Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Yngwie...

What's Hot
NerineNerine Frets: 2521
I imagine this video has already been posted, but I stumbled upon it last night:

https://youtu.be/3FsBB2unvqI

It’s horrendous.

The 9th comment down provides you with a “set list” of what’s going down at this gig. 
It’s rather amusing. 

My other point though, is that it’s quite sad to see someone who used to be successful/scarily good at guitar manage to spiral into whatever you call this awful concatenation of events. 

I’ve never been a fan, personally. But I almost feel sorry for him. It smacks of desperation. 

You can’t hear the band over the guitar. He can no longer play properly. It’s nearly an hour and a half of literal mindless out of time noodling. It’s cringe-inducing throughout. The stage setup is laughable and it looks like it’s in a car park somewhere. 

It’s embarrassing. 

Apologies if you have already seen it. 
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Saved to watch later..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    It makes me think of an aspect of the guitar world that's alien to me - where it's practically like a sport and the audience enjoy being impressed by how fast someone is able to play or how difficult a piece they can play rather than just getting pleasure from the end result.

Always felt that was more like the sport world than the art world.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    He's never taken the 'less is more' concept to heart.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7250
    I saw him 20 years ago and it was horrific. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    It's too  late to do anything about the music but I'm sure the worrying leg spasms could be treated if caught early enough.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15277
    Somebody once loaned me a G3 tour DVD. The Yng took the stage, wearing a long leather overcoat, doing high kicks and looking for all the world like Nadia, the Eurovision Song Contest transvestite. I recall nothing positive about his musical performance.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 691
    That whole wall of Marshalls thing is pretty cringe at this point.
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    edited November 2020
    Yikes.

Not that I'm into shredding, but Black Star is a really great piece of guitar instrumental. Very melodic, obviously scarily difficult/fast at points etc. But it has a sense of purpose to it. So I've always respected Malmsteen for that.

But this is just sad.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
    Maybe a much more powerful smoke machine would've gone some way to muffling the noise.
  • jhumberjhumber Frets: 251
    Kind of amusing how the drummer, bassist and keys player are crammed into an area no bigger than your average pub-stage, while the wall of Marshalls is visible from space :)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've watched a little bit. It's on a camcorder near the front so the sound is going to be overwhelmed by the Marshalls. I think you'd always expect him to be the loudest thing in a mix anyway. 
    Other than that it just sounded like Yngwie. I saw him live a few years ago and in the moment it was quite good fun, a bit like going to the circus could be fun but that doesn't mean you want to watch clowns every night. 
    If he falls apart a bit later on during that performance( and all credit to anyone who can sit through an entire badly recorded Yngwie gig) well we all have bad days. 

One of my guitar heroes was Bernie Torme. I saw him live a few times and loved every second of it but pretty much every live performance I've found on YouTube has been a bit shit so I find these things don't mean much. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    It is a form of historical reenactment, performed by a blowhard.

I've always thought of him as the Donald Trump of the guitar playing world.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4418
    edited November 2020
    thegummy said:
    It makes me think of an aspect of the guitar world that's alien to me - where it's practically like a sport and the audience enjoy being impressed by how fast someone is able to play or how difficult a piece they can play rather than just getting pleasure from the end result.

Always felt that was more like the sport world than the art world.
    I saw Dream Theater a few years ago. They're not my thing at all really, but my brother bought me a ticket. One thing you can say about them is that John Petrucci is a beast of a guitarist... I couldn't hear his solos though; because every time he played one, everyone started cheering confounded 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7716
    I bought the Live in Leningrad CD when I was about 14 and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I thought it was absolutely incredible. Next I wanted to see him play so I got the G3 dvd. What a contrast. Fat bloke comes out in tight leather trousers and plays over the top of everyone else.
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 779
    It took about 1 and a half minutes of listening before the sound plateaued and my eyes glazed over. 

The audience need a medal for sticking it out. Beer no doubt helps.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 954
    Nerine said:
    I imagine this video has already been posted, but I stumbled upon it last night:

https://youtu.be/3FsBB2unvqI

It’s horrendous.

The 9th comment down provides you with a “set list” of what’s going down at this gig. 
    It’s rather amusing. 

My other point though, is that it’s quite sad to see someone who used to be successful/scarily good at guitar manage to spiral into whatever you call this awful concatenation of events. 

I’ve never been a fan, personally. But I almost feel sorry for him. It smacks of desperation. 

You can’t hear the band over the guitar. He can no longer play properly. It’s nearly an hour and a half of literal mindless out of time noodling. It’s cringe-inducing throughout. The stage setup is laughable and it looks like it’s in a car park somewhere. 

It’s embarrassing. 

Apologies if you have already seen it. 
    Those comments are awesome...... thanks
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25111

I've watched that video before - not all of it, obviously, I'm not insane - and it really is quite something.  When you think of all the micro-managed but talented musicians he's hired and fired over the years, and here he is with, effectively, a pub band.  But still with the huge wall of fake Marshalls.

I must admit, for all the horrors of the actual music, I'm quite impressed that he has a go at singing nowadays.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Just watched some of it and it's particularly bad.
    I didn't realise Arpeggios From Hell was an actual piece he considered to be a song and would play live. I thought it was just a sort of practice piece he put together for an instructional DVD.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25568
    I'm wondering if he's got hearing problems how.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd