The Snyder Cut

What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27074
edited March 2021 in Off Topic
Anyone seen it yet?

No spoilers, obviously, but...this was a vastly better film than the theatre cut. For a start, it actually makes sense.

Some of the CGI is still pretty ropey, of course, because DC still don't have that figured out compared with Marvel, but given that there's an actual coherent plot and the characters matter this time round, the dodgy CGI moments don't really matter.

It's quite slow, but all the backstory that was missing in the previous films is there - and it's clear that it's all that backstory that's actually the real setup for the DCEU.

Shame we're never going to see that version of the DCEU. On the strength of this, I think it would've been pretty great, and certainly better than the next phase of the MCU is going to be.
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23536

A lot of people seem to despise Zack Snyder and also DC films generally, so it felt like the film was doomed from the start even if it had been amazing.

Having seen the Whedon version I thought it was actually OK, although I preferred what I assumed to be the Snyder bits.  Henry Cavill's CG'd top lip turned the whole thing into a bit of a joke.

I am interested to see this new (old?) cut, though.  Where's it available?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24829
    Sky Movies in the UK I believe.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    ???? What film?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12049
    Justice League
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12049
    Just seen it too, I really like it.  It’s coherent with good performances, all characters given time to breath, even Steppenwolf.  The cyborg especially has the most development vs the 2017 version. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12318
    I actually sort of admired with Batman vs Superman that Snyder had made the film he set out to make, OK, it kind of sucked, but it tried so hard to do something it sort of failed at it was hard not to admire.

The released Justice League I thought was OK, not atrocious, but clearly a bit of a mess, and I'm genuinely interested to see the Snyder cut.

I enjoyed all the recent DC films, so while no rivals for Marvel, I want to see WW84 very much, and the Snyder cut.

...cos I'm a nerd ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    edited March 2021
    I enjoyed all the recent DC films, so while no rivals for Marvel, I want to see WW84 very much, and the Snyder cut.

...cos I'm a nerd

I think they've all been OK, and I would watch them anyway, even if they were total rubbish...

The one I liked least was Aquaman, which oddly enough seemed to do relatively well with both the critics and the box office.  I found it all a bit dim-witted and childish.

@fretmeister Thanks, I don't have Sky so I may have to wait a while.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27074
    I actually sort of admired with Batman vs Superman that Snyder had made the film he set out to make, OK, it kind of sucked, but it tried so hard to do something it sort of failed at it was hard not to admire.

The released Justice League I thought was OK, not atrocious, but clearly a bit of a mess, and I'm genuinely interested to see the Snyder cut.

...cos I'm a nerd ;)
    I desperately wanted DC to make a good franchise. While everybody else in the world seemed to love the original Wonder Woman, I honestly thought it was a pretty crap film. I mean...it was OK-ish, but didn't even get close to doing justice to the character, and the CGI boss fight at the end was utterly laughable (particularly the resolution). I turned WW84 off after 20 minutes, it was just terrible. Not only that, but it makes zero sense in the context of Justice League (either version).

BvS was actually quite good in my opinion. The dumb-as-dirt Martha Moment aside, of course. And, when you see the new cut of Justice League (right to the end!), most of the eye-roll moments from BvS make a lot more sense.

The trouble is, we'll never get to see the rest of the world they built, because a) they've lost Cavill, and you can't have a DC universe without Superman, and b) they seem to want to concentrate on glib comedy properties like Shazam instead. Given that they've now decided to hand JJ Abrams a Superman reboot fresh from wrecking the Star Wars and Star Trek film franchises...don't expect anything worth watching to come out of DC in at least the next five years. 

It's really quite astonishing how hard DC are working to ruin their own great prospects. Quite impressive, really.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:

...cos I'm a nerd

I think they've all been OK, and I would watch them anyway, even if they were total rubbish...

The one I liked least was Aquaman, which oddly enough seemed to do relatively well with both the critics and the box office.  I found it all a bit dim-witted and childish.

@fretmeister Thanks, I don't have Sky so I may have to wait a while.

I believe NowTV have a 7 day free trial for Sky Movies at the moment - just to get more customers in for this film.

Just cancel it on day 6!

Last time I signed up for a free trial - Shudder - they charged me straight away anyway!  I'm always a bit wary of these things and how difficult it may be to cancel them.

NowTV is very good. Easy to cancel stuff.

I add and delete my passes all the time.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I'll see if I have a spare 4 hours at the weekend... :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16927
    The best DC film of modern times is Teen Titans Go To the Movies.  Prove me wrong.

I will try to watch JL this weekend.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17869
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    The best DC film of modern times is Teen Titans Go To the Movies.  Prove me wrong.

I will try to watch JL this weekend.  

True story.

The scene with the fake toilet reduced my whole family to rolling around on the floor laughing.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2036
    I’m pretty sure this’ll appear on prime and others for rental, if it hasn’t already. I’ve watched the first hour and will probably have to do it in chunks, but it’s already better than the original one - although that’s fairly faint praise!
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4173
    Watched 90 minutes before dinner. Rather enjoying it so far. I like that the plot and characters have room to breath. 

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7424
    Have I even seen the original? I honestly couldn't tell you.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7699
    I noticed it on sky today - how come it is in 4:3? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4173
    TimmyO said:
    I noticed it on sky today - how come it is in 4:3? 

For IMAX, but Snyder decided to do the whole film that way. To be fair he does use the extra height quite a bit in his framing. 

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 527
    tFB Trader
    Anyone seen it yet?

No spoilers, obviously, but...this was a vastly better film than the theatre cut. For a start, it actually makes sense.

Some of the CGI is still pretty ropey, of course, because DC still don't have that figured out compared with Marvel, but given that there's an actual coherent plot and the characters matter this time round, the dodgy CGI moments don't really matter.

It's quite slow, but all the backstory that was missing in the previous films is there - and it's clear that it's all that backstory that's actually the real setup for the DCEU.

Shame we're never going to see that version of the DCEU. On the strength of this, I think it would've been pretty great, and certainly better than the next phase of the MCU is going to be.

Pretty much agree with all this. CGI is still iffy (floating head Cyborg was distracting) but nowhere near as bad as mush-mouth Supes from the Whedon Cut.

It is very much a Snyder film, with all the good and bad that entails. Some of the dialogue tries to go for emotional beats (We have no fear! - ugh) but ends up cringe-inducing. He still loves slo-mo a bit too much.
    The MMH reveal cheapens the emotion of the preceding scene imo. (The MMH final quote - more cringe)
    The epilogue is the story I want told - everything leading up to that point and how it resolves. Such a shame we won't get that.

HATE THE ASPECT RATIO!
    I get why Snyder likes it, but I;m not watching o na 100ft iMax screen.

Amber Heard's accent is perplexing. (As was her casting - not a fan)

All in all if a 3hr version of this was released it would have been a banger. There's easily 60 mins that could be cut without harming the story (some of the battle/fights are overly long, some of the moody stuff could be trimmed etc).

This is cannon to me, down to the Atleanteans' communication method (Aquaman just made no sense at all).
    Would love to see this continued but from all reports this is it for this branch of the DCEU.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom