What's Hot
poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
Quote liked some of his stuff!.

was a fairly decent actor as well.

RIP big fella
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1596
    Just heard Meatloaf has died. Proper legend. Time to go and watch his Whistle Test performance.  
  • Sad news. Proper entertainer. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72384
    RIP 

Hearing Bat Out Of Hell for the first time is a moment I can still remember after 45 years - it’s still one of my favourite albums, and one of the greatest ever made in my opinion.

I think I’ll be playing it loud today.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27059
    Oh man that sucks. A genuine legend. RIP
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12351
    Bat out of Hell is an almost perfect album, it was a favourite in our house as a kid, my mums copy, women seemed to love it as much as blokes did. Watched the making of it just a few weeks ago. RIP. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    That's really sad news. 

I agree with Jonnyburgo's comment that BOOH was an almost perfect album. 

I probably haven't listened to it for 5 years but I bet I can sing every word. It may sound cliche but it was the soundtrack to some of the best times of my life. 

When I've heard him interviewed he also came across as a genuinly funny and humble man. I liked him a lot. 

Rip Meat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    edited January 2022
     Bat Out of Hell is one of those things that seems to have always been there and so taken for granted. But I watched the classic album show about it a few years ago and the genius of it clicked. I guess the problem was then that it overshadowed the subsequent works of Meat Loaf and Steinman but Loaf himself seemed to be an interesting and quite sensitive man in interviews and some classic small roles in film and TV. And, obviously, at his peak some amazing vocal performances. 
    RIP. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18796
    A larger than life character in every sense. Bat out of Hell should never have worked at the beginning of punk, but it was & still is an awesome recording.
    RIP.
  • HippoPeteHippoPete Frets: 125
    I'll be having a watch of that classic OGWT performance of Paradise By The Dashboard Light and I think the onion fairly might be sitting with me. Mourning the excitement of my teenage years as much as the man himself.
    Sleep well big man.
    They don't want your name, they just want your number.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1939
    It's a real shame. He had many setbacks in life both before and after his singing career and hasn't been well for a long time I don't think. I think he lost his ability to sing too. BOOH was immense and still one of the best rock albums out there. Saw him interviewed a few times over the years and his humour and general laid back good nature shone through. RIP big fella. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    Quite surprised how gutted I feel about this. my parents played BOOH so much i can't remember a time when I couldn't sing every word.

What a proper legend - thanks for the great music which everyone loved.
  • Bat out of Hell is overblown, pompous, and utterly ridiculous.  All reasons why I'll be cranking it later.

RIP, Meat Loaf. 
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Sad news, he was a legend, a true rock icon. Such a lovely guy as well. I never massively bought into his music style, I only purchased Bat out of hell about 5 years ago, but I always loved his presence in the charts, on TV, in magazines etc. I think that his stage name was genius! it was funny, and yet it was him owning the fact that he had a generous build. He would not have had the same success if he stuck with his real name - Marvin Lee Aday.

RIP Meatloaf, thanks for everything!

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    The ultimate cheese Rock which you can't help but like. And that part in right club...... Fantastic, RIP
  • Rest in peace.  A real talent 
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    edited January 2022
    https://www.loudersound.com/amp/features/meat-loaf-a-flying-wheelchair-and-the-greatest-story-ever-told

In the late 80s, he was booked to do a tour of rural Ireland. You can imagine what a comedown that was! Status Quo did the same tour a year later. Meat Loaf got back to arenas a few years later. I remember folk saying "didn't he play the local community hall a few years back?".
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11765
    edited January 2022
    RIP indeed.  One of my favourite ML anecdotes is recounted in Mark Ellen's autobiography 'Rock Stars Stole My Life'.  Ridiculous and poignant in equal measure, it probably sums up the setbacks and sadness in Meat's life - and possibly a parable for the less savoury aspect of the music industry during that time.
  • Well that sucks..back when I was a kid both bat out of hell albums got played until the tapes wore out then I copied them from a friend so i could keep listening.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    It’s Meat Loaf. Two words. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom