Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Thinking about a handmade acoustic...

What's Hot

Comments

• carlos said:
    Thanks for tagging me @Jez6345789 but I definitely am not the right person to talk about high end luthier acoustics. You must have confused me with someone else, I'm afraid.
    He might have meant @Castro ;

echoing @ToneControl make sure to try some of the Irish instruments too (Avalon, McIlroy, Lowden)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Ha it was late I should of said @Castro sorry.
  • If you like the Atkin sound, that's a good place to start. I like the sound of Atkin guitars but their necks don't suit me, so it depends on how fussy you are about these things. Again it depends on how much you have to spend! You will get much better value buying a British made guitar if you are buying new, not so different if second hand.
    Finally, I would recommend a visit to TFOA in the Netherlands, I promise you won't be disappointed. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4226
    If you like the "American sound" which I'm interpreting as meaning the classic pre-war Martin sound when it comes to OMs, then I actually think you'd be best served by any of the established small-shop makers who spend all their time chasing that down. Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, Collings,  Pre War Guitar Co and Atkin etc. Even the Martin Custom Shop. I'm not convinced that if what you want is a guitar in that vein that you'll get something better from getting a single luthier-built one of the same design. What you can get is an individual luthier's subjective  "take" on that design and sound and that may or may not be to your liking. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited January 2022
    ^^ this    -   forgot about Santa Cruz,  played a couple way back when PMT was Sound Control,  lovely guitars  very "playable"

If you're specifically looking for "American"  sound/looks  I wouldn't recommend Brook. tho they do (or did), do an "OM" style model

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453
    If you like the Atkin sound, that's a good place to start. I like the sound of Atkin guitars but their necks don't suit me, so it depends on how fussy you are about these things. Again it depends on how much you have to spend! You will get much better value buying a British made guitar if you are buying new, not so different if second hand.
    Finally, I would recommend a visit to TFOA in the Netherlands, I promise you won't be disappointed. 

I talked to Alister at the Guitar Show a couple of years back.  From what he said, they would be willing to do something custom on neck profile/width.

They seem to have taken on more staff now, and gone a bit more into a small factory setup, so I don't know if that's still the case.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 747
    This advice a bit left field, but why are you making the jump that having a bit of money to spend means a custom built or luthier built instrument?

The only thing you would gain is that the instrument would be absolutely unique to you and built to your requirements. But what happens if you go through all that and its not your ideal guitar, or you don't like the tone that much? This must happen and I suppose the brave customer would leave the instrument (and their deposit!) with the maker to sell as stock.

If I had an amount of money which had no calls on it apart from guitar purchase, I think I would go to a big store, more probably several, until I hit on exactly the right guitar in terms of aesthetics, tone and playabilty. The guitar would hit me and I'd feel that's the one and I'd buy it. I would fall in love with it straight away and forever. It would probably be a (2nd hand) Brook or a Collings or a Lowden or a Martin new.

(If you do want an instrument which is spec'd by you and built for you alone then all this advice is rubbish and you should ignore it!)

Hope you find what you want. Happy looking!
  • I'd recommend calling Avalon 
    These are entirely hand made with no CNC input. My experience of commissioning a guitar from them was v.good.

I believe they produce an 'Americana' series for those specifically looking for that type of sound.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2806
    I’ve only used this chap as a tech for repairs and set ups etc but his builds do look pretty good.  Anyway, he’s extremely nice and helpful so I’m sure he’d be a good port of call for a chat and initial information.  He’s based in Abergavenny so not too far from Brum.

https://www.richardmeyrickguitars.co.uk/

edited January 2022
    OK -  from someone who's had a couple of "bespoke" custom guitars made - a small snippet of advice.

If you are intending to get a truly "custom" handmade build  - you need to know EXACTLY what spec you want -  most importantly neck shape and width, body size,  less so wood types etc   otherwise you may find that things aren't as you really want/expect and left with a rather expensive white elephant.

I'll say it again - make a real effort to go out and play as many as you can,  if not to find "the guitar"  find "the specs"  that are good for you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd recommend calling Avalon 
    These are entirely hand made with no CNC input. My experience of commissioning a guitar from them was v.good.

I believe they produce an 'Americana' series for those specifically looking for that type of sound.
    I'd recommend calling Avalon 

I'm not trying to be controversial, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of CNC where appropriate. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

I'm not trying to be controversial, but there's nothing wrong with a bit of CNC where appropriate. 
    quite agree,  better a bit of ultra accurate CNC than a "cheap" hand made by someone who needs to go to specsavers !
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5467
    edited January 2022
    bertie said:

quite agree,  better a bit of ultra accurate CNC than a "cheap" hand made by someone who needs to go to specsavers !

Quite so. Compare the rather large number of owners who need to reset (hand made) Martin necks against the very small number who need to reset (CNC) Taylors. Or examine the obvious strength and beautiful precision of a (CNC) Cole Clark headstock joint, or the perfection of the (CNC) fit of the shell inlays on the fingerboards of even a lot of cheap and slightly nasty instruments, or the unmistakable richness and responsiveness of a good hand-made instrument's soundboard.

Quality is quality, and there are many different ways to achieve it. I'm firmly in favour of all of them. 

(Hey, it's Sunday morning here, so I can preach a sermon if I want to.:))

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

• quite agree,  better a bit of ultra accurate CNC than a "cheap" hand made by someone who needs to go to specsavers !
    I wouldn't disagree with this, but the workmanship on my Avalon is superb and machine-like in it's consistency. 

I think I got quite a good deal by sticking with their standard spec, rather than insisting on any special custom options(apart from 12 strings). But this logic might apply more to workshops than single luthiers.

I would totally second the advice, that whatever the OP decides, s/he should really try out an example of the makers work, before making a commitment.

However good Atkin, Avalon, Brooks etc are: tone and feel are very personal things that probably can't be gleaned from a YouTube video. So it may time consuming, but ordering on reputation/recommendation alone could lead to disappointment
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3706

However good Atkin, Avalon, Brooks etc are: tone and feel are very personal things that probably can't be gleaned from a YouTube video. So it may time consuming, but ordering on reputation/recommendation alone could lead to disappointment
    Totally agree unless you live impracticality far away from the builder, if you’re planning to spend that sort of money, the cost of a visit is a small percentage of what you’ll pay for the guitar. 

When I went to Brook my biggest fear was that I wouldn’t like the feel or sound. I was wrong on both counts….
    drofluf said:

When I went to Brook my biggest fear was
    remembering how to get back out of those lanes and the releif as they get wider, and wider  

on the way as you turn into every new lane, its like ever diminishing arteries 
  • bertie said:  
    on the way as you turn into every new lane, its like ever diminishing arteries 
    You know you’re there once your wing mirrors touch both sides ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for all the advice guys:
    1. I mean small builder, not necessarily 100% handmade...maybe its pure vanity, and I do have a few specific requirements, but I like the idea of something that isn't just your standard Martin...something at least slightly unique. Maybe its a bit daft and I should just shush and play a martin Om35, but its fun to explore.
    2. Brook is sadly off the table because I cannot drive and cannot get anywhere near their shop on public transport lol. Atkin is super far away but maybe somewhere more local to Birmingham carries them.

I have heard good things about Santa Cruz but jesus wept they are big money due to importation lol.
    Other advice mentioned in this thread is appreciated.

• TanninTannin Frets: 5467
    Can you not take a taxi? Compared to what you'd spend on even a cheap guitar, a taxi fare is a fleabite. 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    edited January 2022
    @bermudianbrit ; If you're paying, you're entitled to ask for what you want from a luthier, nothing "Daft" about that :)@Tannin; taxis? Oh I could tell you some stories about taxi drivers. My local town only has one Town Hall but I passed it four times in one journey on the back seat of a taxi