Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Need a new gig bag

What's Hot
I know this topic has cropped up a few times, but I need some recommendations. After only 2 years of using a Ritter RGS7-E bag its already starting to rip apart and one of the zip pull rings is broken. I mainly use it to transport my guitars from house to garage, in the car and occasionally to rehearsal rooms.

I'm looking for a more sturdy, weatherproof long-lasting gig bag. I see that Mono seem to get a lot of good reviews, and they do 2, the sleeve type one and the "Vertigo". I carry all sorts of body shape guitars like a Strat and a Les Paul, so if I went for a sleeve shape would a LP fit? Or would I have to get the Vertigo one to ensure I can put that and a Strat in without needing a separate case?

Any other brands would be welcomed.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Rocky1991Rocky1991 Frets: 314
    I wouldn't rule out a PRS SE one. They have a great reputation 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Mono are overpriced in my eyes. I’ve had 2 zips break on previous owned mono products. There is no need to spend that much. The TGI extreme bags are excellent and are just as durable and offer similar protection:

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/210422368434025--tgi-extreme-electric-guitar-gigbag?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8Y6LlKC39QIVtWLmCh1Hrwz5EAQYAiABEgLchvD_BwE
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1953
    Another one here for the PRS SE gig bag. They're great. They also have a hidden metal hanger to put them in the wardbrobe. Good protection and a decent size pocket in the front. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • +1 on the PRS SE bag
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72425
    Mono are overpriced in my eyes. I’ve had 2 zips break on previous owned mono products. There is no need to spend that much.
    Having owned three I’d have to agree. They’re fantastic when new and give great protection, but they suffer wear and tear very quickly for something that costs that much. I wouldn’t buy another at the new price. There are now others which are as (or very nearly) as good and cost a lot less - or Fusion which aren’t far off the same price but seem more durable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9687
    Fusion are great but on the pricey side.
    I’m currently using TGI Extreme gig bags which are around the £50 mark, have a whole load of pretty thick padding, and a decent-sized ‘extras’ pocket. Not sure how waterproof they are but certainly showerproof. For the short distance from the house to the car, or from th car to pub I’m not particularly worried.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27113
    I really like my Monos but I don't gig so they don't get much abuse. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • +1 for the TGI Extreme, I have one and it's excellent. I also have a Protection Racket 7050 which I feel is slightly better for anything with an angles headstock, as it has rigid sides and foam pads that you can move around, including one under the neck.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• ICBM said:
    Mono are overpriced in my eyes. I’ve had 2 zips break on previous owned mono products. There is no need to spend that much.
    Having owned three I’d have to agree. They’re fantastic when new and give great protection, but they suffer wear and tear very quickly for something that costs that much. I wouldn’t buy another at the new price. There are now others which are as (or very nearly) as good and cost a lot less - or Fusion which aren’t far off the same price but seem more durable.
    Hmm seeing as I don’t gig much (or anymore currently) maybe mine will last a bit longer? I mean my Ritter one has started tearing already after 2 years and I’ve not played a gig within that time! It’s got to fit a Strat and a LP guitar though.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    edited January 2022

I really like my Monos but I don't gig so they don't get much abuse. 
    Is it the sleeve or vertigo one?
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    edited January 2022

HAL9000 said:
    I’m currently using TGI Extreme gig bags which are around the £50 mark, have a whole load of pretty thick padding, and a decent-sized ‘extras’ pocket. Not sure how waterproof they are but certainly showerproof. For the short distance from the house to the car, or from th car to pub I’m not particularly worried.
    TGI one looks alright for £50. As mentioned it needs to fit both my Strat and Les Paul guitars as I go between both at any given time.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5053
    I’ve got a Mono Sleeve I’d sell, if you’re not put off by the comments above! Mine’s in mint condition and as sturdy as a sturdy thing imho.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3580
    edited January 2022
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a sleeve which is fine for a Strat or Tele, but far too tight for a Gibson.  For that, I use the full Mono gig bag (this one, not the Vertigo) which has the all-important space round the headstock.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• HAL9000 said:
    TGI one looks alright for £50. As mentioned it needs to fit both my Strat and Les Paul guitars as I go between both at any given time.
    The TGI will fit both guitars.
  • I’ve got a Mono Sleeve I’d sell, if you’re not put off by the comments above! Mine’s in mint condition and as sturdy as a sturdy thing imho.
    Well the only thing that puts me off potentially is it might not fit a Les Paul inside!

• I have a sleeve which is fine for a Strat or Tele, but far too tight for a Gibson.  For that, I use the full Mono gig bag (this one, not the Vertigo) which has the all-important space round the headstock.
    looks like a different model I.e not the sleeve or vertigo, worth a look...
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9687
    +1 for the TGI Extreme, I have one and it's excellent. I also have a Protection Racket 7050 which I feel is slightly better for anything with an angles headstock, as it has rigid sides and foam pads that you can move around, including one under the neck.
    Good point. None of my guitars has as angled headstock. If I owned a Gibson I’d probably invest in something a bit more rigid.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it