PHOTO COMPETITION — COMMENTS THREAD

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Tier 4 lockdown where I live so it's hard to get out. Went out to shoot some pics over Christmas and upset the God-prodding pure-titties even though I had a mask.

Posted a pic I shot at the end of October at a local lake. Took my grandson out for some fresh air to feed the ducks - he'd never seen so many .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • For the reflections theme... Is November 2018 too long ago?
    Maximum volume yields maximum results
  • SUNBATHER said:
    For the reflections theme... Is November 2018 too long ago?
    Nah... there was a rule at one point that it had to be within the last year, but it's more of a guideline: I'm certainly not going to be inspecting the EXIF data of every photograph to check for rules breaches :)

Obviously though, now that you've alerted me to it, if you get the most points I'll have to disqualify you ;)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had some great ideas in mind for this month; between the river Crouch, the estuary and the marshes there are some great spots for reflections. Doesn't look like I'm going to be getting to any of them for a while though, so I've gone with a shot from a couple of months ago. I think it classifies as a reflection...

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I had some great ideas in mind for this month; between the river Crouch, the estuary and the marshes there are some great spots for reflections. Doesn't look like I'm going to be getting to any of them for a while though, so I've gone with a shot from a couple of months ago. I think it classifies as a reflection...

I think it's great ... very creative and I'd class it as a reflection so it meets the brief.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4704
    Ineligible for the comp but this sprang to mind from New Zealand in 2004. 

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ineligible for the comp but this sprang to mind from New Zealand in 2004. 

Lovely shot! I'd clone out that branch on the top right and dehaze slightly but that's a very nicely framed picture! 
  • Ineligible for the comp but this sprang to mind from New Zealand in 2004. 

‘Ineligible for the comp’ - thank goodness for that !!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have approached this month's a little bit more playfully. Slightly deceptive, the picture is not quite as it would seem at first glance...
  • I've just submitted my "reflections" entry. One of my favourite shots I've taken, and I know my editing skills have come on a long way since this, but I don't usually like to endlessly redo my old stuff, because you just end up endlessly knob-twiddling. Its an affliction I have with guitar tone and effects so its nice to draw a line under stuff with photography!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SUNBATHER said:
    I've just submitted my "reflections" entry. One of my favourite shots I've taken, and I know my editing skills have come on a long way since this, but I don't usually like to endlessly redo my old stuff, because you just end up endlessly knob-twiddling. Its an affliction I have with guitar tone and effects so its nice to draw a line under stuff with photography!

I know what you mean. I have a friend who takes photos that I absolutely love, but he spends hours tweaking them sometimes. When I first got a decent camera his advice to me was always keep the RAW files because I might want to go back to them in a few years and reprocess my shots. I have kept all the RAW files, but I can't imagine that I'll ever bother with going back and doing that...

• *** REMINDER: LAST DAY OF ENTRY TOMORROW ***

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Just managed to squeeze in a late entry. Another one that's far from my preferred subject matter but having seen little of the outside world in the last few months except my morning creekside dog walk the photo opportunities are, shall we say, limited :D

Terrific entries this month chaps. Voting is going to be hard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I found it really hard to vote this month. Once I got to my top 3 I had to do some screengrabs so that I could see them side by side to decide... *so* little in it though!

@Jonathangus where was your photo taken? It looks familiar, I'm wondering it it's somewhere that I've been before...

• I found it really hard to vote this month. Once I got to my top 3 I had to do some screengrabs so that I could see them side by side to decide... *so* little in it though!

@Jonathangus where was your photo taken? It looks familiar, I'm wondering it it's somewhere that I've been before...
    Trinity College, Dublin.  There's also this, which is quite cool:

(Full disclosure: they're from September 2019, so slightly outside the year window.)

I nearly went with this, which is recent, but I thought the other one fitted the brief better.

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Trinity College, Dublin.  There's also this, which is quite cool:

(Full disclosure: they're from September 2019, so slightly outside the year window.)

I nearly went with this, which is recent, but I thought the other one fitted the brief better.

Ah, I've not been there then... unless I happened to see it in passing while I was over there. That lake photo is great too :)

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    @SUNBATHER thanks for your comment regarding the framing of my swan pic. You are absolutely right. Unfortunately having used my camera very little since Feb 2020 that was the one and only ‘reflection’ shot I had that was within the one year period. It was that or nothing. On reflection :) nothing might have been the better decision :D 
  • *** LAST DAY OF VOTING TODAY ***

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    @SUNBATHER thanks for the comment.  I kinda liked the air of mystery and I did play with a bit of localised lightening but tbh I couldn’t do it well enough to not look naff 
  • This was an intriguing challenge. I am pretty much shielding at present so had to think about a shot I could take at home.

Definitely had Man Ray/Maholy Nagy in mind when I saw the ‘dead tree’ image in my kitchen window. Given the brief, I was also interested that my entire shot is a reflection save the plant in the foreground (which certainly confused Mrs 001) - so two tonal reflections from a single sheet of glass.

No way able to compete with the superb entries this month though - but it gets me working !!