Westbury Standard

What's Hot
Bereft of projects to keep me from hearing my own guitar playing... I saw this on ebay and fancied the challenge. 

It's a '79-80 Matsumoku built Westbury Standard. 
The seller, a house clearance outfit... informed me that this had been hung on a wall and used as a mirror for the last 10 years  :o 
Apparently the seller had removed a mirror-like covering from the body front and headstock face revealing this shitshow underneath, a gloopy soft acrylic substance over the original black finish. 

Aside from a few gouges here and there, the top of the headstock being sanded flat and no hardware, it seems pretty solid, I've owned a few of these over the years and still have a really nice (stripped) one as one of my favourite players and the solidity is not a surprise. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2441
    So I'll be undertaking this resto as and when I get time, like last Saturday when I had a couple of hours spare...
    I first brought out the thinners to see if I could remove the silver to inspect the finish underneath... it wasn't long before it became apparent this would be a messy and fruitless operation... big chunks of the original black polyester are missing... so out comes the heat gun and scraper...

ugh
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I opted to try and keep the headstock face intact, so a wet sand session ensued... 

part of the metallic W logo has been gouged out so either another visit to Rothko&Frost or see if my old inkjet will let me print onto white waterslide decal paper.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15275
    Under that gloop, there should be a solid, if simple, electric guitar. I am surprised that you avoided a bidding war against HarrySeven. 

What's occurrin' at the end of the fingerboard? Is that a photographic aberration or is the end slanted like some Rickenbackers? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    edited July 2022
    Under that gloop, there should be a solid, if simple, electric guitar. I am surprised that you avoided a bidding war against HarrySeven. 

What's occurrin' at the end of the fingerboard? Is that a photographic aberration or is the end slanted like some Rickenbackers? 
    It was a buy-it-now price, so no bidding war... 
    I did however get it for almost half his original asking price 

Headstock end of the fingerboard? just my less-than-sublime photography skills I'm afraid 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1822
    I will follow along with this, as love these guitars from a time when everything was not S/T/ or LP derivative and it seemed a more hopeful time for guitar design. 
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    Cool.   Nice simple guitar gasping to be brought back to life.  - bet it will be great when youre done.  
    I will follow along with this, as love these guitars from a time when everything was not S/T/ or LP derivative and it seemed a more hopeful time for guitar design. 
    I do like a strat, but I find these much more interesting 
    PeteC said:
    Cool.   Nice simple guitar gasping to be brought back to life.  - bet it will be great when youre done.  
    I hope so  :#
    I think I'll be going for a gloss black 2k rattle can finish with cream pickups and plastics as it was when factory fresh. 
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1738
    I'm an avowed Westbury fan - but not sure even I would have been seduced by something as far gone as that. Fair dues Sarge. I think the black standard is one of the nicest colours in them, and for some strange reason one that never seemed to have sold well in the UK.

The heat gun is the business, no messing :)

(If you're stuck for cream pickups btw, I have an unused set of the Donlis high-output ones that the guys on the US forums rave about as a budget alternative to the DiMarzios. The poles have the little hex socket heads to seal the look. Might even have a set of surrounds, all acquired as part of an abandoned plan to change the black pups on my standard back to proper cream :) )
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KevSKevS Frets: 628
    I have just gave my Westbury  Standard to my Younger Cousin as I totally dwarf the thing...
    Mine sustained forever..Great Wee Guitars..I have a nice pile of guitars,
    so keeping it would have been greed..
    Those Old Dimarzios sound brilliant though..
    Seriously great guitar...

Supposed to be Mahogany,,but  to me doesn't look like it..
    Mine is battered,,but Dark SG Red...Love the German Carve in the design..

A Real Tone Monster,,but I just looked silly playing it..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    AK99 said:
    I'm an avowed Westbury fan - but not sure even I would have been seduced by something as far gone as that. Fair dues Sarge. I think the black standard is one of the nicest colours in them, and for some strange reason one that never seemed to have sold well in the UK.

The heat gun is the business, no messing :)

(If you're stuck for cream pickups btw, I have an unused set of the Donlis high-output ones that the guys on the US forums rave about as a budget alternative to the DiMarzios. The poles have the little hex socket heads to seal the look. Might even have a set of surrounds, all acquired as part of an abandoned plan to change the black pups on my standard back to proper cream :) )
    Thanks fella, I love a challenge  ;)
    I do have a set of Kawai/Mighty Mite cream for this, they're nice and bright but Super Distortions they are not.
    What are the pole spacing on the Donlis? I'm trying to keep within the original specs for this and the original Dimarzios were 49mm which isn't easy to find in replacements. 
    KevS said:
    I have just gave my Westbury  Standard to my Younger Cousin as I totally dwarf the thing...

This is mahogany pancake with a veneer on front and back.
    most of the stripped black Standards I've seen have been either butcher block or 2 piece with the veneer
    KevS said:

this is my keeper Standard, was trans wine red but chipped and in need of attention, so the heat gun and a bottle of Tru Oil were introduced  ;) 
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A bit further on today, 99% of the finish is off, revealing the butcher block mahogany under the veneers.

All fairly solid stuff and a lot of the original sealer is still on, I'll be leaving as much of that on as I can. 

I will be wanting to add the little peak back into the top of the headstock though, wether to graft a piece of mahogany on (I do have some nice pieces from an old dresser I salvaged) 
    or shape some putty/filler/jb weld type thing I'm not sure what's best here. 
    edited July 2022
    Looking good 

The pics are interesting - I never really got my head around the construction of the body on those or indeed the Deluxes. The Deluxe also seems to be a pancake construction, with maybe 8-10 (?) separate pieces of timber moulded together, but with a bit more effort on the grain direction as they weren't painted. Wonder was the in-house MO on the Standard to go cherry red on the 2-3 piece bodies, and black on anything that with more ?

Whatever way they did it - the actual sandwiching looks really well done. Nice also to see the 3-piece construction on the neck coming through on that one of yours.
    Sarge said:
    Thanks fella, I love a challenge 
    I do have a set of Kawai/Mighty Mite cream for this, they're nice and bright but Super Distortions they are not.
    What are the pole spacing on the Donlis? I'm trying to keep within the original specs for this and the original Dimarzios were 49mm which isn't easy to find in replacements. 
    Aye they're not the original pitch either. I think they're Gibson spec - about 53/54mm, so definitely not the same as the originals. Higher output - as part of the plan was to wire it with a coil split option, and the received wisdom was that higher output coils work better than lower ones when you split them. Just checked, and the black ones in my Standard (which might be Kent Armstrong jobs if the PO owner is to be believed have the wider pitch too). Fwiw, whoever fitted them also put in two push-pull pots to split the coils on the pickups while they were at it. Gave the little Westbury a whole extra set of tones, which was a nice touch, which was why I was going to try to do the same with the cream ones.

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 9017
    edited July 2022
    Sarge said:

I will be wanting to add the little peak back into the top of the headstock though, wether to graft a piece of mahogany on (I do have some nice pieces from an old dresser I salvaged) 
    or shape some putty/filler/jb weld type thing I'm not sure what's best here. 
    When you originally said that the top of the headstock had been "sanded flat" I hadn't even noticed the missing peak and assumed you were talking about the face of the headstock.

If I was restoring the peak I would probably glue on a shaped piece of mahogany and fill in the "dent" caused by the slight rounding over of the headstock edge with hard-drying wood glue and mahogany sawdust mixed into a paste, or any other filler that can be sanded smoothly when dry/cured.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @AK99 I had a look online and the spacings are 50mm neck and 52 bridge.
    short of getting a pair of original Dimarzios I wasn't really considering other pickups than my existing kawai set. 
    Thanks for the offer though  :)
    Hey - no worries at all Sarge. I've a list of other 'projects' where they'll not go amiss :)

As an aside, dunno if you've ever seen the Westbury Owners section on BookFace ? There's one or two posters on there who've been through the mill on restorations. A reasonable place for info.
    AK99 said:
    Hey - no worries at all Sarge. I've a list of other 'projects' where they'll not go amiss :)

As an aside, dunno if you've ever seen the Westbury Owners section on BookFace ? There's one or two posters on there who've been through the mill on restorations. A reasonable place for info.
    Yeah I'm a member there already, this project has been posted there too :) 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    I would cut a v-shaped notch into the end of the headstock, larger than the missing peak, glue in a new piece of wood, then shape it back to original. That will be stronger as well as removing the round-over damage.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom