PHOTO COMPETITION — COMMENTS THREAD

What's Hot

Comments

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 3010
    Firstly congrats to @menamestom, superb picture as were the rest. I will never be able to create pics like that but will drop a few in every now and then just for the fun of it.

@skullfunkerry and @Jimbro66, well the mystery of the 'dead; trees is cleared up below.

Wait for it...........

It was summer when I took the pic. The trees are dead, therefore no leaves on them.  
    I think! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had some great ideas for this month, but I haven't had a chance to get out and actually take them yet... and it's looking less and less likely that I will now, so I've posted a picture that I took way back in January :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    I had some great ideas for this month, but I haven't had a chance to get out and actually take them yet... and it's looking less and less likely that I will now, so I've posted a picture that I took way back in January :)
    I like that Kerry. Was it taken on your side of the estuary?
  • Jimbro66 said:
    I had some great ideas for this month, but I haven't had a chance to get out and actually take them yet... and it's looking less and less likely that I will now, so I've posted a picture that I took way back in January :)
    I like that Kerry. Was it taken on your side of the estuary?

Thanks dude! No, it's from Walton-on-the-Naze, actually

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• cj73 said:
    SUNBATHER said:
    I've just submitted my entry. Never entered a photo competition before!
    Well it's  damn good first time then!  

Seconded ! Reminds me of the Martin Hannett quote ‘faster but slower’.

I missed last month’s competition, though ironically my submission this month was taken on the day I went awol. 

A different Regents Park to my prior visits.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12380
    I can’t submit anything this time, all my camera gear is stowed away as we’re in the middle of a house move. Liking some of this month’s entries though, it’s going to be a hard choice as always. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogieman said:
    I can’t submit anything this time, all my camera gear is stowed away as we’re in the middle of a house move. Liking some of this month’s entries though, it’s going to be a hard choice as always. 

That's a shame dude. You can submit an older photo if you've got anything suitable...

• Just a reminder folks: last day of entries today...

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Firstly, apologies I entered but missed the vote last month. I've been away from the forum on family business - sadly a Covid death. When will it end?

Anyway, I was out yesterday shopping with the wife in town and snapped a decaying factory from the rooftop of a car park. The place has been empty for three decades or more and the car park is now overgrown with trees and grass. The roof has caved in and trees are growing inside. It's a haven for local wildlife but the site is locked so you can't get in .. it's currently used in films and TV. A Mission Impossible film had scenes set (gunfire frightened the locals)there and East Enders has been there twice.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4176
    edited December 2020
    Fretwired said:
    Firstly, apologies I entered but missed the vote last month. I've been away from the forum on family business - sadly a Covid death. When will it end?

Anyway, I was out yesterday shopping with the wife in town and snapped a decaying factory from the rooftop of a car park. The place has been empty for three decades or more and the car park is now overgrown with trees and grass. The roof has caved in and trees are growing inside. It's a haven for local wildlife but the site is locked so you can't get in .. it's currently used in films and TV. A Mission Impossible film had scenes set (gunfire frightened the locals)there and East Enders has been there twice.

No need to apologise for not voting, it's not a condition of entry

So sorry to hear about your loss. What a year this has been, we're not going to forget it in a hurry. Hopefully the vaccine does represent a light at the end of the tunnel so that next year we can get back to some sort of new normality.

Cracking photo, btw! I've always fancied doing a bit of urban exploration around a place like that, but I've never had the nerve...

• Morning all. Voting is open in the competition thread now :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Missed the entry unfortunately this month, I should have picked a subject I already had a photo for!  Some great pics though so it was all worthwhile.

I had an attempt plus found a fairly recent potentially eligible photo, nothing I was really happy with so for prosperity here are my attempts.  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    I had a great idea for this but sadly,  no time to find what I had in mind. Good effort everyone, as always!
    Budgie said:
    I had a great idea for this but sadly,  no time to find what I had in mind. Good effort everyone, as always!

Yes, this is the problem for everyone at the moment with our lives being so restricted. To be honest I think the comp did well to raise the number of entries that it did.

I'm finding that these comps take me way outside my photographic comfort zone and make me attempt subjects that I'd not normally even consider  -  which has got to be a good thing.

Thanks again to @skullfunkerry for keeping it all going and Happy Christmas to all :)
  • Just a reminder - I know we've all got better things to do, but it's the last day of voting for this month's competition today :)

• Winner has just been announced in the competition thread :)

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 3010
    Strewth, how did that happen?!

Not a great picture, but was pretty much made for the theme of the competition. There's a tree inside the house with branches outside the window searching for the sunlight. Nature definitely taking back what is her's. 

I got lost with my daughter at the foot of Caer Caradoc, Church Stretton, Shrops and stumbled across a few of these old ruins. Slate mining I think, but may be wrong. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Happy new year everyone. First competion thread of 2021 is up now :)

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/197540/photo-competition-16-january-2021?new=1

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Shrews said:
    Strewth, how did that happen?!

Not a great picture, but was pretty much made for the theme of the competition. There's a tree inside the house with branches outside the window searching for the sunlight. Nature definitely taking back what is her's. 

I got lost with my daughter at the foot of Caer Caradoc, Church Stretton, Shrops and stumbled across a few of these old ruins. Slate mining I think, but may be wrong. 

Great pic Shrews ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Congratulations on your win @Shrews which was well deserved. As for this month's subject -  hmmm, something to reflect on ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom