not having their finest hour 

From around 1995 I've known a full time pro muso who has worked in the theatres inc west end etc and has played mainly a PRS during this time (now retired) - He will wear frets out in 18 months or so - Turn it into a relic within 18/24 months - Play live 6 days a week and often twice on a Sat - And the reason he picked a PRS was simply that it did the job and did not let him down - No electrical buzzing - No trem issues - Remember he is a hired hand and employed to do a job - Any negative issues about his gear will reflect on his ability to work in such an environment - The guitar is simply a tool of the trade for him
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 544
    Mine Custom 24 SE gets played and gigged.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    edited May 2020
    Loobs said:
    Vela with dots ftw! I've only played one briefly but I really liked it - instantly comfortable and a great neck. Want a proper go on one through an amp as not sure if I'd get on with the sound. Then again I've seen a few demos on YouTube with people playing heavier stuff so I'm sure it can work for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    My Singlecut has an Evertune and Fishman Fluences, plenty of dings, it’s a great instrument
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23635
    TTBZ said:
    Loobs said:
    Vela with dots ftw! I've only played one briefly but I really liked it - instantly comfortable and a great neck. Want a proper go on one through an amp as not sure if I'd get on with the sound. Then again I've seen a few demos on YouTube with people playing heavier stuff so I'm sure it can work for me.
    Brett Campbell from Pallbearer plays a Vela, with the stock pickups.  It has dings too...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I gigged a PRS in my last band. It suited the music and sounded great. At the moment I’m using something else. But in a one guitar band I think they are unbeatable. 
  • C'mon @Gassage - losin' yer touch pal.

Bye!

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4262
    I play mine a lot. Particularly for recording: it's the only hardtail I own at the moment so it's the only one where you can't hear the trem springs resonating.
    I always think of mine as being different from most PRS though: matt black, no bling (although it does have birds)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2957
    edited May 2020
    Philly_Q said:
    TTBZ said:
    Loobs said:
    Brett Campbell from Pallbearer plays a Vela, with the stock pickups.  It has dings too...
    Didn't know that but that's good to know! I'm more into heavier saturated tones than the fuzzier doomy stuff but I guess put it through the right boost and amp and it'll sound heavy. I'm just a bit put off by the "sounds jangly like a Gretsch" comparisons I read a lot because I hate that sort of thing!
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5221
    I've got a moderately bashed up Starla X. My favourite ding is the one just behind the tailpiece from where the soundman set up my mic stand but didn't tighten it properly so an SM58 swung down and made a little 5p sized mic grille shaped dent in the top. 

Not selling anyway. It's a lovely loud, light, comfortable and well made guitar that was my main gigging instrument for years with never so much as a string break, never mind anything you could rightly call an "issue".

My sons love it too, not that either of them really play. My younger son told me today that the only thing it was lacking was the "note wobbler" my G&L "Strat" has.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• I have a battered 2008 DGT. They changed from nitro to V12 later on to appease the usual PRS players/collectors. Shame.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom